The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints

+2
Umix10
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints Empty Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints

Post by JMP Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:29 pm

The Miami Dolphins went to New Orleans with both teams in a must-win situation.  The Dolphins walked away with a dominant 20-3 victory and now hold the final wild card spot in the AFC.

The Saints, decimated by Covid, just weren’t in the same universe as the Dolphins.  The Saints looked like absolute garbage, and the Dolphins looked like contenders.  Led by a smothering defense that put up 8 sacks, 2 INTs (one a pick 6) and just 3 points, and held the Saints to 0 for 12 on 3rd down, the Dolphins led from beginning to end and embarrassed the Saints in their own home.  It all began with a Nik Needham pick 6 (off an AVG tip) on rookie Ian Book’s second pass of the game (and his career).  It was all downhill after that for Book, as the Dolphins knocked him around all night long.  Alvin Kamara as a complete non-factor, and the game was never in doubt.  This was another team effort by the Phins defense, with huge games from Christian Wilkins, Zach Sieler, Jerome Baker, Emmanuel Ogbah, AVG, Brandon Jones, and right down the line.  This was a championship-caliber performance by the Miami defense.

The Miami offense wasn’t great, but they did enough to win the game.  Led by a tremendous performance by Jaylen Waddle and a workman-like effort from Tua, the Phins managed to hold down the fort while the D did the dirty work.  Tua had a bad pick, but also made some excellent throws, none better than a 40-yard drop-in-the-bucket bomb to Mack Hollins.  Waddle caught 10 passes for 92 yards and a TD, and just dominated the Saints’ D all night.  The running game wasn’t great, but did get some tough runs from Gaskin, Johnson and Lindsay.  The OL was miserable, with 3 penalties, multiple missed blocks and 2 sacks allowed.

So there it is – the team that everyone seems to dismiss and underestimate wins their 7th game in a row and gets into playoff seeding.  Haters gonna keep on hating, and the Dolphins gonna keep on winning.  I love it!  Next victim: Ryan Tannehill and the Titans.

Hero of the Game: DEFENSE!!!  Unbelievable effort for a group that gets better every week.  Like I said, it’s a team effort with every single defender contributing.

Goat of the Game: My God, this offensive line is SOOOOOO bad.  No run blocking, penalties, missed blocks, nothing positive.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints

Post by JMP Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:40 pm

One of my favorite parts of the game: C Wilk stealing Kamara's towel, and Kamara responding by hitting him in the head and getting a penalty!  Priceless!  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And a general highlight: Coach Flores' defense shitting all over the great Sean Payton! Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints

Post by JMP Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:41 pm

Waddle needs 6 catches to set the rookie reception record.

Dolphins defense now leads the NFL in sacks.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:10 am

the dolphins put 20 on a heralded saints pass defense.

The telling fact of the matter is that the dolphins have the worse line in the league

The Dolphins have the worse running game in the league.

The Dolphins have no WR's other than Waddle.

Yet the vaunted saints defense had no answers when it counted. The score was 20-3. The offense scored 13 more points than Tom Brady!!!!!!!

What does that tell you?

It tells you.......SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT TUA!!!!! Got any questions stop by my house
Umix10
Umix10

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:33 am

And of course the media spin over at espn.com is...

New Orleans Saints, rookie QB Ian Book fall flat with 20 players sidelined by COVID-19

Because a team on a 6-game winning streak coming in to the game is so awful, so horrible, so outright terrible that of COURSE the only way they can POSSIBLY win is by half the opponent being sick, right? Rolling Eyes

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:11 am

More good stuff.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=401326568

The Dolphins' eight sacks tied a team record for a game. They became the first team in the Super Bowl era to have that many sacks, score a defensive TD and hold an opponent under 200 total yards while allowing no TDs or third-down conversions. The Saints went 0 for 12 on third down.

https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/33299/miami-dolphins-win-seventh-straight-control-own-playoff-destiny

Promising trend: Miami's offense left something to be desired but its defense continued its elite play, allowing 158 total yards and holding the Saints to 0-for-11 on third down. It's the first time the Saints failed to convert a third down since 2005, when they went 0-for-11 against, you guessed it, the Dolphins. It's funny how history repeats itself. Miami has now held three straight opponents under 300 total yards and has held six of its past seven opponents under 20 points.

Parsons? We didn't need no stinkin' Micah Parsons!

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:22 am

DolFan 316 wrote:And of course the media spin over at espn.com is...

New Orleans Saints, rookie QB Ian Book fall flat with 20 players sidelined by COVID-19

Because a team on a 6-game winning streak coming in to the game is so awful, so horrible, so outright terrible that of COURSE the only way they can POSSIBLY win is by half the opponent being sick, right? Rolling Eyes

Meanwhile, a garbage Texans team that got hit by Covid just as badly as the Saints absolutely DESTROYED the Chargers. And The Texans don't have any players like Cam Jordan or Alvin Kamara, nor do they have a "great" coach like Sean Payton. So what's the Saints' excuse??? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:28 am

Umix10 wrote:the dolphins put 20 on a heralded saints pass defense.  

