The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles Clay released

5 posters

Go down

Charles Clay released Empty Charles Clay released

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Just saw a tweet that Charles Clay was released, should Miami go back after their 6th pick from a couple of years back

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Charles Clay released Empty Re: Charles Clay released

Post by scotgif Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:30 am

No thanks. Let's draft our players, not pick up expensive FA's. I know he is probably making a boat-load of money. Pass.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Arizona signed him.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:22 pm

Adding an older TE doesn't make much sense at this stage. We need to develop Gesicki and Smythe first and foremost.

Instead of another TE, what I'd love to see is a legit fullback added to the roster, so we can stop using TEs in that role.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Totally agree, no spot for Clay here. I liked O'Leary last year, seems like he has a good mix of size, blocking and catching ability. Also he's only 26 years old, so matches the youth we are looking for during this rebuild. Culture is a big part of that, hard to do with old and experienced vets.

I'm curious to see if Gesicki can develop under a PROFESSIONAL coaching staff. Clearly the scouting side of the organization saw something in him to take him in the 2nd round. Let's be honest, Gase was in over his head on how to structure an offense and get the most out of your playmakers. It seemed to me like the old staff said, collectively, "oh man he can't block no way to get him on the field". If he's got size and speed and can catch, there is ALWAYS a way to get him on the field. Let's see.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Yep, O'Leary should get a long look, and seems like a keeper. I think he has skills as a receiver that this new staff will really like. My only concern is that O'Leary and especially Gesicki are poor blockers...Smythe may end up being a bigger part of this offense than expected, because he is the best all-around TE on the roster.

Interestingly, another former Phins TE was also cut: the Bears just dumped Dion Sims. He might actually be a decent option for the Phins, because he's still young (28 I think) and can block AND catch. And he should be cheap.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Interestingly, another former Phins TE was also cut: the Bears just dumped Dion Sims. He might actually be a decent option for the Phins, because he's still young (28 I think) and can block AND catch. And he should be cheap.

I noticed that also! Wow, Chicago REALLY overpaid for him. Would be a nice, cheap add I agree.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Sims is coming off an injury-plagued season, but he hasn't been injury-prone in his career. He was definitely a free agent bust for Chicago, but I think he could fill the Patriots' Dwayne Allen role for the Phins: a solid blocker that can be trusted as a receiver on occasion. That is what Smythe should be, but if he's not ready Sims would be a nice fall-back option (if he's healthy) at a minimal salary.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 am

Yeah I would view signing Sims as a solid, cost-effective addition to this roster.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

At this point, I think Miami should be extremely selective on who they bring in. I don't think older vets get any preferred treatment. I think we stick to the theme of bringing in youth and hunger. No one over 30 should be getting anything. Not even a league minimum. Again I know we are eventually going to have to bring in some fodder but it doesnt have to be right now. The theme is get young and get cheap as fast as possible. It doesnt mean tanking but the problems on the field certainly have a lot to do with the money we spend/spent/ will spend on over priced F/A's. Control the problem first, not the situation!!!!!! That's how we build a championship team.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:06 pm

Agreed, Umix. I wouldn't add any new players over 30 until the end of the offseason, and then only if it's absolutely necessary and they're at or near league minimum.

I'd like to add young free agents that maybe didn't play up to expectations on their first contract, so now they'll be available at a cheaper price - but still have upside. A guy like LB Anthony Barr, who was a bit of disappointment as a Viking but could flourish in this new system.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 pm

If Miami becomes the youngest team in the NFL. I would already call it a successful season!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:10 am

Miami would really need to find a way to not only get young players but players that are good enough to build around. No point of getting young players that is not worth keeping aka Devante Parker.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down