The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Say NO...

+2
finskev
DolFan 316
6 posters

Go down

Just Say NO... Empty Just Say NO...

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm

To Dalvin Cook!!!

To those of you who don't already think I'm insane (a small list to be sure) this is why: here's how the Vikings and Fins fared in rushing last season.

VIKINGS: 404 attempts, 1661 yards, 4.1 YPC, 18 TDs, 18 fumbles

FINS: 390 attempts, 1686 yards, 4.3 YPC, 12 TDs, 16 fumbles

That's right--even WITH Cook starting every single game, the Vikings ran for LESS yards on MORE carries than the Fins with their cobbled together bunch of Mostert, Edmonds/Wilson, etc.

Also, Cook fumbled 4 times last season while the Fins RBs had just two combined.

Also, even with Cook the Vikings finished just 27th in rushing attempts.

Oh BTW there's the fact that the previous FIVE seasons of his career Cook has missed multiple games due to injury. I can see why Grier wants him now Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CookDa01.htm

Is Cook really worth going after and adding even MORE to this team's already bloated cap so they can...have about the same or worse rushing production as last season? HELL NO!!! Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

HalCHorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Just Say NO... Empty Re: Just Say NO...

Post by finskev Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:52 pm

Here is Part of Thread I saw concerning Cook.

Next, my disclaimer. I have a family member that works in the Falcon front office. Every once in a while, he hears things Dolphin related and gives me the skinny. If anybody remembers, during the Great Fangio media meltdown of 2023, I came in and shared some info that was conveyed to me that Fangio to Miami was absolutely a done deal and that we’d see him still with the Dolphins when the dust settled. In over 15 years, this was the only time I’ve posted “inside” info on here because I felt very solid about the source. I understand an awful lot of people claim to have sources on the internet, so please take the following with a grain of salt.

My 2nd ever inside source post: Dalvin Cook is coming to Miami. I feel good about my source because the Falcons kicked the tires on Cook but were rebuffed by the Vikings. The story as I’ve heard it is that Minny told Atlanta that while they’d be willing to talk about a trade, that Cook has already let it be known to the Minnesota front office that Miami is the only trade partner that he’d consider extending/reworking his current deal for.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:53 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Oh well, my pillowcases needed washing anyway.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:00 am

Really not a fan of this prospective move either. Would rather draft someone from a promising class (who doesn't have 1,300 carries of wear and tear already and has shown signs of slippage recently) and who hasn't been cited for maltreatment of animals, just sayin'.

Going with the four guys we re-signed is also a fine enough option with me.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 am

Nice work as always, 316.

I think the argument could be made that Cook and Mostert are essentially the same type of player, although Cook is a few years younger and is the better receiver and TD scorer. They have similar size and speed, run with a similar style, and both have injury histories.

BUT - Cook has shown that he can be a #1 back and carry the load (249+ carries in each of the last 4 seasons), while Mostert simply hasn't shown that ability (181 carries last season was a career high - never had more than 137 before that).

Bottom line: Cook is better, and more reliable, than what the Dolphins have now.

Having said all that: for the record, I agree completely with Hal's take. But I'd also be fine with adding Cook if it doesn't screw the cap. I think the trade compensation would be minimal.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:37 am

Here's a thought: what about trading Iggy for Cook straight up??? Remember, Flores is now in Minnesota.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:39 am

JMP wrote:Here's a thought: what about trading Iggy for Cook straight up???  Remember, Flores is now in Minnesota.

That is probably the ONLY way I'd be fine with it TBH. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:55 am

Well, if Grier could draft to save his worthless arse, they wouldn't have to go out and make these sort of lame brained deals.

If they don't have to give up a pick and Cook will renegotiate his contract...okay... but in the end I predict, this move will mean:

One - The Phins DO NOT DRAFT A RB this year. Say goodbye to Spears, Prince, Brown, whomever...

Two - This move will ultimately lead to paying Cook way too much because
a) he gets injured and doesn't play
b) they trade him or let him go and have to eat the dead money

Cook is good when healthy no doubt, but at what price and is that price difference worth the difference in Cook and Mostert/Wilson?

I say no, but...

I think I posted it somewhere else... When you are not filling up the roster with cheap drafted or undrafted rookies on cheap contracts, and you keep having to
sign and trade for free agents that costs more, eventually, you reach cap purgatory and have to make some hard decisions. I think the Phins are reaching that point.

If they draft a DT highly this year, it could mean they plan on letting one of the DTs they SAY they want to re-sign walk away.

Personally, I would rather have Wilkins/Seiler inked to long term deals and Spears as a rookie RB, but...

