The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins have no firepower?

+2
white1
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Phins have no firepower? Empty Phins have no firepower?

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 am

Barnwell has the Phins' weapons (WR, RB, TE) ranked as the 2nd worst in the league. That's right 31 out of 32.

No team falls further in this year's rankings, as everything that looked promising for Miami in 2017 either didn't work out or didn't come back in 2018. Running back Jay Ajayi is gone and replaced by 35-year-old Frank Gore, who has nearly 15,000 carries on his back. Jarvis Landry has been swapped out for Danny Amendola and Albert Wilson, who have combined for two 100-yard games over the past two seasons. Tight end Julius Thomas whispered through a 388-yard, three-touchdown season, and he has been replaced in the lineup by second-rounder Mike Gesicki, a combination of round and position that has yet to produce even a 700-yard rookie season once. Kenny Stills was less efficient in a larger role, while DeVante Parker spent his presumed breakout season struggling with an ankle injury. The most exciting player left might be halfback Kenyan Drake, who could be squeezed by Gore and rookie fourth-rounder Kalen Ballage.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24045670/ranking-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-weapons-2018

agree or disagree?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins have no firepower? Empty Re: Phins have no firepower?

Post by white1 Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 am

Mmmm... I'm not enthralled with the Fins roster or anything, but this is an overly pessimistic view.

Plus, it fails to take two things into account. We got much better at guard, and will likely not miss Pouncey at center either (given his injury history and ability to even practice regularly).

Also, we get Tannehill back, a big upgrade over Cutler - even if he is (as most expect) - a "middle of the pack" QB.

Drake showed he's a playmaker, and Gore has consistently delivered even over the past 4 years. Plus we added Ballage to give further depth to the unit. Each back has pass catching skills that Ajayi will never have.

Julius Thomas set the bar so low, Gesicki almost HAS to be an upgrade. Plus we added a road grader to beef up our two tight end sets.

Receiver is probably the least important position on the field. I'm fine with the current mix. We also have decent depth here. Sure, we have no sure-fire stud #1 receiver. But in today's game, IMO, it's not necessary.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:07 pm

WELL...when it's put that way, it seems really depressing Crying or Very sad Especially because I agree.

It's only a matter of time before Drake gets hurt, since he was injury-prone in college which is why he fell to the Fins in the draft to begin with. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gore retired in midseason. The guards are old and past it. At center, Kilgore has an injury history of his own. There's no way Tannehill will be even as good as he was before, not this season. Parker's a bust and Stills is too preoccupied with that SJW thing. And apparently Gesicki has skinny legs so how much could he possibly contribute?

The Fins lost more talent than they gained last offseason and we all saw the results. They've now done this for a second straight offseason. I expect further regression.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Well, it's not like we're loaded with playmakers on offense. Parker has been a lit match away from being a dumpster fire, Stills is invisible more often than not, Amendola is an aging possession receiver, Wilson has been little more than a #4 receiver in his career, and smurfs have to look down to see Grant. Add in two rookie TEs, and yeah...I'm not overly impressed with the receiving corps. At RB, Drake and Old Man Gore provide a nice 1-2 punch, with Ballage probably being the receiving back, but I don't know what to expect from Drake as a full-time starter, Gore has one foot in the grave and Ballage is a rookie.

IF the OL improves, IF Tannehill steps up at age 30, IF key players stay healthy, IF the coaching staff gets their heads out of their collective ass...then maybe we'll have something. But that's an awful lot of "ifs", and with Gase's track record of fielding garbage offenses in Chicago and Miami, I need to see it before I believe it.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:54 am

JMP wrote:But that's an awful lot of "ifs"

so true. things that must happen in order for the Phins to be good:

So what if Tannehill plays like the quarterback who was 12th among NFL starters in passer rating at 93.5 in 2016 before his injury — ahead of Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson and Philip Rivers, among many others?

What if Kenyan Drake plays — over a full year — like the player who was sixth in the NFL in rushing average at 4.8 last season and averaged more yards after contact than any other NFL running back over the final five weeks?

What if Mike Gesicki — the Dolphins’ highest draft pick at tight end this century – becomes as skilled an NFL player as he was in college?

What if these skilled top five receivers (DeVante Parker, Kenny Stills, Danny Amendola, Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant) rank among the top three quintets in the AFC?

What if this offensive line with two first-round picks (Laremy Tunsil and Ja’Wuan James) and a four-time Pro Bowler (Josh Sitton) blossoms?

What if Robert Quinn, at 28, is anything close to the player who had 19 sacks five years ago?

What if Raekwon McMillan becomes Miami’s best middle linebacker since Zach Thomas?

What if Xavien Howard starts playing routinely like the guy who was exceptional in that Patriots Monday night game?

What if Minkah Fitzpatrick solves the Dolphins’ problem of being repeatedly victimized by opposing tight ends?

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article213925554.html

the real contenders (Philly, NE, Pitts, etc.) have a few "ifs" here and there, but the Phins have a laundry list of things that most of which don't seem very likely to happen.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am

mercury22nathan wrote:the real contenders (Philly, NE, Pitts, etc.) have a few "ifs" here and there, but the Phins have a laundry list of things that most of which don't seem very likely to happen.

I think you meant a Landry list, amirite? Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 am

oh i get it. i see what you did there. Landry - laundry.

ba-dum-chh. try the veal folks. D316 will be here all week. lol!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Yep...way too many IFs for any Phin Phan to be comfortable IMO.

Even if only HALF of the IFs turn out favorably for the Phins, this is gonna be at best a mediocre season IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:59 pm

I think the article is far more close to correct that it is to pessimistic.

Don't forget, the person who is arranging this flower display is Adam Gase, a fraud.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down