The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips!

+4
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
8 posters

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips! Empty BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips!

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Armando Salguero
‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero

The Miami Dolphins are cutting Jordan Phillips, per source.
1:04 PM - 2 Oct 2018

Last edited by JMP on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips! Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips!

Post by white1 Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm

OMG I'm already over the Patriots loss! If this is what it took to cut bait on the underachieving, underwhelming overdrafted Phillips then I am all for it.

Okay that was mostly tongue in cheek. But he's never lived up close to his potential. Surprised he lasted this long. Probably should have been done in the offseason, but I'm splitting hairs. I guess it's hard to cut cheap talent unless it's plainly obvious he's not worth the trouble. Clearly we reached that decision point.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips! Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Phins cut Jordan Phillips!

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Apparently he yelled at the coaches on the sideline Sunday for getting almost zero playing time.

Funny thing is, I thought Phillips was actually playing OK this season - not great by any means, but serviceable. Hard to believe we couldn't get anything for him in a trade.

Oh, well. Another wasted draft pick bites the dust.

And while we're speaking of DT - Vince Taylor should be getting much more playing time. He's been our best DT IMO, even with limited snaps.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:34 pm

This is more drama on a team that ALWAYS has drama. Why do we have to constantly "fix" the locker room???

Actually, I know why...it's because we have zero leadership.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Phillips apparently tweeted "I couldn't be happier to be out of there".

So, despite all the changes this offseason, it appears that there's still at least somewhat of a disconnect between the coaches and players. It never ends...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm

My guess is that Gase wanted to add a 5th QB to the roster, and someone had to go to make room. lol!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:50 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-jordan-phillips-20181002-story.html

The Miami Dolphins have released defensive tackle Jordan Phillips, whose questionable work ethic often irritated Miami's coaches.

Phillips, a 2015 second-round pick, contributed five tackles and one sack in the four games he played this season.

The former Oklahoma standout started 26 games and contributed 66 tackles, 5.5 sacks and one interception during the 48 games he played in his four-year tenure with the Dolphins.

“No longer a Miami Dolphin. Good luck to my brothers on the team. I’ll miss ya’ll, but I couldn’t be happier to be out of there,” Phillip wrote on his Instagram account. “Free at last. Free at last….I’m in my bag. Don’t take it personal. Sometimes you got to put your future in your own hands and live with it.”

According to a team source, Phillips’ release is meant to send a message to the locker room following Sunday’s 38-7 loss to the New England Patriots, a game where Miami’s defensive line got owned by the Patriots, which rushed for 174 yards and two touchdowns on 40 carries.

Miami’s defensive tackle play was so troublesome the Patriots interior linemen were consistently reaching the linebackers to produce second level blocks. After the game numerous Dolphins players blamed the unit’s lack of discipline for the defense’s poor showing.

Phillips’ release leaves the Dolphins extremely thin at defensive tackle because Akeem Spence, Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor are the only players left to play the interior spots. However, the Dolphins are expected to sign a veteran to replace Phillips before Wednesday’s practice.

See the part I bolded? This is a common theme for Gase and his staff: when something goes wrong, choose a player to throw under the bus. This time, it's Jordan Phillips - who, incidentally, was on the field for less than 25 of the Patriots' 80 (or so) plays. So, yeah, apparently the DT that played the least is the reason we got our asses kicked. No Couldn't have anything to do with the garbage gameplan the coaches put together, could it??? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm

I hear you. This kind of move was welcome in the first season. Now that it's been the same move made three seasons in a row (last year was the Ajayi trade) it's getting tiresome. Whatever the "message" is, it might be getting lost in translation.

Still, they got it right with Phillips IMO. Never blossomed, poor motor, poor work ethic, and he's being outplayed by not one but two lower-round draft picks each in their 2nd year (Taylor and Godchaux are both better IMO).

I'd expect the Fins to elevate Malveaux from the practice squad.

It's a fair question to ask. Is Parker next?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:59 pm

And now watch Phillips get signed by a team that wins the Super Bowl...

But seriously, this is a meh move as far as I'm concerned. Not really understanding how, at a time when multiple players are getting injured every week, Gase can be cutting anybpdy TBH. But it's not as if I'm heartbroken about it either. Just adds more dead money for next season when the Fins already have more of it than any other team in 2019 thanks to the Suh thing.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Just think, there’s 12 more players to be cut before the end of Gase. I mean the year. Hell, we’ve won3 more games than I thought we would.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 pm

white1 wrote:I hear you.  This kind of move was welcome in the first season.  Now that it's been the same move made three seasons in a row (last year was the Ajayi trade) it's getting tiresome.  Whatever the "message" is, it might be getting lost in translation.

Still, they got it right with Phillips IMO. Never blossomed, poor motor, poor work ethic, and he's being outplayed by not one but two lower-round draft picks each in their 2nd year (Taylor and Godchaux are both better IMO).

I'd expect the Fins to elevate Malveaux from the practice squad.  

It's a fair question to ask.  Is Parker next?

It's the timing of the move that I question.  Our DL depth has gotten progressively worse since the season started, and Phillips has at least played decent so far and had a sack (Taylor is the only other Miami DT with a sack).  If Phillips isn't good enough now, why was he good enough 4 weeks ago?  And if his attitude and work ethic have been a problem, why did he make the team this season at all?  Shouldn't he have been part of the "culture change"?  Seems like just another scapegoat to take the blame for poor coaching.  Bottom line: whatever you think of Phillips, the depth at DT is now significantly worse than it was, and the amazing DT rotation that we heard so much about is now dead in the water.

