The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Fires OL coach

+2
white1
rightchea
6 posters

Go down

Miami Fires OL coach Empty Miami Fires OL coach

Post by rightchea Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm

So the reports are coming in that Coach Flores fired the OL coach for not being able to implement the OL scheme....THoughts???

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Miami Fires OL coach Empty Re: Miami Fires OL coach

Post by white1 Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:16 pm

One reporter said he was struggling to implement the offensive blocking schemes.

Better now than September.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:43 pm

My thoughts: this is probably the best Dolphins news I've heard all offseason. Why? Because it shows the world that Flores places accountability above all else. If you're not doing your job, no matter what level you're at, you're gone. Love it.

If anybody needed more proof that Flores is the anti-Gase, well, here it is.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:47 pm

The only person that disagrees is Matt Burke.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:10 pm

white1 wrote:The only person that disagrees is Matt Burke.

LOL And Chris Foerster, who fielded a horrendously bad OL but couldn't get fired till he got caught snorting coke in his office while face-timing with a $2 crack-whore stripper.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:12 pm

In all seriousness, just think about the message this sends to the players. If a high-level coach can get fired for under-performing, no one is safe. Do your job, or hit the street.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm

is this a good message or is this fair. debate!!!

really and truly I believe this message is more than just do go or hit the street this message is don't hurt my job on Flores part. For the fact that he fired the OL coach before the season starts means he was already on the chopping block

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:02 pm

Fair question rightchea. Obviously Flores thought he was a good hire a short time ago. IMO that’s nit picking
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:29 pm

white1 wrote:Fair question rightchea. Obviously Flores thought he was a good hire a short time ago. IMO that’s nit picking

That's the point...Flores thought it was a good hire, realized it wasn't, and did something about it. He didn't ruin the season to save Flaherty 's job. That's incredibly refreshing for this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:27 am

Flores talks about the firing:

Dolphins coach Brian Flores met with the media Tuesday morning, a day after firing offensive line coach Pat Flaherty and replacing him with analyst Dave DeGuglielmo (Guge), who was a former Dolphins OL coach himself:

-- On the change: “We felt we needed to make that move. I think I’m always going to do what’s in the best interest of the Miami Dolphins. It was a tough decision. I think the easy decision would be to do nothing and hope it gets better.”

-- “There’s a lot of factors here. From a communication standpoint. From a fit standpoint.”

-- “It was no one specific thing. I have a lot of respect for Pat Flaherty.”

-- On Guge: “He was somebody I targeted as an offensive line coach. If he ever became available ... this was the right move to make.”

-- On if he’s concerned with continuity, having lost assistant head coach Jim Caldwell: “I’m not.” Says rest of staff is “up for the challenge.”

-- “This was a hard one (decision). It was. This wasn’t an easy conversation. I went with my gut. I’m always going to do that. If I don’t do that, I’m not being true to myself.”

-- On Guge: “I saw him as a better fit for the coaching staff and as a better fit for the whole team.”

-- On OL technique and philosophy under Guge: “We want a tough, smart, physical offensive line.” Communication along OL is key. Discipline.

-- Decision was made yesterday. “It was something that had been on my mind for some time before that. Again, it wasn’t an easy decision. It’s not an easy thing to do.” Reaffirms the easy decision is to hope it gets better, “but in my experience, it doesn’t get better.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20190730/miami-dolphins-what-brian-flores-said-in-wake-of-ol-coaching-change?rssfeed=true

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

I like the new depth chart and agree with several moves Guges has already made:

- Jesse Davis is better at RT than RG, and appears to be 1st string. He's probably better than Mills, too.
- Start the rookie at LG. I'm good with that. Obviously he will have struggles, but he's also got upside because he's a rookie.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:54 am

The one thing that I really like from Flores is that he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. that one thing that Gase never knew how to do. Flores is professional and make right moves as he see them. Definitely a plus

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

rightchea wrote:The one thing that I really like from Flores is that he sounds like he knows what he is talking about. that one thing that Gase never knew how to do. Flores is professional and make right moves as he see them. Definitely a plus

Yeah, Gase always came across as someone that knew he was smarter than everyone else, and he seemed to look for opportunities to make other people feel dumb. Totally arrogant and unprofessional. Flores looks the part...he's a professional, not some power-hungry douchebag - he's a football coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:02 pm

white1 wrote:I like the new depth chart and agree with several moves Guges has already made:

- Jesse Davis is better at RT than RG, and appears to be 1st string.  He's probably better than Mills, too.
- Start the rookie at LG.  I'm good with that. Obviously he will have struggles, but he's also got upside because he's a rookie.

I can't understand why Davis hasn't been at RT since day one. That's clearly his natural position, and I think he can be pretty good there. As we saw all last season, he's not a guard.

I'm hearing that Shaq Calhoun, another rookie, is going to get a long look at RG. I kinda like the idea of two starting rookie guards, if it plays out that way...let's develop some young talent on the interior OL for a change. Guges started two rookies in Indy last year, and they went on to be arguably the NFL's best OL, so I trust him to work with the younger players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes, this shows some real leadership IMO. It makes Flores look bad for hiring Flaherty, but having the stones to admit "I thought this was gonna work out, but this dude just won't do what I tell him to do, so he gotta go!!"

Flores DEFINITELY seems to have a direction picked out for the team, and he seems to have the gonads necessary to do what it takes to get on the path or at least head in that direction.

Usually any news about Phins OL Line coach is embarrassing as heck, but this news, while somewhat troubling, actually makes me feel better about Flores.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:45 pm

I don't think it makes him look bad. I mean Flaherty is one of those guys that is well respected in the league and for the fact that he didn't pan out might be a different reason then the fact that he not a good coach, he probably didn't know how to make it work. Some coaches make great schemes but can't get it to work for that team like players who do well with one team and not with the other. So for the fact that Flores removed him and had a backup just in case means Flores was ready in case of an emergency.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:49 pm

And let's be honest - firing Flaherty is MUCH easier to do when you have Guges already on the staff. But yeah, identifying a weakness and addressing it immediately is a big step forward for this team.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:05 pm

I love this move. This is what real leaders/coaches do.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Looks bad but if it wasn't working there is no point in messing around with it. Pull the plug and get the new guy in there.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down