The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft 2021

+10
finskev
Umix10
Degarmo
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
HalCHorn
white1
JEGnj
JMP
CarsonChris
14 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Draft 2021 Empty Draft 2021

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:34 pm

With the injury of Preston Williams I’m moving large possession Receiver into my must have for 2021.

In order of importance
1. DE pass rushers are always a premium and quickly change the outcome of games
2. Possession receiver. Miami desperately needs a target for Tua that he can go to in the red zone or when a first down is necessary. A big framed jump ball receiver. May be the top priority in the draft.
3. Running back. 1.9 yards and some dust doesn’t cut it in the NFL

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Draft 2021 Empty Re: Draft 2021

Post by JMP Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Yes to all of those, and add:

--A dynamic playmaking WR, like Jalen Waddle.
--A dominant inside LB
--More OL...Penei Sewell if the Texans pick is high enough!
--Raekwon Davis is starting to come on, but another nose tackle (possibly later-round) would be great.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:31 pm

It's time for another premier LB in Miami.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:43 pm

JEGnj wrote:It's time for another premier LB in Miami.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Baker gets a million tackles but we need an impact player in the middle.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:54 am

It's possible we can slow down the pace, but keep adding talent on the OL and DL. I'd probably use 2-4 picks there this year, considering we have the extra 1st and 2nd from Houston.

Linebacker is a strong consideration for me also, and the front 7 on this team can be considered just as important as DL.

I'd take a WR and RB, but not too high. Those players can be found later in the draft. I'm not talking 7th round, but 3rd - 5th is the sweet spot.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 am

After getting exposed by Denver, it is clear that the biggest issue with the Dolphins is a lack of playmakers on both sides of the ball. Yes, we still need help in the trenches...but we can no longer afford to ignore the skill positions. So, here is my first take on the first 3 rounds of the 2021 draft with that in mind:

Round 1
LB Micah Parsons, Penn State
WR Jalen Waddle, Alabama

Round 2
RB Najee Harris, Alabama
WR Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU

Round 3
C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma

Note: My top choice in round one is OT Penei Sewell (Oregon), but he'll be long gone when we pick.

It sucks that it's already time to look at the draft, but it is what it is.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 am

Note: My top choice in round one is OT Penei Sewell (Oregon), but he'll be long gone when we pick.

It sucks that it's already time to look at the draft, but it is what it is.

I'm still holding out hope that the Texans pick will be high enough that we can snag Sewell. A dominant OT would go a long way towards fortifying the OL.

I know that Houston beat the Pats yesterday but let's face it - the Pats just aren't that good this year. The magic is gone without Brady.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 am

Since when do we ever stop looking at next year's draft? Smile

We could be 10-0 and we'd still be looking at it....

Way too early to see how things shake out but I doubt Humphrey makes it to round 3.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:17 am

HalCHorn wrote:
Way too early to see how things shake out but I doubt Humphrey makes it to round 3.  

I honestly don't know where he'll go...somewhere between rounds 1-3 for sure, I'm just not sure how high. As good as he is, he is a sloppy blocker at times and spends more time on the ground then you'd like. He's also a left-handed snapper...that's great for the left-handed Tua, but I wonder if other NFL teams will view that as an issue since the ball does come out differently than it does for a right-hander. I would love to re-sign Karras and let Humphrey back him up till he's ready...I think the rookie would benefit with a little seasoning before he becomes a full-time starter.

white1 wrote:I'm still holding out hope that the Texans pick will be high enough that we can snag Sewell. A dominant OT would go a long way towards fortifying the OL.

Yep, Sewell would be an instant upgrade and he'd improve the line from day one. A lot of people are describing him as a Hall of Fame talent...and that's not something you just throw around randomly. I can't see him lasting beyond pick 5, but we'll see. Hell, Parsons may not even get out of the top 5 either. A lot will depend on how teams rank the top QBs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:44 am

my general thoughts...

honestly, i'm not as worried about the OT spots. i think Jackson and Hunt on the edges will be fine. and when healthy, Kindley is fine - its Davis that i think should be on the bench. Karras is just ok and will never be a big bodied mover in the middle. i actually kind of want to see what Deiter can become in the middle. Flowers concerns me. i think he is a liability in pass blocking and despite his size, doesn't get a lot of movement in the run game. the Phins gave him a 3 year deal, but prior to his one positive season with the Redskins (who still decided to let him go), he was a huge bust. i think another big OG in the 3rd or 4th is necessary.

i think a WR to take the top off the defense and allow Parker (who isn't a speedster) to operate is critical. i'd also like to see a RB who can make his own yards when needed.

on defense, a real deal LB is a must. Roberts hasn't produced like envisioned and Baker is just average. Van Ginkel is a nice splash player, but not an every down impact player. right now, the LB crew is Van Noy and some average guys. And of course anytime a premier pass rusher, whether it be DE or OLB is available, it must be selected.