And I find it very interesting that Landry, Suh, Pouncey and now Phillips all seemed VERY happy to get away from Gase and the Dolphins.  This is not going to end well...

Last edited by JMP on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:34 pm

It's not a message at all. Gase is Philbin, Philbin is Gase, when it comes to personality. They can't have anyone getting emotional and yelling or they get all queasy.

Every guy that's opened his mouth has been sent packing.

Gase is not a leader of men, he's a fraud. If he really wanted to send a message, he would have got in his face on the sidelines in front of the team like a god-damned man.

Bunch of sissy she-men pussies nowadays. Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Degarmo wrote:It's not a message at all.  Gase is Philbin, Philbin is Gase, when it comes to personality.  They can't have anyone getting emotional and yelling or they get all queasy.

Every guy that's opened his mouth has been sent packing.

Gase is not a leader of men, he's a fraud.  If he really wanted to send a message, he would have got in his face on the sidelines in front of the team like a god-damned man.  

Bunch of sissy she-men pussies nowadays.  Razz

I know I said this before, but men today literally have less testosterone in them than ever before, and their fathers had less than their dads, etc. This is very real and has been occurring over generations now, and nobody knows why. It also explains a lot in terms of why pretty much all men 35 and under today act like little boys or teen girls. Modern men are simply more fragile physically and emotionally. Guys our age look like John Wayne compared to them, and we're limp-wristed nancy boys compared to our granddads. Women now act more like men than men do.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:57 am

Things like this always worked out for Belicheck. Not so much here.

Cutting a Dallas Thomas in 2016 not only sent a message, but made sense, because he never looked like an NFL player to begin with.

Sending away productive players like Ajayi, not so much.

Sending away depth players at suddenly thin positions due to injuries, well, we seem to be entering Captain Queeg territory three years in.

Amazing, the season's over. At least we were competitive for a month longer than all of us thought.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:00 am

A win over Cincy would go a long way towards getting us back on track. Tough team.

With our deficiencies it will take a unique effort from this squad.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:26 am

white1 wrote:A win over Cincy would go a long way towards getting us back on track. Tough team.

With our deficiencies it will take a unique effort from this squad.

You're right - beating the Bengals would be HUGE. I just don't see it happening. That Cincy defense is tough as nails, especially the DL. And, they're getting LB Vontaze Burfict back this week. They've given up a lot of points, but those D-linemen should destroy our ragtag OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:34 am

but those D-linemen should destroy our ragtag OL

Yep. I'll offer this optimistic view now that I've recovered from our annual humiliation.

This squad under Gase has been known to throw it's share of surprises. That first 200 yard rushing effort by Ajayi comes to mind. Also the victory over NE last year. Sometimes, we win games we have no business winning.

Like you said, the Bengals DL SHOULD outmatch the o-line we are piecing together. I would not be at all surprised if the game turns out differently than we expect...

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 pm

I agree, Phillips has the athletic ability to be FAR BETTER than he has shown, but....

When your idea of Coaching and Player development is to "make an example" of someone to SCARE the other players into doing what you want, then I think you have FAILED as a Head Coach.

I did not expect 6 wins this season, so I am far ahead of what I had been hoping for, but I am back to thinking this may be the beginning of an EPIC CRASH AND BURN!!!

At some point, this kind of "discipline" will lose it's effectiveness IMO.

I sincerely HOPE not, but how long can you keep cutting players before the rest of the team figures out, "Hey? It ain't us, it's HIM!"

Go Phins!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:29 pm

The scare tactic seems to only work when players know they might be next on the chopping block but the issue is that Miami has no one else to cover the players they get rid of. I mean who is really going to take Philips spot. Miami has too many QB and for the fact that they need to still fix the LB issue doesn't make much sense.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:49 pm

The Bills signed him.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/bills-claim-dt-jordan-phillips-off-waivers-from-dolphins

I can guarantee that Phillips will now personally eat the Fins for lunch this season. Twice. He'll be invisible against every other team of course.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The Bills signed him.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/bills-claim-dt-jordan-phillips-off-waivers-from-dolphins

I can guarantee that Phillips will now personally eat the Fins for lunch this season. Twice. He'll be invisible against every other team of course.

LOL

I would not bet against that outcome.

Remember how Irving Fryar( I think it was??) put it on the Phins after JJ dumped him?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 am

finfanatic wrote:Remember how Irving Fryar( I think it was??) put it on the Phins after JJ dumped him?

And then there was Keith Byars, who literally gave the Pats the entire Fins playbook after JJ dumped him, resulting in the Pats beating the Fins three times in '97 Evil or Very Mad Also Dan Carpenter, who won a game for the Bills the first time he faced the Fins after being let go and made all 20 of his FGs against them. Then there was that Wes Welker guy. I'm sure people can think of a few more. For some odd reason though, there doesn't seem to be any players who did this in reverse (got dumped by a team, signed by the Fins, and got revenge).

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

That's a good landing spot for Phillips. The Bills have a defensive-minded head coach that runs a sound, proven defensive system. If he's going to be successful anywhere, Buffalo is his best bet.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:24 pm

JMP wrote:That's a good landing spot for Phillips.  The Bills have a defensive-minded head coach that runs a sound, proven defensive system.  If he's going to be successful anywhere, Buffalo is his best bet.  

Hope he doesn't yell at anyone in Buffalo. He might get his arse beaten soundly!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down