The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule

+2
white1
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule Empty Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:11 pm

Remember that 7-game stretch I was wringing my hands over before the season started? Yeah.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2015/10/20/dolphins-have-nfls-toughest-remaining-schedule/

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule Empty Re: Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule

Post by white1 Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:07 am

When we beat a good team, I'll start getting interested in making some noise this year.

One game over the lowly Titans doesn't have me convinced. Encouraged, but not convinced.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule Empty Re: Fins Have NFL's Toughest Remaining Schedule

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:27 am

I have to agree. The Titan were great at all and Miami shoud have ran over them. The Ravens offense and defense suck and Philly mediocre at best, so if Miami can play them the same way they played the the Titans those should be wins. But then again I not holding my breath.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 am

from the article...

If interim coach Dan Campbell can somehow lead the Dolphins to the playoffs...

its absolutely ridiculous for any team not named the New England Patriots to even consider uttering the "P" word - playoffs - at this time.  i know its horrible coach speak, but the Phins truly need to only focus on one game at a time.  right now they need to worry about, and only worry about, beating the Texans.  the rest of the schedule will come when it comes.

“The challenge now for these guys is to not start patting themselves on the back,” Campbell said. “Because we’ve been notorious for that around here. We get a big win and all of a sudden it’s a lull the next week.”

yet another well-deserved shot from the interim coach at the handling of this team by the previous coaching regime.

“I don’t think there’s going to be a lull this time,” Albert said. “I think guys believe in what Coach Campbell’s doing. I think guys are way more in tune. I think guys believe now.”

show me, don't tell me.  we heard all through the preseason about how guys were buying into Philbin's approach and the talented roster was ready to make some noise.  and then we all saw how flat this team started.

but if you want to know just how dysfunctional it really was...

Rishard Matthews told Jim Rome today that even when Joe Philbin was here, Dan Campbell "was the guy they placed in front of us to speak to get us motivated and fired up for a game and any type of situation."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/10/gms-tv-analysts-coaches-assess-heat-eastern-conference-primer-dolphins-buzz-marlins-meet-with-anothe.html

i guess now the team finally realized they had no choice but to listen to Campbell's motivational speeches.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:41 am

Playoffs ain't happening - not a chance. At no point before or during this season have I ever thought this was a playoff team, and last week's win didn't change that for me.

All I want to see moving forward is a team that competes week in and week out.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:02 pm

JMP wrote:Playoffs ain't happening - not a chance.  At no point before or during this season have I ever thought this was a playoff team, and last week's win didn't change that for me.

All I want to see moving forward is a team that competes week in and week out.

I have to agree it would take a miracle for Miami to make it to the playoffs with the schedule that they have. IMO, Miami will get at least 5 wins this season.

But I gonna knock on wood that Miami get at least 8 wins

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:10 am

I predicted 8 wins before the season. Now, I think 6 is more reasonable.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 am

Gotta love how people get manipulated so easily.

Before the season 8 wins was universally considered unacceptable. Now most of these same folks would consider 8 wins to be a huge accomplishment. And why is that? Because they started 1-3 instead of 4-0 like most of the mediots predicted?

It reminds me of how gas being $2 per gallon used to be considered outrageous--and now people are practically dancing in the streets when gas is *only* $2 a gallon these days.

If Campbell's coaching has any sort of long term positive effect, this team can and should still have more than 8 wins. If they finish the season with only 6, then he'll be gone and needs to be gone because obviously the new approach will have failed. Think about it--they have 11 games to get the 4 wins needed to reach 6. That hardly seems to much to ask from a supposedly rejuvenated team, does it?

The Fins started 2-4 in '08 and won 11 games, so let's not act like 8 wins is impossible. Starting 1-3 and making the playoffs has been done multiple times in NFL history.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:35 am

If it was Philbin then 8 wins is not acceptable. But since Campbell just came in I would like to see him make it to 8 wins but that just if he is lucky....

If he takes Miami to the playoffs, fans won't have to worry about looking for another HC just maybe a DC

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:56 am

Even Sparano in '09 had the Fins at 7-6 after an 0-3 start.

That's not to say I've suddenly done a 180 and now believe the remaining schedule is full of pathetic pansy poseurs. But let's be honest here, the Colts and Ravens aren't anywhere near as good as everyone thought, and the three NFC East opponents are hit or miss. The Campbell Era Fins also probably beat the Bills, and I would give them a serious shot against the Jets now as well.

Also, if Philbin can split with the Pats, why can't Campbell?

Hell, it should be obvious to anybody at this point that if Campbell starts out as the coach, this team is 4-1 right now. The Jags game is definitely a win, and they beat either the Bills or Jets for sure. Not both, but one of them at least.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:09 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Gotta love how people get manipulated so easily.

Before the season 8 wins was universally considered unacceptable. Now most of these same folks would consider 8 wins to be a huge accomplishment. And why is that? Because they started 1-3 instead of 4-0 like most of the mediots predicted?

It reminds me of how gas being $2 per gallon used to be considered outrageous--and now people are practically dancing in the streets when gas is *only* $2 a gallon these days.

If Campbell's coaching has any sort of long term positive effect, this team can and should still have more than 8 wins. If they finish the season with only 6, then he'll be gone and needs to be gone because obviously the new approach will have failed. Think about it--they have 11 games to get the 4 wins needed to reach 6. That hardly seems to much to ask from a supposedly rejuvenated team, does it?

The Fins started 2-4 in '08 and won 11 games, so let's not act like 8 wins is impossible. Starting 1-3 and making the playoffs has been done multiple times in NFL history.

