The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bradley Chubb

+3
JEGnj
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Bradley Chubb Empty Bradley Chubb

Post by CarsonChris Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:05 pm

Vows to do more after doing nothing in Miami last season. Thanks Brad! 🤦‍�

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bradley Chubb Empty Re: Bradley Chubb

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:17 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Vows to do more after doing nothing in Miami last season. Thanks Brad! 🤦‍�

Considering who the DC was last season and who it is this season, I think it was more a case of scheme incompetence rather than Chubb being lazy.

Also I'll admit when I saw the thread title I got scared that Chubb had done something to injure himself for the season affraid

There's just something about the draft that makes me especially paranoid when it comes to this team, I have no idea why...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:09 am

Isn't Chubb basically our 1st round pick?
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:59 am

honestly, Chubb's best season was before Fangio even got there.

As a rookie in 2018, one year before Fangio was hired as the Broncos head coach, Chubb recorded a career-high 12 sacks. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2020 after a 7.5-sack season, his second with Fangio, but missed 24 games in those three seasons because of a torn ACL and ankle injury. He managed just one sack in 2019 and 2021, and Fangio was fired shortly after the 2021 season concluded.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article274660606.html

i'm hopeful that Chubb will have a better season, but more importantly stay healthy. however, none of this dampens my hope that Fangio will improve the defense overall - with or without a healthy Chubb. but this is also why i will not be surprised to see Miami take either a DE (not convinced Ogbah is the long term answer) or OLB (Chubb's injury history - he missed games for Miami last year too) at pick 51.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:15 am

Chubb is the last person on the roster that I'm worried about. The sack numbers on D increased pretty drastically after Chubb arrived. I think he had a big impact in helping others create plays. But in this new defense, I expect both he and Phillips to have monster seasons.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:25 pm

JMP wrote:Chubb is the last person on the roster that I'm worried about.  The sack numbers on D increased pretty drastically after Chubb arrived.  I think he had a big impact in helping others create plays.  But in this new defense, I expect both he and Phillips to have monster seasons.

Because I'm who I am, I decided to fact check this and...yup, it's absolutely true. The Fins had 15 sacks for the season after 8 games before Chubb showed up. In the last 9 games they had 25.

https://stathead.com/tiny/gm6B5

I'm no math whiz, but that's an increase of nearly a sack per game Cool

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:46 pm

I wouldn't sleep on Malik Reed, either. He produced in Denver benefitting from some of the attention diverted to Chubb.

Good starters and some good depth at pass rush, for once! Oh let's not forget: Ogbah coming back off injury as well, and he provides some good push also.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:53 pm

Absolutely, white. We have a good group of pass rushers now, and I think Fangio is gonna have some fun this season! I wouldn't be surprised to see another one added in the draft or free agency at some point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:03 pm

I think the key to the Fangio defense is the pre-snap and post-snap confusion the secondary creates for the QB using motion.

It all looks like a two high shell, then players will move into quarters, cover 6, cover 8 or man when the ball is snapped. That extra second or more of hesitation provides the time for a conventional pass rush to reach the quarterback.

Oh, and it's important to note: Lost in the coverage of the Fangio defense is the fact he still will utilize man coverage just over 50% of the time. But - BUT - he will also tailor coverages to the talent he has on the field, and the strengths of the opposing offense. I say this to highlight the fact that our corners will be scheme diverse. Ramsey is a good example and an excellent acquisition - he can play both man or zone effectively. Howard seems to be able to do both, as does Needham. Excited for younger players like Kohou and Trill Williams. Not to mention Holland who I think will be an absolute beast in this secondary.

Now, Fangio will blitz. But as he said in his press conference: When he wants to and when the element of surprise is in our favor. Conversely, Boyer blitzed because it was the only tool in his bag to generate pressure. No need to revisit the drawbacks of the Boyer defense, we all lived through it enough and complained about it ad nauseum.

I'm very excited to watch this unit on the field. Even the Flores version of the defense we've been running seemed gadget-ish. Looking forward to a sound, stout defense that will generate pressure and create turnovers.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:07 pm

Was going to edit but just a brief add to my earlier post. Another thing Ramsey does really well, and an absolute necessity in the Fangio defense, is coming up in effective run support on the edges. He's one of the best in the league in filling that role, too.

The only player I may be worried about (a bit) is X Howard. At his age, don't know how willing (or able) he can be to come up and take on blockers or the running back. Honestly though, I don't really recall that much about that aspect of his game. Kohou, I remember seeing him come up more than once and lay a good hit on the ball carrier or receiver.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:31 am

Nice posts, W1.

I agree. The main thing about Fangio's schemes, they are flexible. I have seen it called a 6-1 Tilt, or cover 8 or cover 6, but the main point is, he changes the calls to suit the offensive scheme, putting his defenders in the right spots. He can play what looks like a cover 2, but it is really a cover 6 with quarter-quarter-half coverages, or a different call is cover 8 with half-quarter-quarter coverages.

I think we are going to see more INTs from the defense in this scheme. They will be playing the ball more than trying too keep up with a receiver like in Boyer's scheme.

The Phins have set the D up nicely it seems. Let's just hope... (knocks on wood three times and spits over his left shoulder) their is not a rash of injuries at any one position again.

I have been looking at DT or DE with that 7th round pick. Karl Brooks will be gone long before then I feel. I have been picking DE Villami Fehoko from SD State, Dylan Horton from TCU, or Robert Beal from Ga. I don't expect Grier to go for an Edge Rusher, but they may bring someone in as an UDFA.

DTs - I like Jalen Redmond, Karl Brooks, Colby Wooden, and real late, Devonsha Maxwell from Chattanooga, Brodric Martin for West Tenn, and DJ Dale from Bama.

Of course, if Calijah Kancey is there at #51 and OG Torrence is not, then they should take Kancey IMO.

I suspect both Torrence and Kancey to be gone before the Phins #51 pick though.

Smile
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:30 pm

Great posts, white and FF! Great details on the Fangio defense. I agree that Ramsey is a key acquisition and will really help make this defense into what Fangio envisions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down