The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players

5 posters

Go down

Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players Empty Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players

Post by JMP Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:34 pm

I figure there will be a decent amount of cuts coming, so here's a thread for them.

First up: Jesse Davis and Allen Hurns have both been cut. Hurns failed his physical.

I really like Jesse Davis as a backup that can play multiple positions. I really hate Jesse Davis as a starter. So, yeah, good luck and good riddance Jesse.

I'll always like Hurns because he's a Cane, but he really hasn't done anything of note since his big season with Jax way back in 2015. He did make a couple of clutch catches for us in 2019, but also had some key drops.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players Empty Re: Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players

Post by HalCHorn Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:15 pm

Agree on both.

I appreciate Davis as a guy who got the most out of his talent as an undrafted FA in 2015. Respect to him for starting over 70 games in 5 seasons. Not a starting OT on a good team, but I'll take him over a Jonathan Martin any day of the week. Happy trails.

Hurns has also made a lot out of his UFA status; he was close to Pro Bowl level in 2015 even. But there's no longer a place for him on this depth chart.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players Empty Re: Thread for Dolphins cuts and released players

Post by finskev Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:42 pm

Davis days were Numbered after the Play that Got Tua Hurt. When the New Coaching saw that on Tape and His Salary was 3.6 Million.

Hurns almost forgot he was on the Team until I saw his Cap#.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:51 pm

Davis getting cut was such a no-brainer I'm actually shocked it took this long. He's basically the guy at every workplace who doesn't do his job well at all but somehow keeps sticking around because he always follows the company behavioral policy, has "good body language" and says all the right things to be in tight with the boss.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:03 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Davis getting cut was such a no-brainer I'm actually shocked it took this long. He's basically the guy at every workplace who doesn't do his job well at all but somehow keeps sticking around because he always follows the company behavioral policy, has "good body language" and says all the right things to be in tight with the boss.

No I actually think the problem is/was the lack of coaching and the horrendous lack of competition they kept trotting out there.

If Kindley had progressed, then Hunt might could have stayed at RT, but after they got rid of Flowers and TeamKiller Flores last offensive Offensive Coaching staffs
brain dead Oline and Offensive game plans, all those first year and second year guys basically got skewered by the poor coaching for the Oline IMO.

That meant the veterans had a big step up and knew what to listen to and what to ignore from the idiots devising the Oline calls.

Davis knew enough to out-perform the more physically talented OTs in practice at least, and since no Lineman was going to SHINE in the dumbarssery that TeamKiller Flores unleashed on the Phins Offense last season... Davis kept his job.

He made the most of his abilities and staying in the league as long as he did is a testament to the abilities he does have.

I dearly hope the new Offensive staff can FIX some the players the Phins do have on the O line. I doubt they all ACTUALLY stink as bad as they did last year?

Hopefully...

Neutral
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:11 am

finfanatic wrote:Davis knew enough to out-perform the more physically talented OTs in practice at least, and since no Lineman was going to SHINE in the dumbarssery that TeamKiller Flores unleashed on the Phins Offense last season... Davis kept his job.

Did he actually outperform the others in practice though? Knowing what we now know about Flores, that may not have been the case at all.

He made the most of his abilities and staying in the league as long as he did is a testament to the abilities he does have.

As impressed as I am with your boldness (in the other post) I have to disagree. Like Preston Williams, Davis was never good enough to be in the NFL and only was by default because Grier managed to assemble the least talented roster since possibly the '76 Bucs (even the 0-16 Lions had Calvin Johnson).

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:31 am

The way Flores handled the OL last season was just disgraceful. He should have been fired for that alone.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:59 am

I think Davis was and is a good backup OT/fill in at other positions. Depth in other words.

Asking him to be a starter is where he gets in trouble.

But I am fine with the Phins cutting him.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:53 am

Field Yates
✔
@FieldYates

The Dolphins converted $13.255M of CB Byron Jones’ base salary into a signing bonus, creating $10.604M in 2022 cap space, per source.

The team also added $750K in cap space by reworking the contract of S Clayton Fejedelem.

With some major recent adds, Miami needed flexibility.

Barry Jackson
✔
@flasportsbuzz

Even after the Byron Jones and Fejedelem restructures, Fins with very little cap space (about $5 M, per NFL union figures). So more space must be created to do anything significant.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:58 am

Welp, building through the draft didn't work (thanks, Grier!) and the Rams literally just bought themselves a title, so I'll allow it Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:28 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Welp, building through the draft didn't work (thanks, Grier!) and the Rams literally just bought themselves a title, so I'll allow it Cool

I would say that the Rams and the Bucs both gave the NFL a formula for winning: build a core through the draft, and then put the roster over the top with key free agent and trade additions. That appears to be the exact formula that the Phins are following. We'll see how it works out for the Phins, but either way we have made tremendous strides this offseason and the team should take a massive step forward.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down