The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired!

+5
rightchea
JEGnj
DolFan 316
JMP
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired! Empty Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired!

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:14 am

But one player sentiment expressed to us by multiple people was this: The benefits of a change from Philbin to Campbell will be marginal if defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle or offensive coordinator Bill Lazor isn’t replaced.

Coyle is as disliked by his players as any coach we’ve encountered here. Players pleaded with him in a meeting last Monday to change his approach, including his read-and-react style which keeps defensive linemen from attacking as much as some would wish. Coyle made some concessions but not enough to please them.

Campbell made clear today that he wants to play aggressively. But he said he hasn’t decided whether to replace Coyle. One person inside the building mentioned former Lions coach Jim Schwartz as an option that had been mentioned, but it’s unclear whether Campbell will pursue that.

Linebackers coach Mark Duffner is well liked and also could be a candidate for defensive coordinator if a change is made.

Last season, a lot of players appreciated Lazor’s abilities as a play-caller even though some were turned off by his personality. This season, though, there has been considerable internal questioning of his play-calling, including his lack of commitment to the running game, which frustrates several players.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/10/tannehills-contentious-exchange-with-teammates-player-reaction-campbell-more-unrest-in-davie-.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired! Empty Re: Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired!

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:20 am

If Campbell wants an aggressive team, step one is getting rid of these two crappy coordinators. Neither one knows how to attack, and they are both soft and passive. Campbell seems like a smart guy. I just hope he's smart enough to recognize that he can't win games with these losers calling the shots.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired! Empty Re: Coyle and Lazor must go UPDATE: Coyle fired!

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:22 am

The Phins offense was a mirage last year. The higher scoring was a direct result of the Dolphins having the best avg. starting field position in the NFL. Defense and STs set up the offense...and even then, the Phins were one of the league's worst red zone offenses. This year the offense is the same as it was last season, but this year we're not getting the field position and we don't have a respected deep threat.

Bottom line: Lazor sucks and has no clue what he's doing. He's a college coach masquerading as an NFL coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:34 am

My point is, at least Lazor's had *some* success. And with a terribad O-line to work with. Most points for a season in 20 years isn't nothing, regardless of the circumstances. He's at least earned the right not to be fired until the end of the season Wink

Besides, who else could possibly take over for him? At least Duffner seems a ready-made candidate to step in for Coyle. But I haven't heard anything of note from any of the offensive position coaches, and that's not a good sign pale

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:45 am

Completely disagree. Lazor is a snake-oil salesman who talks a good game, but can't do shit on gameday. He's clueless and needs to go. He doesn't understand situational football and he's obsessed with bubble screens and other varieties of 2-yard passes. And, he has no idea how to use a running game.

The new OC should be WR coach Ken O'Keefe, who was an OC for Iowa for over 10 years.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:53 am

Not confirmed but one of the shows just reported Coyle let go.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am

JMP wrote:The new OC should be WR coach Ken O'Keefe, who was an OC for Iowa for over 10 years.

I haven't heard anything good about O'Keefe at all. On the other hand he did turn Matthews into a player and there's Landry as well. But it seems odd that you ding Lazor for being a college coach yet want to turn over the reigns to someone who WAS a college OC for 20 years Neutral

Please please PLEASE let the Coyle canning rumors be true!!!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:14 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:The new OC should be WR coach Ken O'Keefe, who was an OC for Iowa for over 10 years.

I haven't heard anything good about O'Keefe at all. On the other hand he did turn Matthews into a player and there's Landry as well. But it seems odd that you ding Lazor for being a college coach yet want to turn over the reigns to someone who WAS a college OC for 20 years Neutral

Please please PLEASE let the Coyle canning rumors be true!!!

When I say "college coach" I mean the newer breed of college coaches that preach athleticism rather than football. Spread offenses, deception and gimmick plays, rather than 'beat the guy in front of you'. I don't know what offense O'Keefe ran in Iowa, but at least he has stability on his resume...unlike Lazor, who bounces from job to job. Plus, O'Keefe has much more experience than Lazor.

Put it this way - we have the worst offense in the league. The only way to go is up.

No more half-measures - if you're going to make a change, make a real change. Don't go half-way.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:20 am

I'll still be happy if Coyle is fired today. That doesn't mean Lazor won't/can't be fired later. The year the Ravens won the SB good ol' Cam was fired from the OC job after 10 games or so. I just have a feeling the offense's problems stem more from a putrid, pathetic posse of palookas up front and Philbin's overriding timidity more than anything, whereas it's obvious to everyone Coyle just plain can't coach.

But if the Fins go the next 2-3 games without the scoring improving, I'll likely be right there with you Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:29 am

Coyle needs to go, without a doubt. But I'd put Lazor at the same level...he's killing this team just as much as Coyle IMHO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Well it sounds like Coyle is the only person that is on the chopping block. Lazor is being spared because of the fact that the offense isn't as bad as the defense

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:07 pm

rightchea wrote:Well it sounds like Coyle is the only person that is on the chopping block. Lazor is being spared because of the fact that the offense isn't as bad as the defense

I have no idea what the plans are for either coordinator. So far we've only heard media speculation. The team hasn't said anything either way.

And I would argue that the offense and defense are equally bad. In fact, if I had to choose I think the offense may be worse than the defense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:51 pm

Coyle fired today according to Albert Breer.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:51 pm

This pleases me.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:06 pm

YES!!!  Coyle is gone, confirmed by multiple sources.  The Dolphins haven't released anything official yet, but the word is that DB coach Lou Anarumo has been promoted to DC.

EDIT: According to rotoworld, Anarumo has in fact gotten the DC job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank God. Now let your pass rushers do what they do best and not some shitty read and react double gap stuff.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:42 pm

My reaction is similar to this. (Definite NSFW.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Don't know whether Anarumo will be any better, but it would be hard for him to be worse.

Hard to argue with any of the moves made this week, given the timing. I now feel we have a fighting chance to compete, at least.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 pm

If they allow this D line to just get after it, they will immediately improve.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:32 am

Anarumo said the "2 gap" thing is completely false. He said Miami was and will remain a 1 gap system. This confused me.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:17 am

You can see that they were using a two gap system.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:47 am

Then why did our new DC say they weren't ? This is why I'm confused.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am

Campbell met with Anarumo and Told Him what He wanted from the defense and Anarumo agreed before He got the Job, Philbin let Coyle do what He wanted and didn't intervene but the Players have been trying all Year to get coyle to change the defense. Finally someone told Him it was Time to go, So I'm Happy for Now, Hopefully We have a Chance against Bye This weekend.

Last edited by finskev on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:30 am

Well, whatever they want to call the system, it clearly wasn't working and big changes are needed. Let's hope Anarumo can figure it out.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next