The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty

+5
rightchea
Umix10
Degarmo
DolFan 316
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty Empty Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty

Post by JMP Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article210285869.html

The Miami Dolphins are filling perhaps their biggest unmet need of the offseason by negotiating a trade with the Detroit Lions on Thursday for defensive tackle Akeem Spence, according to a source.

Spence, 26, is expected to come to the Dolphins for a late-round draft pick in 2019, the source said. He signed a three-year contract with the Lions as a free agent in 2017 and has two years remaining on that deal, which now moves to the Dolphins.

Spence, 6-foot-1 and 307 pounds, has been on the trade block in Detroit because the team hired former New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia. Patricia (and the pencil by his ear) as the new head coach. Patricia is bringing a different defensive scheme to the Lions than previous defensive coordinator Teryl Austin.  The Lions obviously decided Spence, a 4-3 defensive tackle, is not a fit in their new scheme.

The Dolphins are interested in Spence because he can gobble snaps and add competition in a defensive tackle rotation that includes presumed starters Jordan Phillips and Davon Godchaux and backup Vincent Taylor.

Spence was also valued by the Dolphins because new defensive line coach Kris Kocurek, a former NFL defensive tackle, coached and liked the player while he was the Lions defensive line coach before joining Miami in 2018.

The Dolphins inherit a contract that originally was scheduled to pay Spence a $3.15 million base salary this season and a $2.15 million base salary in 2019. But the Lions recently restructured that deal, dropping the 2018 base salary to $2.575 million. That -- a bargain for a veteran rotation defensive tackle -- will now be Spence's base salary with the Dolphins.

Spence started 11 games and had 39 combined tackles, including three sacks, for the Lions in 2017. The three sacks tied a career high Spence also achieved in 2014, when he played for Tampa Bay -- the team that drafted him in the fourth-round of the 2013 draft.

Spence is cheap and the new DL coach knows him, but this seems like a "meh" acquisition to me.  Spence is very small for a DT and is not known as a run stuffer, at all.  I suppose he can help some against the pass, but overall this is an underwhelming addition and doesn't address the Phins' suspect run defense.

Last edited by JMP on Sun May 06, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty Empty Re: Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty

Post by DolFan 316 Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Meh.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty Empty Re: Phins trade for DT Akeem Spence and add QB Bryce Petty

Post by Degarmo Thu May 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Pass rotation signing, no tingling toes.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu May 03, 2018 5:50 pm

JMP and I were just talking about this. Yeah nothing spectacular here. We need space eaters not playmakers on defensive line. We need Tim Bowens, Daryl Gardner, Paul Soliai type guys. Since we have undersized LB's who are quicker and faster, we need to keep those guys clean so they can shoot the running lanes on downs 1 and 2.

Like the way this guy did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQOPcJWC4A
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Miami didn't get a DT in the draft and should have grabbed one. My issue with this guys like JMP said he is smaller than most DT. Now if he was like Zach Thomas and played LB then it would be fine. Lets hope Miami know what they are doing.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Umix10 wrote:JMP and I were just talking about this.  Yeah nothing spectacular here.  We need space eaters not playmakers on defensive line.  We need Tim Bowens, Daryl Gardner, Paul Soliai type guys.  Since we have undersized LB's who are quicker and faster, we need to keep those guys clean so they can shoot the running lanes on downs 1 and 2.

Like the way this guy did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQOPcJWC4A

That's an A+ post right there. You reference Zach and TimBo in the same post, and I'm all in! cheers

Right now, we're putting our LBs on an island, with no help from the DL. Seems like a perfect strategy to have teams run all over us. We'll see how it turns out, but I don't have a good feeling about this.

The worst part is, we're building a pass rushing DL...but we really don't have a dominant pass rusher besides Old Man Wake and a declining Quinn.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu May 03, 2018 10:19 pm

The real issue is that we’ve never really had a true MLB since Thomas. People may never agree but he truly had the best football mind ever at the position. He was prepared, instinctive but smart. I just wished he played his whole career in Miami! He was the perfect fit for Gardner, Bowen’s And Taylor
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 04, 2018 6:55 am

You're going to do it. You're going to make me tell my Zach story again, aren't you?

