The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans

4 posters

Go down

Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans  Empty Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans

Post by JMP Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:31 am

Beer: I actually didn’t drink because I watched the game after I went to a christening and before I went to a concert. For what it’s worth, at the christening party I drank a few Sapporos!

Hero of the Day: Cam Wake

Goat of the Day: Joe Philbin, because yesterday highlighted what a cancer he was to this team

“The sleeping giant is awake!” The Dan Campbell era began yesterday, and if this one game is any indication, I am volunteering to drive the “Dan Campbell for permanent head coach” bandwagon.

Clearly, whatever Campbell did in practice these past two weeks, it worked. I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw the entire Dolphins team play with so much energy, fire, emotion and toughness. Hard to believe that a head coach could make so much a difference, but for one day at least, it did. Offense, defense and special teams – every single player on every single unit of this team stepped up and kicked ass from start to finish. The Titans didn’t know what hit them.

The running game set the tone on offense, with Lamar Miller (and Jarvis Landry!) consistently running wild over the Titan defense. New starter Billy Turner was a major difference-maker on the OL…that dude can run block like a demon. Can’t believe he wasn’t given a chance sooner. The running game in turn brought playaction passing back to the Dolphins offense, and Tannehill was able to shred the Titan D. I thought Tannehill had an inconsistent game overall, but he did his job and got the team in the endzone. Against better teams, though, he really needs to be more accurate. Huge game from Rishard Matthews. And damn, this team really missed Dion Sims. He was a major contributor yesterday as a blocker and receiver. The playcalling was very good, and kept the Titans guessing.

The defense gave up some big plays, particularly in the passing game, but never broke and was able to force a bunch of turnovers to kill Titan drives. Reports of Cam Wake’s demise were clearly exaggerated, as he played like a man possessed and had one of the best games of his career. He was absolutely dominant, racking up 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. Simply unstoppable. The pass rush across the board was excellent, and I even saw a couple of blitzes work – a rarity for the Phins. The secondary was excellent overall, and Jamar Taylor actually looked like an NFL player. Even the much-maligned LBs made some plays. If the defense can play like this every week, this team is going to win some games.

The change is this team was really astonishing. In the previous two games, the Dolphins got pushed around in all phases and basically looked like they were sleepwalking. But yesterday, everyone was jacked up, flying around and bullying the Titans. The OL was playing beyond the whistle, the defense was delivering big hit after big hit…it was awesome.

This was the type of game I’ve wanted to see from the Dolphins for many years, and feared that I’d never see. I’ve always wanted to see the Phins attack, rather than just sit back and react – and yesterday, attack they did, in all phases. I don’t know what the rest of the season holds, but right now the needle is pointing up and Dan Campbell so far looks like a force to be reckoned with. Not only has Campbell energized the team, he’s also energized the fanbase – and more importantly, he’s given us something that’s been lacking for many, many years - hope.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans  Empty Re: Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans

Post by white1 Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:54 am

Totally agree JMP and I expect a let down when we face the tougher teams on the schedule. However, can we take Buffalo and the Jets? Damn right we can. And we should.

Pair up Campbell with a GM that can draft, and an upgrade for AT LEAST the defensive coordinator (if not OC too), and I think he can churn out winning teams.

His problem the remainder of this year is going to be at the Xs and Os level. The better coaches (and QBs) we face, will out game plan us. Emotion and effort only take us so far, unfortunately.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans  Empty Re: Thoughts on game 5 - Phins at Titans

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:13 am

YESSSS!!! WOOHOO!!! I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN WAITING FOR THIS ALL MORNING!!!

JMP wrote:Clearly, whatever Campbell did in practice these past two weeks, it worked.  I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw the entire Dolphins team play with so much energy, fire, emotion and toughness.

I remember. It was the Chargers game last season. You know, the one Philbin missed.

New starter Billy Turner was a major difference-maker on the OL…that dude can run block like a demon.  Can’t believe he wasn’t given a chance sooner.

Really Jmp??? You can't believe it??? Come on now Razz

Reports of Cam Wake’s demise were clearly exaggerated, as he played like a man possessed and had one of the best games of his career.  He was absolutely dominant, racking up 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles.  Simply unstoppable.

I still think he's past it, but sometimes great players can put on an occasional great performance even when they're in full-on decline. Wake had just 3 sacks in his previous 11 games before Sunday BTW. He also now needs only one more for the second most sacks in franchise history. Let's see if he can keep this up the rest of the season.

This was the type of game I’ve wanted to see from the Dolphins for many years, and feared that I’d never see.  I’ve always wanted to see the Phins attack, rather than just sit back and react – and yesterday, attack they did, in all phases.  I don’t know what the rest of the season holds, but right now the needle is pointing up and Dan Campbell so far looks like a force to be reckoned with.  Not only has Campbell energized the team, he’s also energized the fanbase – and more importantly, he’s given us something that’s been lacking for many, many years - hope.

If I don't watch out, I might start getting really angry that Ross didn't fire Philbin before this season started. Could it BE any more obvious how utterly stupid that was???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:15 am

white1 wrote:Totally agree JMP and I expect a let down when we face the tougher teams on the schedule.  However, can we take Buffalo and the Jets? Damn right we can.  And we should.

Just remember, I'm the one who said all along Rex Ryan wouldn't sweep the Fins ever Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:16 am

Amazed too that Mathews and Turner looked so game-ready. How could Philbin be so clueless about who should be playing and who shouldn't?

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down