I disagree.  Campbell was handed a bag of shit and asked to make a fabulous work of art out of it.  The roster has huge, gaping holes and the coaching staff is hot garbage.  

Before the season started, I don't think any of us realized just how bad things were in the locker room, and how disinterested the players were.  If Philbin hadn't been fired, I think a 3-win season would have been very possible - maybe even probable.  It was that bad.  Look at that Jets game - the players literally didn't even care and were just going through the motions.  Rock bottom was just around the corner if Philbin had been retained.

So, if Campbell can succeed in getting the players to actually show up each week and play tough, competitive football, I think that's good enough for this year.  There are no "moral victories", but if this team can at least set the foundation of a team that plays balls out every down, every game, that's a huge step forward.  Then in the offseason, hopefully a strong GM, OC and DC can be brought in and the Phins can finally work on building something legit.  I think this season is now about establishing a new culture in Miami...crazy as it sounds, I see wins as secondary at this point because it's more important to build something that lasts than to win a few extra games now.  Build something that's sustainable.

Last edited by JMP on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:17 am

JMP wrote:I disagree.  Campbell was handed a bag of shit and asked to make a fabulous work of art out of it.  The roster has huge, gaping holes and the coaching staff is hot garbage.

And the roster was pretty much hot garbage when Philbin was getting 8-win seasons out of them. I look around the league and about 90% of all teams have rosters that could be classified as hot garbage. I cannot recall seeing the overall NFL is a weaker state, honestly. As of right now, the Pats are the ONLY remaining opponent that is clearly superior to the Fins. Was the '08 team really that talented? On paper, this team actually has more.

Before the season started, I don't think any of us realized just how bad things were in the locker room, and how disinterested the players were.  If Philbin hadn't been fired, I think a 3-win season would have been very possible - maybe even probable.  It was that bad.  Look at that Jets game - the players literally didn't even care and were just going through the motions.  Rock bottom was just around the corner if Philbin had been retained.

Um, I realized it. And the rest of you should have after the infamous Philbin "rap" session. Forget 3 wins, this team under Philbin would've gone 1-15.

So, if Campbell can succeeed in getting the players to actually show up each week and play tough, competitive football, I think that's good enough for this year.  There are no "moral victories", but if this team can at least set the foundation of a team that plays balls out every down, every game, that's a huge step forward.  Then in the offseason, hopefully a strong GM, OC and DC can be brought in and the Phins can finally work on building something legit.  I think this season is now about establishing a new culture in Miami...crazy as it sounds, I see wins as secondary at this point because it's more important to build something that lasts than to win a few extra games now.  Build something that's sustainable.

I feel ya, dude. But it doesn't mean I've thrown this season into the trash just yet. A Texans loss and I might be on the verge of doing it but right now I'm intrigued.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Oh, I'm definitely intrigued. But as much as I love everything Campbell has done, I can't see this team getting to 8+ wins. Too much to overcome, and the schedule is brutal.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:46 pm

I have to say that Miami is just not going to the playoffs this year and some of these guys will have to go by the time the season ends. IMO, Miami finds a high profile coach but doesn't get one for the fact that Tannebaum wants control

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:02 pm

The problem is that I don't see any great coaching prospects out there. There won't be any big-name coaches available (maybe Payton...more on that below), and I'm not sure who the latest 'flash in the pan' coordinators are. You could go the retread route with Josh McDaniel or Eric Mangini, but does anyone really think those guys are the answer? (Well, Tannenbaum might...)

It's highly unlikely, but Sean Payton may be available via trade, and he would be the kind of big-name splash that Tannenbaum loves. But...I absolutely wouldn't want to give up picks for Payton, and he is heading for his third losing season in the past four years. I'd rather get a coach that has positive momentum rather than a coach that has been sinking.

Best case scenario is Campbell earns the job...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Mike Shannahan?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:15 pm

Degarmo wrote:Mike Shannahan?

If the Fins hire a sociopath who has all of one playoff victory this century, that really would be enough to get me rooting against the Fins Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:09 am

I'm not a fan, I was just mentioning that he's an available big name Smile

I think the guy's a douchebag.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am

I HATE Shanahan, but I don't think he'll ever coach again anyway. He's had just one winning season in his past 6 seasons...the game has passed him by.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 am

DolFan 316 wrote:But it doesn't mean I've thrown this season into the trash just yet.

hey guys. i think i'm lost. you could you point me in the direction of the Dolfan Cave. i'm not sure what this weird, up-side-down place is.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:48 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:But it doesn't mean I've thrown this season into the trash just yet.

hey guys.  i think i'm lost.  you could you point me in the direction of the Dolfan Cave.  i'm not sure what this weird, up-side-down place is.

LOL Amazing what a competent coach can do for an apathetic fanbase in just a couple of weeks!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:52 am

mercury22nathan wrote:hey guys.  i think i'm lost.  you could you point me in the direction of the Dolfan Cave.  i'm not sure what this weird, up-side-down place is.

If you're confused now, you'll think you're in an alternate universe for sure if the Texans Curse is broken Very Happy Twisted Evil

I was so fired up, that I actually thought today was Sunday and for a minute I was about to call out JEGnj for waiting so long to start the game thread. Seriously. Memphis playing (and winning) last night might have had something to do with it as well. College football on Friday night just ain't natural Laughing

Still not watching any games, that ship has probably sailed. I just have too many moral and ethical problems with football in general. But it's still nice for things to be looking up for a change team-wise.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down