You know, the one about how I just happened to see him scoop and score for the winning TD in a game I only watched because I was bored out of my mind all alone in my frat house, and how I remembered his name and when the Fins actually drafted him I was glad because my only impression of him was good, and how excited I was about the Fins signing Jack Del Rio and then how shocked I was when Zach beat him out of a job and out of the league as a player altogether and thinking damn, this guy was even better than I thought Shocked Scouts waste their time watching hours of tape on a player, I only had to see one game and really only one play to know Zach was the real deal Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am

Classic story, 316!

Other than Dan Marino, Zach is my favorite player ever. He was so awesome to watch.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Dan Marino is my all time favorite player. Zach is right next to him. I can't believe he's not in the Hall.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri May 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Umix10 wrote:Dan Marino is my all time favorite player.  Zach is right next to him.  I can't believe he's not in the Hall.

He will be eventually.

As for the trade, well, it does fill a need. I just feel we had ample opportunity to do that in the draft and didn't.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 04, 2018 3:21 pm

HalCHorn wrote:
Umix10 wrote:Dan Marino is my all time favorite player.  Zach is right next to him.  I can't believe he's not in the Hall.

He will be eventually.

As for the trade, well, it does fill a need.  I just feel we had ample opportunity to do that in the draft and didn't.

I like Ballage, but I think we're going to regret not taking Maurice Hurst with that pick. In fact, I would have taken Hurst instead of Smythe, who I feel was a very unnecessary pick considering blocking TEs are always available.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri May 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I really wanted Royce Freeman. I’m ok with the trade but a little queasy on the Smythe pick. There a ton more truly impactful starters we could have gotten with that pick. I am all for doubling down on talent but not polar opposites!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Umix10 wrote: a little queasy on the Smythe pick.  There a ton more truly impactful starters we could have gotten with that pick.

Exactly how I feel.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri May 04, 2018 4:37 pm

WTF?????????

Bryce Petty????????

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 pm

Joseph zucker wrote:The Miami Dolphins reportedly claimed quarterback Bryce Petty off waivers from the New York Jets.

Field Yates of ESPN first reported the update Friday.

In a move widely expected, the Jets waived Petty on Thursday. New York signed Teddy Bridgewater and re-signed Josh McCown earlier this offseason and then selected Sam Darnold with the No. 3 pick in the 2018 draft.

It was only a matter of time before the Jets let Petty go.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2774152-bryce-petty-reportedly-claimed-off-waivers-by-dolphins-after-release-by-jets

At least they didn't spend a draft pick on the guy

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Honestly, I’d rather have this guy as backup, than osweiller or fales. I think this is your classic, developmental QB. Maybe, he develops, maybe not. I think his upside is greater than either of the 2 we presently have.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 05, 2018 9:06 am

There is no upside to any of these guys as backup. Tannehill goes down so does Miami season. QB first round next draft

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 am

Petty??? And the league's worst QB room just got a little worse. What a joke. Gase the QB guru sure does love garbage QBs. Fucking fraud.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat May 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Might be marginally better than Fales. That's about it IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Miami doesn't need a QB guru they need a super bowl guru

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

rightchea wrote:Miami doesn't need a QB guru they need a super bowl guru

cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon May 07, 2018 4:43 am

No more offensive gurus as head coaches. Get a head coach, a leader of men.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 07, 2018 7:26 am

Degarmo wrote:No more offensive gurus as head coaches.  Get a head coach, a leader of men.

How many of those guys are even around anymore, though? Now we're entering the era of millennial coaches. You know, the generation who all strongly believe it's everyone else's fault when they make a mistake because they're the most special person in the entire universe.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon May 07, 2018 8:20 am

I think that the whole system has changed as a hole. Players being able to give feedback on who to pick up and who they should. It all a mess at the moment.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next