WR
DE/OLB
OG/C
RB
CB (cause you can never have too many cover guys)

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am

I'm not overly worried about the tackles either, but if you can get a guy like Sewell it's an instant upgrade. That allows you to move Hunt to guard, and either he or Kindley become the eventual replacement for Flowers when the Phins move on from him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am

I’m back to Tua being the biggest draft bust in the 2020 draft. Mediocre to bad doesn’t cut it in the NFL and we need a WB that can win in times when the team is struggling. I said it would Take 3 years for people to call for a replacement but 4 games is all I need.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 am

5 weeks of practicing with the starters, hadn't played football for a year before that, zero INTs in his first 4 starts with a 100 passer rating and a record of 3-1...but he's a bust. Laughing Laughing

Too bad we didn't draft Herbert...we could be challenging the Jets for last place right now instead of fighting for a playoff spot! jocolor

Been a rough week - thanks for the laugh!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:20 am

JMP wrote:5 weeks of practicing with the starters, hadn't played football for a year before that, zero INTs in his first 4 starts with a 100 passer rating and a record of 3-1...but he's a bust. Laughing Laughing

Too bad we didn't draft Herbert...we could be challenging the Jets for last place right now instead of fighting for a playoff spot! jocolor

He’s 24 karat gold plating. Played behind a dominant offensive line in college. Had premier pass catchers and running backs to throw to/hand off to. Looks good behind the glass but will never pass the solid gold test. I said it before the draft and I’m going to say it until he’s replaced. Bust.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:22 am

The only way Tua is successful is if we have the best offensive line, wide receivers, and running backs in the NFL. Only way to hide Tua’s weaknesses. We will never be that successful in the draft.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am

I hope Carson is wrong about Tua. I think he's wrong. But there is a battered, long-time Dolphins fan inside of me that is worried he's right...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:31 am

white1 wrote:I hope Carson is wrong about Tua.  I think he's wrong.  But there is a battered, long-time Dolphins fan inside of me that is worried he's right...

If Tua horks up a hairball VS the Jets I'll be hopping on board the bust train as well!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:50 am

Hebert has had one bad game as a rookie in 8 games. Just happened to be against Miami. The Chargers defense is atrocious. Hebert has had multiple games end on the last play. Against Denver Hebert three 2 perfectly placed TD passes at the end of the game. One player hit the ground and ball came out. One was knocked out of the receivers hand. How many 40plus yard touchdowns has Hebert thrown?. I know you want Tua to be the better player but he honestly can’t throw the ball like Hebert who I wanted Miami to pick.

Will Tua put up 366 yards and 3 TD performance against the Jets? Start Tua this weekend and see the Jets feast on Tua for the win.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:39 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:5 weeks of practicing with the starters, hadn't played football for a year before that, zero INTs in his first 4 starts with a 100 passer rating and a record of 3-1...but he's a bust.  Laughing Laughing

Too bad we didn't draft Herbert...we could be challenging the Jets for last place right now instead of fighting for a playoff spot!  jocolor

He’s 24 karat gold plating. Played behind a dominant offensive line in college. Had premier pass catchers and running backs to throw to/hand off to. Looks good behind the glass but will never pass the solid gold test.  I said it before the draft and I’m going to say it until he’s replaced. Bust.

Herbert and Burrow played with better offensive lines, as does Trevor Lawrence. In fact, how many great college QBs play behind weak OLs??? Burrow had the best WRs in the nation at LSU. Lawrence has the best RB in college football. Should we lower their rankings as a result?

Tua was one of the best QBs to ever play college football. His precision, accuracy, ball placement and release are unmatched, as are his intangibles. None of that has changed. This season he's made some passes that I've never seen any NFL QB make. He has all the tools. The Dolphins as a team are one year away from having the worst roster maybe in NFL history, and Tua is coming off a year without playing. I think we can give him more than 5 weeks to know what he will be.

Or, if you do want to play that game - then let's agree that Herbert is a colossal bust because he is 2-7 (his only wins against two of the worst teams in the league) and has shown zero ability to carry his team. Let's also agree that Joe Burrow is an even bigger bust because he's also 2-7 and he'll never be the same after a devastating injury. After all, players' careers are determined by how well they do in the first 11 weeks of their rookie season...right?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:08 pm

JMP wrote: This season he's made some passes that I've never seen any NFL QB make.

This is the only thing I wanted to highlight.

This cannot possibly be true Wink.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:44 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Hebert has had one bad game as a rookie in 8 games. Just happened to be against Miami. The Chargers defense is atrocious. Hebert has had multiple games end on the last play. Against Denver Hebert three 2 perfectly placed TD passes at the end of the game. One player hit the ground and ball came out. One was knocked out of the receivers hand. How many 40plus yard touchdowns has Hebert thrown?. I know you want Tua to be the better player but he honestly can’t throw the ball like Hebert who I wanted Miami to pick.

Will Tua put up 366 yards and 3 TD performance against the Jets? Start Tua this weekend and see the Jets feast on Tua for the win.

Herbert is, was and always will be a loser. You can make all the excuses you want, but he's shown it time and time again in college and now the NFL. He blew the Saints game and the Dolphins game this season. Sure, he throws a great ball and puts up monster numbers - but he doesn't win. He's a compiler...the Rafael Palmeiro of football. He's lucky he has Allen and Williams to bail him out every week...and he still loses.

Tua won't need to put up 366 yards and 3 TDs against the Jets, and with this Miami receiving corps, he won't. Numbers are fun - wins are better.

Tua's always been the better QB, and it's really not close. There's a reason Herbert was the third QB chosen in the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:39 am

It's not mutually exclusive you know, both Herbert and Tua could be busts Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:18 am

I think I’ll take the highest rated third down QB in the NFL right now over the other rookie that got benched and can barely throw for a 100 yards a game. Tua’s first game was won by the defense. Same with second and third games. When the defense failed to generate points as it did in the Broncos game Tua was in trouble.

Han Bailey’s game plan is to hide Tua. Miami will never win with a QB that the game plan is to hide him.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 am

Yeah, see how that works out for you. Keep losing games, but boy are those numbers nice!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 am

DolFan 316 wrote:It's not mutually exclusive you know, both Herbert and Tua could be busts Razz

Absolutely. Both could be great, both could be busts, one could be good and the other not...way too early to tell. But I'd rather have a winner than a loser, every time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next