Apparently they think Cook is worth the extra cheddar.

We shall see.

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:15 pm

Egad! It is worse than I thought!

According to USA Today....

Dalvin Cook

Cook is set to make $14.1 million in Minnesota in 2023, and he has two years remaining on his current deal. A team acquiring the former Seminole in a trade would be on the hook for an $11 million cap hit in 2023, $12 million in 2024 and $14.5 million in 2025.

Ain't no way, no how, Cook is worth that.

Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed are only on the books for $6.76 mill!!!

Only Grier would be dumb enough to make this trade IMO. He ignores the RB position in the draft and goes out and gets a RB who costs too much with a lot of carries under his belt. Brilliant, Grier!!

No wonder the Phins are perpetual underwhelmers. The people who are in charge are complete dinglefruits!!

I sincerely hope this is all a bunch of fooferaw but I am inclined to believe the Phins are pursuing it, and would probably already have made the deal if they had the cap space for it.

Rolling Eyes

pale

No
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:26 pm

Cook would get a new deal from whatever team acquires him - his current contract is meaningless.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:26 pm

finfanatic wrote:Egad! It is worse than I thought!

According to USA Today....

Dalvin Cook

Cook is set to make $14.1 million in Minnesota in 2023, and he has two years remaining on his current deal. A team acquiring the former Seminole in a trade would be on the hook for an $11 million cap hit in 2023, $12 million in 2024 and $14.5 million in 2025.

Ain't no way, no how, Cook is worth that.

Raheem Mostert, Jeff Wilson, Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed are only on the books for $6.76 mill!!!

Only Grier would be dumb enough to make this trade IMO. He ignores the RB position in the draft and goes out and gets a RB who costs too much with a lot of carries under his belt. Brilliant, Grier!!

No wonder the Phins are perpetual underwhelmers. The people who are in charge are complete dinglefruits!!

I sincerely hope this is all a bunch of fooferaw but I am inclined to believe the Phins are pursuing it, and would probably already have made the deal if they had the cap space for it.

Rolling Eyes

pale

No

Not only that, but Grier passed up the likes of Devin Singletary and didn't bother making any offer for Tony Pollard, both of whom are at least as good or better than Cook IMO. Not to mention signing Cook would make re-signing the same four RBs from last season look stupid. Not to mention the apparently deep RB draft class. Not to mention all indications are that the Vikings will cut Cook if Grier just waits a couple of days/a week or so.

What should REALLY scare you is that, if past behavior is any evidence at all, it's likely that Grier is doing this because McDANIEL is demanding it!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Things could be worse, I was fully expecting to come here and see a post about how the deal had been done.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:28 pm

JMP wrote:Cook would get a new deal from whatever team acquires him - his current contract is meaningless.

If he's acquired by this team it would have to be significantly less than the current one. NFL players not named Tom Brady never EVER voluntarily agree to LESS money.

I actually think that's the only thing right now holding the deal up, and may completely torpedo it (hopefully).

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:17 am

Grier thinks a FA splash will carry us to the superbowl. There's about a 1% chance of that happening. The truth is spending money on big name FA weakens a team the majority of the time.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:17 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Not only that, but Grier passed up the likes of Devin Singletary and didn't bother making any offer for Tony Pollard, both of whom are at least as good or better than Cook IMO. Not to mention signing Cook would make re-signing the same four RBs from last season look stupid. Not to mention the apparently deep RB draft class. Not to mention all indications are that the Vikings will cut Cook if Grier just waits a couple of days/a week or so.

What should REALLY scare you is that, if past behavior is any evidence at all, it's likely that Grier is doing this because McDANIEL is demanding it!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Things could be worse, I was fully expecting to come here and see a post about how the deal had been done.

A few things...

First, Devin Singletary is not in Dalvin Cook's class. He doesn't have the speed, elusiveness or scoring potential of Cook. No team even wanted Singletary in free agency this year, and he had to settle for a minimal one year deal with the Texans.

Second, the Dolphins were never going to make an offer for Tony Pollard. They did not have the draft pick ammo to trade for a franchised player. And if the Dolphins did give up two firsts for Pollard, the majority of fans would be marching to Miami to physically remove Grier from Dolphins headquarters. I'd probably be at the head of that mob.

Third, we have no idea if the Dolphins actually want Cook. It's all just unsubstantiated rumor. I think it's a fun story to follow, but the reality is we have no idea if any of this is true.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:01 am

Another angle to this: the Bengals are supposedly asking Joe Mixon to take a pay cut, and if he refuses they may release him. I'm still not convinced the Phins are looking to add another RB, but Mixon vs. Cook becomes an interesting discussion.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum