The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day two

+6
white1
HalCHorn
Killah Sith
JMP
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Day two - Page 7 Empty Re: Day two

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:57 pm

I mean, was it really that important to hang on to all SEVEN picks in the 5th round or below???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 pm

After this pick I'm out, I have no desire to see who other teams take the rest of the 3rd.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Killah Sith wrote:The legendary Anquan Claiborne.

Oh MAN, I totally forgot about him!!! He'd be the biggest draft steal in NFL history right now!!! Very Happy Wink Razz

Yeah me too. I had to pause and Google to make sure I got the name right.

And remember he was a Raiders 1st round pick. The cut me by picking him then cut him. Lol

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Oh NOW they decided to get a safety...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Killah Sith wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:
Killah Sith wrote:The legendary Anquan Claiborne.

Oh MAN, I totally forgot about him!!! He'd be the biggest draft steal in NFL history right now!!! Very Happy Wink Razz

Yeah me too.  I had to pause and Google to make sure I got the name right.

And remember he was a Raiders 1st round pick. The cut me by picking him then cut him. Lol

The fact that his name is actually still somehow on Google is the most hilarious thing I've read all night Laughing Laughing Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 pm

Cards took Jones BTW.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Actually I Googled the name to make sure I wasn't confused with a real player. Had it been there I would have fallen off my couch. If I could find his stats I should make a page for him.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Brandon Jones is the first pick I really feel "meh" about. He's a pretty good player, but there were so many better players available there.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm

I feel like he hasn't done great on his research or he either looking for specific players.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:06 pm

After last season finding any defensive back that wasn’t in a wheelchair I can see why we loaded up on the DB’s

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:07 pm

This draft so far has been a big bunch of meh to me. I keep seeing players I wanted get taken by other teams while Grier sat around and watched. The only trade he did make was completely nonsensical and cost him a true RT so he could take a random CB instead that Flores bullied him into taking. Not sure why he passed up on all the top safeties and THEN decided to take one in the 3rd, or why he didn't bother taking a RB in a class deeper than a Tibetan guru at that position. Also, I learned that 15 picks really isn't that big a deal when almost half of them are in the 5th round or below. I sure hope they're worth it, seeing as how Grier hung on to every single one of them rather than use them in a trade up tonight. At least they got two O-linemen so that's a good thing, right?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:08 pm

So Far tonight the players I would like keep getting taken one or two picks before we draft, Please Don’t tell me we are going to take 15 players in this Draft, I want Quality over Quantity.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:09 pm

JMP wrote:Brandon Jones is the first pick I really feel "meh" about.  He's a pretty good player, but there were so many better players available there.

I KNEW you'd start feeling the way I did if Grier kept Griering Razz

The Panthers traded up for Chinn, why couldn't Grier have done the same if he was going to draft a safety just 7 picks later anyway? Did he really think Jones was better?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 pm

Phone ha e a plan at RB. They will put Tua under center with Fitz in the backfield. Fitz, our leading rusher!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:10 pm

finskev wrote:So Far tonight the players I would like keep getting taken one or two picks before we draft, Please Don’t tell me we are going to take 15 players in this Draft, I want Quality over Quantity.

Grier might actually trade down to get even more 5th-7th round picks the way he's going. This draft approach is downright Brownsian, and you see where it got them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:11 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Phone ha e a plan at RB. They will put Tua under center with Fitz in the backfield. Fitz, our leading rusher!

He actually was last season, sadly.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:12 pm

My edit didn’t come through. Haha. Hate auto correct

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:13 pm

CarsonChris wrote:After last season finding any defensive back that wasn’t in a wheelchair I can see why we loaded up on the DB’s

Except that they only took two, and didn't even need to take the CB while waiting for all the good safeties to be picked before finally taking one.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:13 pm

One thing that we all need to realize is that the Dolphins are really focusing on players that fit the scheme. They're not looking for flashy players - they are looking for high-character tough guys that are teachable and love football and can do what the Phins are asking. All these picks fit that mold. It's what the Patriots do. Trust the scheme, trust the coaching staff and bring in solid players that fit what you do. That's the foundation. Once the foundation is set, you can start adding some flash. We're at the beginning of the process, and it may look ugly at first, but it will pan out in the long run.

I'm not saying this is the way I would do it - I always look for playmakers - but this is the plan and they are sticking to it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:15 pm

I like the Brandon Jones pick a lot. Seems like a Grier guy to me. He won't have the same issues with him that he did with Minkah.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:16 pm

JMP wrote:One thing that we all need to realize is that the Dolphins are really focusing on players that fit the scheme.  They're not looking for flashy players - they are looking for high-character tough guys that are teachable and love football and can do what the Phins are asking.  All these picks fit that mold.  It's what the Patriots do.  Trust the scheme, trust the coaching staff and bring in solid players that fit what you do.  That's the foundation.  Once the foundation is set, you can start adding some flash.  We're at the beginning of the process, and it may look ugly at first, but it will pan out in the long run.

I'm not saying this is the way I would do it - I always look for playmakers - but this is the plan and they are sticking to it.

That doesn't explain why they didn't even bother looking at a RB, passed up a RT to take a CB they didn't need, and decided safety wasn't important until the 3rd round. It also doesn't explain why they didn't use any of their SEVEN picks in the 5th or below to trade up. How many of those picks will even make the team or have an impact?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:21 pm

We need to find some hidden gems in the late rounds. 9 picks to go. Upgrades on special teams, a wide receiver/punt returner.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:21 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Phone ha e a plan at RB. They will put Tua under center with Fitz in the backfield. Fitz, our leading rusher!

Lol, last year was no fluke.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:25 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:One thing that we all need to realize is that the Dolphins are really focusing on players that fit the scheme.  They're not looking for flashy players - they are looking for high-character tough guys that are teachable and love football and can do what the Phins are asking.  All these picks fit that mold.  It's what the Patriots do.  Trust the scheme, trust the coaching staff and bring in solid players that fit what you do.  That's the foundation.  Once the foundation is set, you can start adding some flash.  We're at the beginning of the process, and it may look ugly at first, but it will pan out in the long run.

That doesn't explain why they didn't even bother looking at a RB, passed up a RT to take a CB they didn't need, and decided safety wasn't important until the 3rd round. It also doesn't explain why they didn't use any of their SEVEN picks in the 5th or below to trade up. How many of those picks will even make the team or have an impact?

It actually does explain it. All of these picks are players that fit the mold they are looking for. The Dolphins (and Patriots and Lions for that matter) will always have very different draft boards than every other team. They are looking for specific traits that don't always match up with the popular flashy players, and while it is frustrating as a fan to see player you like get passed, there is a vision and a plan and they are sticking closely to it.

Put it this way:
--We needed a QB. Check.
--We needed to build the OL. Check.
--We needed to build the DL. Check.
--We needed to fix the secondary. Check.

No, we didn't get all the players that we all wanted - but that's OK. These are guys that are going to work hard and buy in, and we've already seen that this staff can coach 'em up. This is a real "meat and potatoes" draft for Miami, and it may not be pretty but it is probably what we needed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Degarmo wrote:I like the Brandon Jones pick a lot.  Seems like a Grier guy to me.  He won't have the same issues with him that he did with Minkah.

Liking what I'm reading about him. Super-smart, loves to watch tape, has good range, plays physical. This is another guy that fits the "Flores DB" mold. There were players I liked better there obviously, but I can see where Jones fits in.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum