The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minkah?

+2
Degarmo
Umix10
6 posters

Go down

Minkah? Empty Minkah?

Post by Umix10 Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 pm

Injuries have certainly taken its toll during this preseason. I don’t know what’s going on with jones or McDonald or McCain for that matter. I really don’t like the fact that we are just demoralizing this kid. He WANTS to play his natural position! In some ways it ain’t a bad idea. He’s a safety. He was drafted as a Safety. A free safety. Say all you want but he’s a safety. Sounds like Jason Allen ish to me except with more talent.

If we don’t solidify this kid this season then good luck resigning him when he gets to his prime. I understand the scheme and everything but let’s put this kid in his natural position!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Minkah? Empty Re: Minkah?

Post by Degarmo Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm in agreement with you, Umix. I can only assume they've tried him there, but if it's a size thing, or whatever, then they need to not worry about that and see what he can do. I feel we basically drafted a talent and put him where he's 80 percent as effective, which makes him a completely wasted pick.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Degarmo wrote:I'm in agreement with you, Umix. I can only assume they've tried him there, but if it's a size thing, or whatever, then they need to not worry about that and see what he can do. I feel we basically drafted a talent and put him where he's 80 percent as effective, which makes him a completely wasted pick.

The problem I have is did they move because he’s suited there or because of a lack of talent somewhere else. I mean his size as a free safety shouldn’t matter. He’s roaming the secondary for passing situations. Not play SS where size should matter! Ass backwards to me! If we are trying to build and develop, then ask yourself how is he being built or developed? You can’t say either because we have no true real evaluation of what he can do. Different regime same old development issues! These idiots have too much ego! The scheme is more powerful than the player.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 am

The scheme IS more powerful than the player in this defense...just look at New England: mostly a bunch of nobodies, with massive player changes every season, and they're always one of the top scoring defenses in the NFL.

Minkah has proven NOTHING in the NFL yet. He needs to tell his mom to stay out of his business, and shut up and play football. He's going to play all over this defense, and if he can't handle it, then he's not the player we thought he was. He will line up at all corner spots, all safety spots, and sometimes a hybrid LB spot...he's going to be a jack of all trades, and if he can't handle it we'll be looking to replace him next offseason.

Suck it up, buttercup - do your damn job.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am

i assume you all read this...

Responding to a critical observation made on the social media platform by a Sun-Sentinel writer, Melissa Fitzpatrick responded:

“... Maybe it’s because he is not a [strong safety] and is being used to suit other people[’s] skill set, not his own.”

“It is what it is,” Minkah Fitzpatrick said after practice. “She’s being honest and saying how she feels. There’s nothing wrong with it. I wish she would have addressed me first and talked to me first before it happens, but it is what it is. She feels very strongly.

“She’s not wrong,” he continued. “Coach has asked me do something right now. I got to do what they ask me to do. If we have to have some discussions in the future, we’ll have those discussions.”

But he also seemed to give up at least two touchdown passes, including one to tight end O.J. Howard that exposed some fault lines in the secondary.

Howard split Fitzpatrick and Jomal Wiltz to get open, but it was cornerback Xavien Howard who came off the field hot.

Howard seemed to go at Fitzpatrick on the sidelines and needed to be calmed down by teammates and coaches.

“You just got to do it, man. If you resist it, you’re not going to play well,” he said. “If you think about playing somewhere else, you’re not going to make the most of your position. I’m not 215 pounds, 220 pounds. So playing in the box isn’t best suited for me, but that’s what coach is asking me to do. I’m going to go out there and practice my hardest.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article233985932.html

so Minkah doesn't like/want to play SS. he doesn't want to play in the box. in other words, he doesn't like to mix it up with the big boys - take hits and make tackles. he wants to be able to take on the smaller guys and defend passes. but the problem is, the thing that got him in hot water with Howard had nothing to do with size and playing in the box - it was a screw up on his part in coverage.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 am

I kind of over reacted when I first read this yesterday, but then on reading the article Merc linked to later yesterday I'm fine with it.

Sounds like we have 3 strong safeties that are not practicing now in McDonald, Jones and Aikens.

Fitzpatrick is playing that position for the fact we have so little else, and we need someone starting on the field. Flores praised his work and loves working with him.

I really don't see an issue. Primarily, Fitzpatrick is going to play in the slot for us and he thrives there. Statistically, that position is where he played best last season, in nearly league-leading fashion. McCain is our free safety, and Jones/McDonald will play strong as well as other roles (TBD).

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

with all 3 strong safeties hurt, what this really says is that the Phins think Jomal Wiltz in the slot with Minkah moving to SS is a better combination than leaving Minkah in the slot and letting the next S (Maurice Smith or Montre Hartage) step up - note that both of them weigh less than Minkah as does McCain.

in the end, Minkah shouldn't have even addressed the issue. he should've just said, "i am here to work my hardest and do what the team needs me to do. no further comment." by agreeing with his mom, he made it worse. they got triggered by Omar.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:11 pm

If he's going to be a jack of all trades, then I assume that he's not good enough to be a starting Free Safety in this league, at least not on the regular. So, right now that means his football IQ and coverage is carrying him, but he's not a cornerback.

He'll do fine.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:04 pm

[quote="mercury22nathan"]i assume you all read this...

Responding to a critical observation made on the social media platform by a Sun-Sentinel writer, Melissa Fitzpatrick responded:

“... Maybe it’s because he is not a [strong safety] and is being used to suit other people[’s] skill set, not his own.”

“It is what it is,” Minkah Fitzpatrick said after practice. “She’s being honest and saying how she feels. There’s nothing wrong with it. I wish she would have addressed me first and talked to me first before it happens, but it is what it is. She feels very strongly.

“She’s not wrong,” he continued. “Coach has asked me do something right now. I got to do what they ask me to do. If we have to have some discussions in the future, we’ll have those discussions.”

But he also seemed to give up at least two touchdown passes, including one to tight end O.J. Howard that exposed some fault lines in the secondary.

Howard split Fitzpatrick and Jomal Wiltz to get open, but it was cornerback Xavien Howard who came off the field hot.

Howard seemed to go at Fitzpatrick on the sidelines and needed to be calmed down by teammates and coaches.

“You just got to do it, man. If you resist it, you’re not going to play well,” he said. “If you think about playing somewhere else, you’re not going to make the most of your position. I’m not 215 pounds, 220 pounds. So playing in the box isn’t best suited for me, but that’s what coach is asking me to do. I’m going to go out there and practice my hardest.”

Considering how other players around the league and people his age in general are acting, not only do I not have any problem with this at all but it practically qualifies Minkah as a mature adult by modern standards. Let me know when he accuses Ross of racism or threatens to retire or sit out a season because he doesn't like his helmet.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 am

Bottom line for me is, this is a real bad look for Minkah...especially considering that he played poorly against the Falcons by all accounts. Quite frankly, he sounds like more of a pussy than a tough football player. Stop whining and do your damn job.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down