The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Sign Fitzpatrick

+6
JMP
white1
HalCHorn
finskev
Degarmo
DolFan 316
10 posters

Go down

Fins Sign Fitzpatrick  Empty Fins Sign Fitzpatrick

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Just saw it on the bottom of the screen while watching college hoops like I've been doing for the last 10 days straight.

And here's the link. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26290095/source-qb-fitzpatrick-agrees-dolphins-deal

The floor is yours.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Sign Fitzpatrick  Empty Re: Fins Sign Fitzpatrick

Post by Degarmo Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:35 pm

I can't find any of the details of the deal, but I was 100 percent sure they would sign him.

Fine, I like him, and he knows why he's coming here.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:39 pm

Even with Fitzpatrick this is still a 4-12 team to me, So I won’t bitch to much even though Playing Falk would have been Interesting.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:41 pm

Two years 11 million with incentives that could push total deal to 17-20 Million.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Perfectly all right with me, reasonable price for a guy who you know can start.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 am

Exactly the QB we were looking for.

Veteran, smart, a mentor. And cheap so he doesn’t screw up the comp formula.

If Falk, Rudock or a rookie qb shows they’re ready they will earn the job.

The message is simple: show you’re better than Fitz and it’s your job. Imagine, a competition to start at QB like every other position on the field!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:16 am

This is about as good as you could expect. Veteran QB that knows his place, with a dirt-cheap contract. And, he'll help us get a high draft pick in 2020!

Fitz is actually a very likeable guy, and he will be very popular in the locker room (unlike Tannehill).

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:09 pm

All great points, but what if we are witness to some of that "Fitz-Magic" ?!?!?

What if he starts hitting WRs on deep post patterns, on deep sideline routes like he did in Tampa bay a few years ago?

What if he screws up the whole "Tank for Tua" strategy!?!?!

Aiiiieeeeeeee!!!!

Okay, I feel better now.

Very Happy

Nah, I think the Phins will probably be looking at a very high draft pick next year. Even if we are witness to some "Fitz-Magic."
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Fitz-Magic always seems to be balanced out by a greater amount of Fitz-Crap, so I think we'll be OK. Very Happy

But - I don't think we'll lose enough games to get the #1 pick. Which means we'll have to trade up to get there...and that's fine with me.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Great for 3-4 games, then mediocre. Mediocre is being nice.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm

But - I don't think we'll lose enough games to get the #1 pick. Which means we'll have to trade up to get there...and that's fine with me.

Agree. Also, evals on the 2020 QB draft class aren't even close to done yet, nor do we know for sure who will declare.

If there are multiple prospects we end up liking, it's possible we would stay pat at #2 or 3 overall and let one fall to us. If we're further down, yeah I see giving up whatever it takes to trade for one of the top picks.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm

I feel like there will be some players that won't declare such as the QB from Clemson.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:35 pm

I would wait to get Lawrence. That kid looks like the real deal, once in a generation thing.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:31 am

I am expecting a lot of excitement with Fitz. He could have some 4td-3 pick games and some 2 td-4 pick games, a couple 400 yd games. In other words, he will do and be what he has always done and been, a mediocre, backup type of QB that can sling the rock all over the filed (including to the other team). I see 4-12 this year. All said, I am hoping those four wins are some FITZMAGIC. I want a couple 400 yrd games. Believe it or not, I am actually looking forward to seeing some young guys step up and get a chance to prove themselves and to see how our new FO adds young, cheap talent to build on for the future.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 pm

Believe it or not, I am actually looking forward to seeing some young guys step up and get a chance to prove themselves and to see how our new FO adds young, cheap talent to build on for the future.

Me too.

Bridgewater would have been interesting to watch because he's still young and has a chance to develop further. Tyrod Taylor, honestly would have been kind of boring because we know what he is.

I wasn't thinking much about Fitz until we signed him. He has had some exciting games, and he throws picks because he has the gunslinger mentality to fit the ball into spaces his arm can't handle. That's fine. What a refreshing change from ultra-conservative, don't-lose-the-game, throw it short of the sticks, 3 and out Tannehill.

Let it fly baby! If Stills is still here (big IF IMO because I think we trade him away too) I have no doubt we will see some bombs thrown to him. Wilson and Grant have speed to, so this could become an exciting attack. Probably not a winning one, too many holes on this roster.

Don't get me started on defense. We might be worse than last year trying to transition to a new scheme with very few veterans.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice posts, SG and W1.

Well, if they could fix the O-line, and the Phins could get a running game going consistently, anything is possible I guess. Not very likely, but....

Yeah, I do not think the re-shaping of the roster is in any way complete. I hope the new FO takes the draft and develop approach and doesn't do the stupid stuff we have witnessed recently.

I never did get a clear indicator of exactly what the heck Tannenbaum and Gase were doing. Apparently, Tannebaum was doing his own thing, and Gase was doing whatever the heck he wanted without regard to the personnel decisions?

Just another sad scroogied-up situation from another pathetic Phins front office and coaching staff.

Let's hope we can get some VERY CLEAR indicators from this free agency period and the draft. It would be extremely nice to be able to discern the PLAN, or at the very least see that the Front Office HAS a PLAN!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 am

finfanatic wrote:I never did get a clear indicator of exactly what the heck Tannenbaum and Gase were doing. Apparently, Tannebaum was doing his own thing, and Gase was doing whatever the heck he wanted without regard to the personnel decisions?

It's impossible to know what certain people want when THEY don't even know what they want.

I missed the "egads" and the "scroogied ups". Seriously. Keep on with your courtly ways cheers And I'll keep being a poodle Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

DF316 wrote:I missed the "egads" and the "scroogied ups". Seriously. Keep on with your courtly ways cheers And I'll keep being a poodle Cool

Laughing

Thanks... I think... Razz

After due consideration and some soul-searching, I admitting my initial thoughts on the Phins and their QB needs for THIS SEASON was all wrong.  After perusing the crop of QBs in this draft, and what the Phins could trade for or sign this season, I had resigned myself to another LOST SEASON without any prospects for a franchise QB. nothing looked like a surefire franchise QB IMO.

Well, it suddenly occurred to me that this thinking is EXACTLY WHY the Phins NEVER seem to come up with a franchise QB! And it is entirely the WRONG STRATEGY to take when you do not have a a viable option at arguably the NFL's most important position: quarterback.

You HAVE TO HAVE a franchise QB or everything else you are doing is pretty much useless IMHO.

So, just because the prospects for getting a slam-dunk Franchise QB look slim in this draft, my original draft strategy for team's without a franchise QB still holds water for the Phins (or any other team in a similar situation) : Draft a QB EVERY YEAR until you hit on one.

I am not suggesting draft three or four prospective QBs, but the Phins should go into each round with the mindset of "Okay, in Round 3 if Will Grier is there, we draft him, and if he isn't we go with the other positions."

Okay, in Round 5, Kyle Shurmur is the next Chad Pennington and if he is there, we draft him, and if he isn't, we draft..."

But the strategy will work. It will even work if you HAVE a franchise QB. Look at what the Pats have done with Garrapalo and Brissett. They have Tom Terrific (Grrrrr!) but they keep bringing in young guys to develop, and if they do develop, they trade them off for valuable picks.

For the Phins, if there is ANY CHANCE the QB Prospect could develop into something special, it would be TREASONOUS (to the team) to draft that Edge Rusher they really need instead IMO.  Get the franchise QB and then you can draft for need!

I have even reconsidered on the whole trade for Josh Rosen thing! If Grier feels like Rosen is the real deal, do it! Get the franchise QB and THEN you can worry about fixing the other holes on the team.

Bring the draft picks, trades, signees in, and let them compete. Keep the top three based on whatever metrics of age/cap/developmental ability/etc... you wish, and cut the others loose. And then do it all over again next year UNTIL you hit on that elusive franchise QB.

This assumes you have a GM who is not one os those nitwits who gives preference to his draft picks even when it has been revealed the draft pick stinks. Usually, when you draft a QB highly, and then you draft another QB the next year, you runt he risk of losing your job, and/or unnerving the first QB you drafted.

Grier should tell the QBs up front: "I am gonna do everything in my power to get a franchise QB. Until one of you guys shows you are the real deal, I am gonna trade, draft or sign any QB I think has a chance to become a franchise QB. If you cannot handle that, then I am sorry. Suck it up, buttercup!"
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 am

Great thoughts, FF and I agree with you whole heartedly.

I have even reconsidered on the whole trade for Josh Rosen thing! If Grier feels like Rosen is the real deal, do it! Get the franchise QB and THEN you can worry about fixing the other holes on the team.

I would be very interested to know what this front office team (especially Grier, Allen and McKenzie) think about Rosen.

The Cardinals are very likely to draft Murray number one overall. When that happens, they will be willing to move Rosen for cheap. A 3rd round pick may very well get it done.

I wouldn't spend that pick unless I had the opinion that there's a reasonable chance he turns into a franchise caliber QB over time.

Last year's Cardinals team was a disaster. I'd lean heavily on the scouting report from college the previous year, and look at individual plays from last season to see if you can ferret out NFL strengths and weaknesses.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 am

Yeah, I was not a Rosen fan, but there are some NFL gurus who think he is gonna be at the very least "GOOD" in the NFL. And one guy on the NFL Network who wants to have Rosen's babies it sounds like!

I will leave it up to the professionals, like I always do, until they prove they are Jen-You-Wine Goobers.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Rosen seem awkward in the NFL. He looks like he going to have a Tannehill type career

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down