The telling fact of the matter is that the dolphins have the worse line in the league

The Dolphins have the worse running game in the league.  

The Dolphins have no WR's other than Waddle.

Yet the vaunted saints defense had no answers when it counted. The score was 20-3.  The offense scored 13 more points than Tom Brady!!!!!!!

What does that tell you?

It tells you.......SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT TUA!!!!! Got any questions stop by my house

Well said. People refuse to acknowledge that Tua and the Phins are winning with nothing on offense - and they're winning by 7+ points every week, not just squeaking by. Every single week, Tua leads key second half scoring drives to ice the game, and no one will give him any praise for that. All the great players the Siants have on defense, and our offense beat them. Screw everyone that can't handle the truth.

Strong defense and efficient offense has always been a winning formula in the NFL, and that's how the Dolphins are winning right now. They'll need more than that for a Super Bowl run, of course, but Flores and Tua are getting the most out of this team and doing what they need to do to win - while media darlings like the Chargers, Patriots and Saints are choking like dogs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:49 am

Love from RGIII!!

Robert Griffin III
✔
@RGIII

Tua and the *Dolphins have won 7 straight and it don’t matter who the teams were. 7 in a row after losing 7 straight is an incredible display of perseverance. Brian Flores for coach of the year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:15 pm

“” Parsons? We didn't need no stinkin' Micah Parsons!”

Actually I’d very much like to see Parsons on the team! 😀

However, there is a non zero chance he implodes in the off-season. Character is still a question with him. I’m hoping he’s good now but you can’t really know just yet
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:04 pm

white1 wrote:“” Parsons? We didn't need no stinkin' Micah Parsons!”

However, there is a non zero chance he implodes in the off-season. Character is still a question with him. I’m hoping he’s good now but you can’t really know just yet

I'm perfectly happy with Waddle and a great defense. That's better than no Waddle and a great defense!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:45 pm

Parsons is a Cowboy. He's imploding in the offseason. The only question is whether the league is willing to look the other way and to what degree.

The way the D is playing now, Parsons wasn't needed. Waddle on the other hand was badly needed. I still say Smith would've done just as well but that's another thing I'm going to let go.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:00 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

Parsons is a Cowboy. He's imploding in the offseason. The only question is whether the league is willing to look the other way and to what degree.

The way the D is playing now, Parsons wasn't needed. Waddle on the other hand was badly needed. I still say Smith would've done just as well but that's another thing I'm going to let go.

Yep, Parsons would have been great here too, I'm sure, but the defense is already playing great - he'd be a luxury, not a need. In contrast, the offenses needs all the help it can get, and Waddle is a perfect fit. I loved and still love Smith, but I don't think his skillset is as versatile as Waddle's. The fact that the Phins can line up Waddle literally anywhere and get production out of him is what makes him so special. I don't think Smith can do all those things.

Regardless, Smith is an excellent route runner and would have been a great match for Tua as well. Can't go wrong either way, but I think Waddle adds dimensions to this offense that no one else could have.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:10 pm

As much as I hate giving Grier any credit, Waddle really was the best first round pick he could've made this year. I still have an issue with the trade up but oh well. It's also why I'm on the Burks Or Bust bandwagon for the next draft. The first round is for picking playmakers, not project players or O-linemen who won't make a difference because the coaching/rest of the unit sucks.

(Let's not talk about the two first round whiffs from the year before...)

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:It's also why I'm on the Burks Or Bust bandwagon for the next draft.

I would LOVE to find a way to get both Burks and Chris Olave in this draft. Burks is like Waddle in that you can line him up anywhere and he'll produce - but the difference is, he's HUGE! He's like a more versatile - and less fragile - DeVante Parker. Olave is the best route runner in the class IMO, and he would really be an excellent target for Tua. A WR of Waddle, Burks and Olave has me drooling! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 am

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:It's also why I'm on the Burks Or Bust bandwagon for the next draft.  

I would LOVE to find a way to get both Burks and Chris Olave in this draft.  Burks is like Waddle in that you can line him up anywhere and he'll produce - but the difference is, he's HUGE!  He's like a more versatile - and less fragile - DeVante Parker.  Olave is the best route runner in the class IMO, and he would really be an excellent target for Tua.  A WR of Waddle, Burks and Olave has me drooling!  Cool

Unfortunately this will be impossible thanks to Grier deciding that it was vitally important to trade away the 3rd this year for Eichenberg  Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints 1f621

He *could* start trading away some of the 2023 picks but...I'd really rather not see that.

It's actually kinda sad that I've already decided it's Burks or nothing for me and will be highly upset if he's not the pick but it is what it is. IMO Olave will be gone by the time the Fins pick anyway.

BTW I literally just did a mock from this site. https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/mocks/nfl-mock-draft-simulator For some reason my actual mock won't show, so I have to just spell it out.

21: Burks. I was so scared he wouldn't be there affraid but he was cheers cheers cheers

53: RB Kenneth Walker. It's obvious the talent there HAS to be upgraded. Gaskin's shown all he can show and while I like him it's just...not much.

100: IOL Alec Lindstrom. Gotta get somebody to replace Jackson--he absolutely cannot be the starter again.

117: OT Max Mitchell. He could play one side and his ex-teammate Hunt could play the other. I'd be comfortable with that, and it would be a lot cheaper than some FA journeyman retread.

121: LB Channing Tindall. I know nothing about this guy but I wanted to give the D a little love and LB is kind of a need, so...

162: WR Javon Heiligh. This team will need more than one new WR for obvious reasons.

201: CB Jalen Green. He *has* to be better than Iggy, right?

220: OL Chris Paul. Yes, a third O-lineman, and I didn't even have to spend a top 50 pick on any of them. Cool

I thought hard about Bailey Zappe at 100 but figured OL was a greater need and he was gone at 117 Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:50 pm

Another good WR to consider: 6'3" Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama. He would also provide the size needed IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:59 pm

Doesn't matter who we draft on the offensive line if we don't have offensive line coaching!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:42 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Doesn't matter who we draft on the offensive line if we don't have offensive line coaching!

This, X 1000!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:44 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:

I would LOVE to find a way to get both Burks and Chris Olave in this draft.  Burks is like Waddle in that you can line him up anywhere and he'll produce - but the difference is, he's HUGE!  He's like a more versatile - and less fragile - DeVante Parker.  Olave is the best route runner in the class IMO, and he would really be an excellent target for Tua.  A WR of Waddle, Burks and Olave has me drooling!  Cool

Unfortunately this will be impossible thanks to Grier deciding that it was vitally important to trade away the 3rd this year for Eichenberg  Game thoughts: week 16 Dolphins at Saints 1f621

He *could* start trading away some of the 2023 picks but...I'd really rather not see that.

It's actually kinda sad that I've already decided it's Burks or nothing for me and will be highly upset if he's not the pick but it is what it is. IMO Olave will be gone by the time the Fins pick anyway.

BTW I literally just did a mock from this site. https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/mocks/nfl-mock-draft-simulator For some reason my actual mock won't show, so I have to just spell it out.

21: Burks. I was so scared he wouldn't be there affraid but he was cheers cheers cheers

53: RB Kenneth Walker. It's obvious the talent there HAS to be upgraded. Gaskin's shown all he can show and while I like him it's just...not much.

100: IOL Alec Lindstrom. Gotta get somebody to replace Jackson--he absolutely cannot be the starter again.

117: OT Max Mitchell. He could play one side and his ex-teammate Hunt could play the other. I'd be comfortable with that, and it would be a lot cheaper than some FA journeyman retread.

121: LB Channing Tindall. I know nothing about this guy but I wanted to give the D a little love and LB is kind of a need, so...

162: WR Javon Heiligh. This team will need more than one new WR for obvious reasons.

201: CB Jalen Green. He *has* to be better than Iggy, right?

220: OL Chris Paul. Yes, a third O-lineman, and I didn't even have to spend a top 50 pick on any of them.  Cool

I thought hard about Bailey Zappe at 100 but figured OL was a greater need and he was gone at 117  Crying or Very sad

Those first 3 picks would make my toes tingle, as Mandich used to say! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:06 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Doesn't matter who we draft on the offensive line if we don't have offensive line coaching!

This. That's why IMO it's a complete waste of time to even consider going O-line with the first OR second picks. I mean yeah, they'll need *some* new ones but who's to say Grier won't do his usual thing of throwing money at 30something FAs who aren't that good to begin with? And then get rid of them all ASAP?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:08 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Another good WR to consider:  6'3" Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama.  He would also provide the size needed IMO.

Literally never heard of him before, but now I'll do some research.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:Another good WR to consider:  6'3" Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama.  He would also provide the size needed IMO.

Literally never heard of him before, but now I'll do some research.

I saw his name mentioned somewhere else. He's had a lot of production over the past 2 seasons, but otherwise I know nothing about him.

One draft note: last year's draft was loaded with small, fast receivers, but this upcoming draft is loaded with huge receivers. Strange how that works...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:04 pm

Kyler Hamilton to me is a once in a lifetime S. He could be the next Cam Chancellor. He's got size, range, and speed. His play style lives up to what Flores likes on defense. Versatility.

I just don't think he'll be there at 21
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:52 am

Tolbert did account for half of South Alabama's total yardage VS the Vols this season. Then again the Vols have a horrible D (only two SEC teams allowed more points). Still interesting, though.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2021-11-20-tennessee.html

Taking a deeper dive, it seems as if USA's offense was just awful in general (91st of 130 in scoring) and Tolbert was literally their only player worth anything. So in the Fins draft him he should be used to being in that situation Laughing

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/south-alabama/2021.html

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down