The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Not Tanking

+3
JMP
rightchea
white1
7 posters

Go down

We Are Not Tanking Empty We Are Not Tanking

Post by white1 Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 am

Grier said it, but my analysis of the team moves agrees.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/26/chris-grier-were-not-tanking-i-dont-know-what-well-be-this-year/

So for all of this "Tank for Tua" and the other nonsense, I do not for one second believe it. Nor have I ever believed it. Let's look at our offseason so far.

Here's a summary of the notable transactions we've made to date:

- Released an old, injury prone left guard - a mistake by Gase (sitton).
- Released another old, inconsistent OL in Larsen.
- We let an inconsistent, sometimes-very-good, sometimes-not RT leave via free agency (J James). He's now the highest paid RT in football, underscoring how ridiculous FA has become.
- Traded away our 7 year starting QB, who proved beyond a reasonable doubt he's not the guy to lead a team to the Superbowl. Wisely, restructured his contract and paid part of the freight in order to acquire a 2020 4th round pick.
- Signed a QB in free agency - cheap - who has proven he can be BETTER than Tannehill, and actually led the NFL in 3 statistical measures last season.
- Declined to sign the age-defying, best DE in recent history Cameron Wake.
- Cut Andre Branch, an overpaid veteran DE who never played up to the level of his contract.
- Acquired two TEs to shore up a unit with a lot of question marks. The veterans should allow a new role to be crafted for Gesicki, who can be a weapon in the passing game, just don't ask him to block.

Yes, there are holes on this roster. No, we don't have any superstars.

However, these transactions do not scream TANK to me. Not at all. This is how a wise GM would approach this roster. We don't have a starting QB. Never did. Tannehill was the starter in name only. He wasn't good enough. Period.

So Grier dumped the overpriced veterans, the aging players. He released players that have shown a track record of frequent injuries. He moved a ton of salary off the books. And he didn't dive into free agency looking to make a "splash".

This, in my opinion, is the smart approach to building a team. It's fun to say "build through the draft". Well, Grier is doing the hard work to prepare for that. I think we will see a "BPA" approach to the draft, and in fact we will draft a QB somewhere because there has to be at least one we are going to like enough to select. Following the draft, maybe June timeframe, we'll add more cheap, journeyman free agents to fill out the roster for depth.

This team is not building to LOSE IN 2019, LETS GO 0-16!

Not in my opinion. We're going to build the foundation, and draft players who can fortify the trenches on both sides of the ball. In the course of laying that foundation, and adding to some of the young talent we have in place, I think Fitzpatrick is going to lead this team to more than a few wins.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

We Are Not Tanking Empty Re: We Are Not Tanking

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 am

I have to agree, miami is not in the field of going 0-16. I see miami trading down to get more picks. the after they will gather more FA before camp to see who really deserves to be a Dolphin

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:56 am

We're NOT actively tanking. What Grier is doing is trying to clean up as much of Tannenbaum's mess as possible this season, so that we will be in much better position in 2020 and beyond. Tannenbaum left both the roster and the cap in horrible shape, so Grier is dumping as many of the bad contracts as he can and avoiding adding more bad contracts, while also trying to accumulate draft picks. While Grier is doing that, Flores and his staff will be laying the foundation for the type of team the Miami Dolphins will be both on the field and in the locker room moving forward.

What that means is we are not going to be big players in free agency this season, and the 2019 roster will be built with younger, cheaper players. If the result of that is a bad record in 2019 - so be it. But again, the goal is to make this team a perennial contender instead of a one-year wonder, and the first step is to get the house in order.

For the first time since Jimmy Johnson was running the show, the Dolphins have an actual plan - and it seems like they're going to stick with it. We'll see if the plan works...but it is refresshing to see this team have a definite direction.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:16 pm

Agreed, JMP, we're not actively tanking, but certain things need to be done at the expense of the present for the near future.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 am

agreed. i don't think the Phins are tanking, i just think they won't be talented enough to appear not to be tanking...at least for now. but it is a necessary process that will hopefully payoff.

and hey, even when it looked like they were trying to win, they still ended up with the same poor results.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:28 pm

All I want is a sound defensive scheme and a real offense that attacks and features the running game.

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Many, MANY teams in this league have slanted so far towards defending the pass they are vulnerable to a power running attack. I want us to have a fullback on the field, and I want to see a varied, power rushing attack. Play action off that, and deep strikes to round out an unpredictable offense.

GET RID OF THAT GARBAGE wide nine and never think about it again. I know this will be done, but I can't wait to see a grown-up scheme on the field on defense. Press the damn corners too, enough of all this zone. News flash: Tom Brady KNOWS how to attack a zone and he's very good at it. Also, none of his receivers are a threat, so lock up on them and bring pressure. It will work - I've seen it work!

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm

white wrote: I want us to have a fullback on the field

This. That's what I want on offense more than anything: a true FB for smashmouth football when we need it. You want a tough, hard-nosed offense? Use a FB! Sign one as an undrafted FA, or even use a 7th...a guy like Alec Ingold (Wisconsin) or George Aston (Pitt). I also like Trevon Wesco (West Virginia) - a TE that is converting to FB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:30 pm

It's actually time to bring back the full-service fullback again like Moose Johnston or Keith Byars or Tom Rathman. Rams also proved that the running game is working again if done well.

I'm very over the one-back system.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Degarmo wrote:It's actually time to bring back the full-service fullback again like Moose Johnston or Keith Byars or Tom Rathman.  Rams also proved that the running game is working again if done well.

Using the team that could only muster up 3 points in a Super Bowl in the most offense-oriented time of NFL history isn't the smartest thing you've ever done Razz

I'm now assuming this season will be like all the rest, out of playoff contention in October followed by 2-3 meaningless December wins to ruin the draft stock. But apparently there's supposed to be an actual point to it now. We'll see.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:34 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:But apparently there's supposed to be an actual point to it now. We'll see.

Indeed - we'll see. If we don't see a significant jump in 2020...then, back to the drawing board - AGAIN.

But, I am feeling...what's that word? Oh yeah, optimistic. This feels very different than the long stretch of ineptitude we've suffered through. Like I said, it's refreshing to at least see a plan in place - and one that makes some sense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 pm

I think it will be 2021 before we see a payoff this time. But it just might be worth it.

Generation-long (literally) clusterfucks take awhile to fix.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:52 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:It's actually time to bring back the full-service fullback again like Moose Johnston or Keith Byars or Tom Rathman.  Rams also proved that the running game is working again if done well.

Using the team that could only muster up 3 points in a Super Bowl in the most offense-oriented time of NFL history isn't the smartest thing you've ever done Razz

Bellichick knew Goff was average at best. He stacked against the run and let Goff lose the game all by himself.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Degarmo wrote:Bellichick knew Goff was average at best.  He stacked against the run and let Goff lose the game all by himself.

In other words, teams still ultimately have to pass successfully to win Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:59 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Bellichick knew Goff was average at best.  He stacked against the run and let Goff lose the game all by himself.

In other words, teams still ultimately have to pass successfully to win Cool

Of course you have to pass to win. Running isn't an afterthought now though. It can help you win a bunch of games, AND it can help average QBs play much better. Too bad Goff's best day is average.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum