The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hobbies

5 posters

Go down

Hobbies  Empty Hobbies

Post by CarsonChris Mon May 01, 2023 11:26 am

Besides Dolphins football what are your favorite pastimes?

I started metal detecting 5 years ago. It's my preferred weekend hobby and it has broadened my knowledge of local history. The side benefit is occasionally finding something of value besides the few hundred dollars in change you end up with at the end of the year.

CarsonChris

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hobbies  Empty Re: Hobbies

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 01, 2023 7:41 pm

I don't have "hobbies" per se. I'd have a lot of interests though including MMA, RPGs, spirituality and giving Madden Youtubers advice on how to run their franchises Razz I watch Youtube much more than TV, and I don't even bother with movies anymore.

I also love being able to discuss lots of things, like the conversation with the GF yesterday morning that started with Hitler, how he hated communism, how communism and fascism are just the extremes of the left and right sides of the political spectrum and produce the same results, how evil always turns on evil when all the good people have been done away with, which led to me citing examples like the Iran-Iraq war, the Vietnam-Cambodia war, and Stalin purging all of Lenin's supporters when he took power then having HIS supporter purged when Kruschev took over, etc. and then somehow it veered into the Mongol Empire's failure to invade Japan because weather and how the word "kamikaze" original meaning was "divine wind" in relation to this and only turned into what we think it means today because of WWII.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue May 02, 2023 9:23 am

Sounds like the GF has a good mind if you can discuss politics with her. Anymore the women are zombies with the hive mind. There are some exceptions.

CarsonChris

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 15, 2023 10:47 am

My main hobbies are reading and listening to/collecting music.

I read mostly horror, fantasy and sci-fi books, and the occasional mystery. I have a big collection of books but mostly get books from the library these days. And yes, I still read actual books!

My music tastes are varied, but I mostly listen to and collect heavy metal and punk and all their related sub-genres, with death metal being my favorite genre over the past 20+ years. I do listen to lots of non-metal from the 60s to the present, including 80s "alternative" like The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Joy Division, etc. I have a huge collection of records, tapes and CDs and get music in the mail every week. I do use Bandcamp and Spotify as well, but I strongly prefer music in a physical format.

Other than that, I like to make hot sauce. I use my own simple recipes and methods, so nothing crazy. Last year I grew my own peppers for the first time (Carolina Reapers and Ghost Peppers), and bought a dehydrator to dry them out for storage.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu May 18, 2023 2:21 pm

I Play Golf & Over 50 Softball, Bunch of Old Guys having Fun. Love Listening to Music especially Oldies. 60's & 70's & 80's. History Buff with Watching Stuff on Civil War & Nazi Germany.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu May 18, 2023 6:27 pm

I play poker a lot, no WSOP rings or bracelets yet (have final tabled a ring event and finished as high as 4th).  Been blogging at The Horn Section for most of my writing since 2006, and along those lines a lot of classic TV/movies are always on my watch list.  

https://hornsection.blogspot.com/

Music runs the gamut from AC/DC and Motorhead to Johnny Paycheck to Clarence Gatemouth Brown.  I read a lot, likely have a lot of overlap with Dolfan's reading habits Smile  

And along with the Horn Section, I have a YouTube channel at which I mainly share hard to find classic TV:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Halchorn

Also do a lot of walking, about 25-30 miles a week.  Since we own a heeler and a 90 lb. lab/shepherd mix they have a lot of energy to work off.  Outside the Dolphins, I follow FAU football, since it is the House that Howard built. :-)

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 19, 2023 7:24 pm

HalCHorn wrote:And along with the Horn Section, I have a YouTube channel at which I mainly share hard to find classic TV:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Halchorn

I had no idea!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Will definitely check it out.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum