The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Windows 10?

5 posters

Go down

Windows 10? Empty Windows 10?

Post by JMP Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:15 am

Anyone update to Windows 10 yet? I got the free upgrade, but haven't installed it yet. Quite honestly, I'm afraid...I run Windows 7 currently, and have absolutely no issues with it - so I'm not sure I want to mess with that. Any thoughts?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Windows 10? Empty Re: Windows 10?

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:21 pm

I literally JUST NOW got that free offer popup on my screen yet again!!!

I'm also scared because changing operating systems isn't like changing socks. If you don't take the appropriate steps you lose everything on your PC for one thing. I've reinstalled many an OS in my time, and that's bad enough. Then you better make sure your PC has the necessary requirements to even be able to handle it. It all seems like a bunch of needless bother to me, like every other superfluous change these days. I like my Windows 8 just fine.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Don't do it yet. There are some issues they're still ironing out. There's a reason it's free currently.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:23 pm

By the way, the offer is from one of the Windows Updates. I don't have the update number in front of me, but you can uninstall it easily and not have to deal with it anymore.

I'm a gamer, so I was very interested in the fact that Win 10 has DirectX 12, but I'm not going to deal with it right now due to some of the issues I've seen other folks have. I'll stick with 7 until it's more fireproof.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll stick with 7 for now too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:18 am

I have been installing new PCs (a lot of new PCs) with Windows 10 and with a few exceptions for some persnickety drivers, everything seems to be going well.

These new PCs are the HP Minis. They have a bracket that attaches to the back of the monitor and the mini slides in, turning the whole thing into a pseudo-All in one PC sorta! It certainly cut way down on the cable clutter.

I have even upgraded some Win 7 PCs to Win 10 and have only had ONE where the upgrade FAILED, but I think that was cockpit error...the user turned it off right in the middle of the install!!

One suggestion on Windows 10: Go into settings, devices, and turn off the Let Windows Manage my default printer. Whomever programmed that particular option should be flogged daily with a barbed-wire whip!!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:33 am

I still have Windows 7 Pro on my work computer, but my home computer upgraded to 10 by "accident"...apparently I missed the notification to stop it!  Anyway, I guess it's fine.  I just don't like the look of it and I hate that things are sort of hidden (like the control panel for instance).

My wife's HP laptop upgraded to 10, and it's been a nightmare!  The wireless connection now goes in and out - mostly out.  It's almost unusable and I have no idea how to fix it!  Sucks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm reasonably sure you can customize it to be more like Win 7's desktop. I don't like how Microsoft is sort of forcing their whole XBOX platform on everyone in the PC world.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:46 pm

finfanatic wrote:
One suggestion on Windows 10: Go into settings, devices, and turn off the Let Windows Manage my default printer.  Whomever programmed that particular option should be flogged daily with a barbed-wire whip!!!

Yeah, seriously. Printers are enough of a pain in the ass (sometimes) without letting the OS fuck around with them.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 pm

I have Windows 10 and it is not that bad. Microsoft edge is way better than Internet Explorer but every once in a while it will just close up which is weird. The last free issue of windows 10 is July 29, if you don't get it then you either have to buy a computer that already has it installed or have to pay something like $150 or $200

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Right click on the Windows Icon and control panel is one of the choices.

If you have the Intel wireless chipset, try and upgrade the wireless driver. My daughter's new notebook had a problem with the wireless conking out and it was a KNOWN problem with the particular wireless chipset from Intel.

Seems like I had to go to Intel site and download the driver upgrade software??
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:27 pm

finfanatic wrote:Right click on the Windows Icon and control panel is one of the choices.

If you have the Intel wireless chipset, try and upgrade the wireless driver. My daughter's new notebook had a problem with the wireless conking out and it was a KNOWN problem with the particular wireless chipset from Intel.

Seems like I had to go to Intel site and download the driver upgrade software??

Awesome - thanks for the tips! I'll definitely give the driver upgrade a try.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum