The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New look tough Phins?

+5
finskev
Degarmo
JEGnj
JMP
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Go down

New look tough Phins? Empty New look tough Phins?

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:01 pm

The media portion of practice has just wound down and everybody is abuzz over the most intense workout we’ve seen in ages.
Safe to assume the Dan Campbell factor is already in effect, complete with a brief skirmish (which he predicted) and one-on-one Oklahoma drills as the entire team gathered ’round to egg on the combatants.
As soon as the media entered the bubble, it was obvious Campbell no longer is concerned with just coaching the tight ends. He began in the middle of the field, observing everybody, but quickly zipped over to eyeball the offensive linemen, then receivers, then defensive linemen, etc.

Campbell was named interim coach, replacing Joe Philbin, on Monday.
For the record, Kevin Coyle was handling the defensive players, apparently still in the role of defensive coordinator.
Soon enough, Jarvis Landry caught a ball and was pushed one too many times for his liking by defensive back Ced Thompson, who is on the practice squad. Landry shoved Thompson back, then Thompson shoved, as a brief skirmish ensued.
Campbell must have loved it.
Later, everybody gathered in a circle near midfield as players began banging into one another in one-on-one drills. Jordan Phillips vs. Branden Albert, Mike Pouncey vs. Sam Brenner, etc., etc., with hoots and hollers at each turn.
Many veterans either are not here today or not working, including Reshad Jones, Cam Wake, Earl Mitchell, Brent Grimes and Ndamukong Suh, who at one point was distributing Gatorade bottles to players.
Dion Sims was dressed.
Later this morning, the locker room will open and players will get their first chance en masse to discuss the coaching change.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/10/07/miami-dolphins-crank-up-intensity-in-first-workout-under-dan-campbell/

Wednesday marked the first day on the practice field for Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell, and those watching have reported that Campbell started practice by dividing the offense and defense and holding Oklahoma drills.

So, Campbell probably has his team’s attention. And maybe the NFL Players Association’s attention, too.

The Oklahoma drill — named for longtime Oklahoma University coach Bud Wilkinson — is a full-contact, full-speed drill that includes players either blocking or tackling (or both) in a confined area.

With the emphasis on concussion prevention and player safety, most NFL teams no longer do the Oklahoma drill in training camp — and it’s hard to imagine any team doing it during an in-season practice, even during a bye week like the Dolphins have this week. The Bengals used to open training camp with it, but Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has canceled it the last two seasons.

Campbell, who played 10 NFL seasons as a tight end, obviously thinks his 1-3 team needed a wakeup call and a firm sign that things will be different going forward. It will be interesting to hear what his players think about his methods.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/07/interim-dolphins-coach-busts-out-oklahoma-drill/

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

New look tough Phins? Empty Re: New look tough Phins?

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:30 pm

This is awesome! Campbell is the anti-Philbin.

Love hearing about all the intenisty and aggression. This team has been too soft for too long. If Campbell does nothing else, making this team tough again would be a huge step forward.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm

Love It.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:45 pm

Fuckin NFL and the NFLPA will be asking him to stop soon as their masquerade of caring continues.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Some People of course are going crazy about the drill they ran at the beginning of Practice, Teams are allowed one practice in Pads each week during the first 11 weeks, than only 3 for the rest of year from week 12-17.

I think he did it to make a point and might do it a couple more times as needed. People need to just relax.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:30 pm

finskev wrote:Some People of course are going crazy about the drill they ran at the beginning of Practice, Teams are allowed one practice in Pads each week during the first 11 weeks, than only 3 for the rest of year from week 12-17.

I think he did it to make a point and might do it a couple more times as needed. People need to just relax.

It was definitely all for show - no question. There's no way you can practice like that every day, even if the league did allow it.

I think the thing to take from today's practice is that Campbell is backing up what he promised. He said he wanted to raise the intensity level and competition at practice, and so far he's doing it. We'll see what happens moving forward, but if Campbell can make this team more aggressive and tough then he's already ahead of Philbin.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:51 pm

Here's a video of Campbell talking to the media after today's practice:

https://youtu.be/G0sro6EH5Fo

Campbell is one cool dude...I'm buying what he's selling. I have no idea if he's a head coach (yet), but he definitely looks the part.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm all for the Oklahoma drills and more accountability and fire. I'm just saying the NFL frowns upon actual football anymore.

I love what Campbell is trying to instill in these guys, and hopefully he gets Coyle to change his shitty system, particularly with the defensive linemen. We've got upfield rushers being asked to play gap-control, and that's why we have practically no QB pressures.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:55 pm

It's awesome that Campbell used the words "violently" and "primates" in a press conference! LOL

"all about being primates again"

"violently compete"

Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:57 pm

If Campbell shows the "it" factor over the rest of this season, he might be worth keeping after the season.

Hiring a guy a year or two before he was "ready" didn't hurt Philadelphia in the long run when they took a chance on Andy Reid. Certainly wouldn't have hurt us if we'd done with same with Todd Bowles after the '11 season either.

Let's see what he can do. There's plenty of obstacles, but we were headed for 4-12 or worse with Mr. Magoo. 7-9 would actually be an accomplishment.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Is it me or does it look like the players and staff really felt Philbert made the team unprepared and soft?
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:05 pm

I love the fact that he is toughing them up. Miami needs it and so does the fans. There isn't any player that is playing right now that I say is tough on this team. Campbell might become the head coach if he can get Miami back into the playoff hunt...

Media wise he needs to do better. He sounds like he never done it before.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:08 pm

I love the unpolished non-coachspeak.  It's refreshing. I'm exhausted of corporate bullshit responses and tow-the-line company answers.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Degarmo wrote:I love the unpolished non-coachspeak.  It's refreshing.  I'm exhausted of corporate bullshit responses and tow-the-line company answers.

Yep, I love it. He's talking off the cuff and telling you exactly what he thinks - very refreshing.

I'd love to see what this guy could do with two legit coordinators...guess we'll have to wait till next year, if he keeps the job.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:28 pm

At least I can now root for the team to win each week. When Grampa joe was here, each win only prolonged the inevitable. If Campbell can rally the troops and end the season near .500, he just might get the gig.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:23 am

Degarmo wrote:Fuckin NFL and the NFLPA will be asking him to stop soon as their masquerade of caring continues.

Exactly. This is the same NFLPA whose members are now regularly assaulting each other during games. This is what happens in a group of sociopaths who have been told from puberty that silly things like laws and rules and minimum standards of intelligence don't apply to them because they're "special".

JMP wrote:It was definitely all for show - no question.  There's no way you can practice like that every day, even if the league did allow it.

Back in the day I get the feeling players *did* practice like that every day. It's only in the past 20 years that the idea of guys getting worn down by going too hard has taken root. Men of yesteryear were just plain tougher, mentally and physically. Maybe because they literally had more testosterone inside them and didn't have to resort to ED drugs to screw at age 50.

Degarmo wrote:I'm all for the Oklahoma drills and more accountability and fire.  I'm just saying the NFL frowns upon actual football anymore.

It's literally as if everybody's forgotten that football is a contact sport, and so what you get now is the equivalent of trying to drive without ever putting your hands on the wheel. Either make a commitment to blocking and tackling or outlaw it completely, this half-assed garbage isn't cutting it.

Yeah, I'm feeling macho today. Wanna make something of it?  Twisted Evil

HalCHorn wrote:If Campbell shows the "it" factor over the rest of this season, he might be worth keeping after the season.

Hiring a guy a year or two before he was "ready" didn't hurt Philadelphia in the long run when they took a chance on Andy Reid.  Certainly wouldn't have hurt us if we'd done with same with Todd Bowles after the '11 season either.

Not to mention a couple of young whippersnappers named Shula and Madden. How many people had even heard of them before they got their first HC job? Well, Shula was kinda sorta known when he played but still.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Back in the day I get the feeling players *did* practice like that every day. It's only in the past 20 years that the idea of guys getting worn down by going too hard has taken root. Men of yesteryear were just plain tougher, mentally and physically. Maybe because they literally had more testosterone inside them and didn't have to resort to ED drugs to screw at age 50.

Yep, things are much different now. Look at baseball...back in the day guys used to pitch both games of a doubleheader, but now if they throw more than 90 pitches it's like their arm is going to fall off. Sports have been watered down, no question.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:36 pm

It is all the crap they make them take and all the crap within the things that we eat. The food and water is different. Training is different as well. When I played ball, they would work the water out of your body but now a days they to worried about them per-madonna

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down