The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Make Miami Great Again

+4
DolFan 316
JMP
JEGnj
CarsonChris
8 posters

Go down

Make Miami Great Again Empty Make Miami Great Again

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:10 pm

Just no to Josh Rosen!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Make Miami Great Again Empty Re: Make Miami Great Again

Post by JEGnj Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:29 pm

I have no problem with this and support it. We should have a great player in Wilkins. We have Fitz starting with Rosen learning and we still tank next year for high draft pick for QB and if Roaen shows promise we can trade for draft picks.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:33 pm

I would lean toward a big "NO" on Rosen. But if the price goes down to a 4th or 5th, it's hard to pass up. He does have some skill to work with, and the Cards would take the cap hit for all his guaranteed money, so it really would be low risk if the compensation isn't high. I'd much rather use that 4th or 5th rounder on Easton Stick, but a Rosen trade does make some sense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:44 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again, Rosen is just an SJW masquerading as a football player. He's an even worse version of Kaepernick, only without the brief moment of actual good play. Did I mention he's a crappy QB?

What I love is how the media's making excuses for him. Oh, he played for a defensive coach like Goff with Fisher!!! Oh, he played on a horrible team and had nothing to work with!!! And then this same media is practically begging for the Fins to trade for him and don't even see the irony Laughing Laughing Laughing

I tell the Cards to take one of the two 7ths and like it. Otherwise, no deal.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:36 am

Willing to keep an open mind on this. Obviously not crazy about it, but...

He is 22. His rookie season sucked, but take a look at the rookie years for Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman, among others. Way too early to say that Rosen can't live up to his draft status.

If he sucks in 2019, then we will be taking another QB in what looks to be a great draft to get one. Our choices to start trying to get one this year boiled down to using # 62 on Rosen, or # 13 on Haskins. We will just have to see if the latter would have been the wiser move.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:52 am

Let's just say Armando's opinion of this MIND BLOWINGLY AWFUL TRADE mirrors my own and leave it at that.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article229719964.html#storylink=rss

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am

I've got nothing really good to say about this move. I'd rather have gone with Stick later on and used the 2nd on an actual need as opposed to a project QB with no proof of being able to elevate anyone's play around him. Hasn't that been the knock you all have been putting on all these mediocre QBs we've had since Marino? I have zero confidence in Rosen's ability. I'd love to be wrong.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:18 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Let's just say Armando's opinion of this MIND BLOWINGLY AWFUL TRADE mirrors my own and leave it at that.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article229719964.html#storylink=rss

That article pretty much sums up my point of view on this as well.

Armando Salguero wrote:They point to him not being a leader.

Not being relatable.

Not being a player other players rally around.

Who have we heard this about before?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am

Well... Obviously there were some sort of problems in Arizona in the locker room according to rumors about Patrick Peterson leaving and Tyrann Mathieu (sp.) left.

Was that because of Rosen? I doubt it. I think the jettisoning of the HC after one year tells you everything you need to know.

Phins Phins look no further than Cam Cameron's tenure.

All that said... I salute the thinking that you eschew the safe path and go after a QB. Whether the QB works out or not, the fact Grier made the deal means MAYBE he understands the importance of the QB position. We will see in next years draft.

If Kylar Murray was playing baseball, would the Cards have drafted one of the other QBs? Or would they have stayed with Rosen? How many teams would take a shot at a Russell Wilson type QB and jettison their present QB given the chance.

As far as how much the Phins got snookered, I had heard the Phins had been offering their 2nd rounder for Rosen a few weeks ago! The Cards were wanting a 1st rounder. So all Grier had to sweeten the deal was a next year 5th to get Rosen.

If Rosen works out, it was genius, if it doesn't then we traded a 2nd for a QB that went in the 1st round last year. And he is playing on his rookie deal.

The REAL QUESTION IS.... will acquiring Rosen mean Grier thinks he is set at QB for the foreseeable future. Despite all evidence to the contrary? THAT will determine how successful the Phins will be IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:33 am

According to the Jimmy Johnson Draft Chart:

# 62 is worth 284 points, and (assuming we are bad next year and it is a low 5th) 150 is worth 31 points. That's a total of 315 draft points given up for Rosen, equal to roughly the 58th pick.

If we use the Rich Hill drafttek updated model: 96 draft points, equal to # 57 overall.

If Rosen fell to the late second last year, would I have taken a chance on him? Absolutely.

He's younger than Grier and Finley. He's on his rookie contract, cheap for a QB, for at least 3 more years with an option for a 4th.

There are concerns about Rosen regarding his personality, but Fitzpatrick is a good, level-headed veteran who should serve as a good mentor. Rosen is getting a second chance and should be smart enough to realize that if he washes out here, he's likely done in the NFL.

There's a risk that he just doesn't love the game enough: he could well be another Matt Leinhart or Jake Locker. But for the value, I'll take that chance.

I'm willing to spend 2019 finding out. If he sucks, we will have a lot of draft capital and an excellent QB draft to try again next year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 am

Other notes:

The AFC East now has three members of the 2018 QB draft class competing to knock Brady off his throne.

Dolphins ended up getting two of the top 11 picks of the 2018 draft.

Throwing in the Tannehill trade, we got a 4th rounder from Tennessee and gave up the 2nd/5th to replace him with Rosen. Throw that value in, and we essentially got 9 years younger at QB with a ton of saved salary for roughly a # 74 overall pick. That's about what we would have spent on Mason Rudolph last year if we'd taken the plunge.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:33 am

No one is even mentioning the fact that he COULD beat Fitz out for the starting job. I think we will get a chance to see him in action this year. I FULLY expect Fitz NOT to make it through the entire year going un-injured.

If he does ball out and show talent we have our QB of the future. If he looks OK and shows some potential, then, we have a good, young, backup (trade bait). If he shits the bed and looks like hot garbage, we cut our losses and get rid of him, not a big monetary loss. Then, we can still draft our guy next year. I would have preferred a 3rd to give up, but the 62 is almost a 3rd.

I am willing to see how it plays out. Either way, we are not winning more than 4-5 games this year, WHOEVER plays QB.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 am

Read my post about Rosen. I think we're going to be surprised by his potential.

The locker room stuff people say about him appears to be bullshit. His Cardinal teammates on both offense and defense have said nothing but good things about him, and they describe him as a leader and a hard worker.

As scot points out, we have a backup plan if Rosen doesn't work out: ammo in 2020 to trade up and get our QB. Low risk, potentially high reward. Gotta keep adding QBs until we get it right.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm

JMP wrote:Gotta keep adding QBs until we get it right.

That is the key IMO.

Even if Rosen looks like he is the answer, keep drafting QBS.

Draft and develop, trade for more picks, draft another QB, develop and let them backup, or trade them away.

As important as the QB position is, I am stunned by how stupid some teams are when it comes to the QB position.

But then again....as Charlie Weiss points out, "It's easy to be brave when you're job is not on the line."

One advantage Belicheck has is he isn't gonna get fired for drafting a QB who sucks rotten oysters!!

Not every team/GM/HC has the luxury of being brave when it comes to drafting.

It is a catch-22 IMO. If you fail to take care of the QB position, you get fired. If you draft a QB that is a stinker, you get fired.

I guess you can sorta understand why so many teams act like chickenshytes when it comes to drafting. Rolling Eyes
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down