The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young QB

5 posters

Go down

Young QB Empty Young QB

Post by CarsonChris Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:45 am

Not sure which QB we draft this year but I want some opinions on what you think is the most important other position for a young QB to succeed?

Great offensive blind side tackle
Top notch #1 receiver
Top notch TE
Stud running back

14 picks in this draft. Assuming QB is our top priority we have 13 picks to addresses other needs. Making that young QB successful will be the teams top goal.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Young QB Empty Re: Young QB

Post by JMP Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Good idea for a thread!

I think a young QB's best friend is a running game. So we need to build the OL and improve the RB position.
--I think we can add one stud OL in free agency, and maybe another cheap veteran. Then we draft a couple of linemen.
--At RB, I would draft one somewhere in rounds 1-3, and then another later on. Adding a cheap veteran might be a good idea too, to serve as a mentor for the young guys.

We're in pretty good shape at WR, but I'd still draft one because this class is loaded. A blocking TE would be nice too, but this looks to be a weak draft for TEs.

Then on the other side of the ball, a playmaking pass rusher and a ball-hawking safety will also help the young QB by forcing turnovers.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:20 pm

And - it will also be interesting to see how the Phins handle a rookie QB. If he outplays Fitz in camp and preseason, will the rookie start week one or will they bring him along slowly???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:20 pm

JMP wrote:And - it will also be interesting to see how the Phins handle a rookie QB. If he outplays Fitz in camp and preseason, will the rookie start week one or will they bring him along slowly???

I think Tua could jump in and start but due to the hip injury will get a medical year.

I think Hebert will need a year to get up to speed in a pro style offense.

I think Burrow would start the last half of the season.

Any other QB see my comment regarding Herbert.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:38 pm

The running game and O line are huge factors for a QB. In this modern era I think the outlet receiver is mutually important. A great TE is a QB’s best friend! I figure every 3rd and long a rookie QB will get blitzed. He needs the quick dump off when he’s in trouble. Someone he can count on when he’s about to get sacked.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:14 am

JMP wrote:Good idea for a thread!

I think a young QB's best friend is a running game.

Exactly. Look how good Tannehill looked with D Henry and the Titans Rushing game to rely on.

So, if the Phins could get a rushing attack that a defense HAD TO worry about, it would dramatically improve the
passing attack.

As far as that goes though....Do the long time Phin Phans on the board remember the Colts game when Sparano
was running the wildcat? The Phins Wildcat scored every ten-twelve minutes and had a humongous advantage in time of possession,
but the Peyton Manning passing attack tore through the porous Phins pass D like it was Costco half ply toilet paper!

Even though the Phins ran the ball well, they lost because the Phins D was unable to disrupt a gifted QB's offense.

A rushing attack and a Defense that can at least make a QB nervous would be the best gifts a new QB could have IMHO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:26 pm

CarsonChris wrote:The running game and O line are huge factors for a QB. In this modern era I think the outlet receiver is mutually important. A great TE is a QB’s best friend!  I figure every 3rd and long a rookie QB will get blitzed. He needs the quick dump off when he’s in trouble. Someone he can count on when he’s about to get sacked.

Definitely - TE, pass-catching RB and slot receiver can all bail out a QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:55 pm

finfanatic wrote:
JMP wrote:Good idea for a thread!

I think a young QB's best friend is a running game.

Exactly. Look how good Tannehill looked with D Henry and the Titans Rushing game to rely on.

So, if the Phins could get a rushing attack that a defense HAD TO worry about, it would dramatically improve the
passing attack.

As far as that goes though....Do the long time Phin Phans on the board remember the Colts game when Sparano
was running the wildcat? The Phins Wildcat scored every ten-twelve minutes and had a humongous advantage in time of possession,
but the Peyton Manning passing attack tore through the porous Phins pass D like it was Costco half ply toilet paper!

Even though the Phins ran the ball well, they lost because the Phins D was unable to disrupt a gifted QB's offense.

A rushing attack and a Defense that can at least make a QB nervous would be the best gifts a new QB could have IMHO.

Oh, I remember it well for two reasons. One, it was the moment when I learned once and for all that all this running and time of possession stuff really doesn't mean jack in the modern NFL and two, it was the dazzling debut of Degarmo. Seriously, that night was the very first time he posted and it's been a wild and crazy ride ever since cheers

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:00 pm

I remember being so angry that night and looking for a suitable board that I could vent on, and vent I did.  Very Happy

Didn't they lose like 27-23 and held the ball for 3/4ths of the game?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm

Degarmo wrote:I remember being so angry that night and looking for a suitable board that I could vent on, and vent I did.  Very Happy

Didn't they lose like 27-23 and held the ball for 3/4ths of the game?

Yup, it was *that* game. And I'm glad you chose us cheers

Looking back, what pisses me off the most is the complete and utter failure of the Colt D to realize they were all supposed to collectively collapse from exhaustion. Their desire to actually keep playing showed me NO respect Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:52 am

That game really drove home the most obvious aspect of sports: nothing really matters other than scoring more points than your opponent! geek

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:40 pm

JMP wrote:That game really drove home the most obvious aspect of sports: nothing really matters other than scoring more points than your opponent!   geek

That and, "Defense wins championships."

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down