The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horrifying Scenario

4 posters

Go down

Horrifying Scenario  Empty Horrifying Scenario

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:54 pm

Imagine if you will the following: Not only do the Jets make the playoffs without Rodgers, but the Browns also get in with Watson--the very same Watson that the media was screaming for Grier to trade for since he was clearly better than Tua--while the Fins miss out. affraid affraid affraid

It's far more likely than any of us want to think, including me. If the season ended today for example, the entire AFC North would be in. Seriously.

If this happens--or if even ONE of the above teams gets in while the Fins are left out in the cold--then Grier would HAVE to go. There would be nobody else to blame, for one thing. Fire McDaniel after just 2 seasons and no coach worth a damn will touch this job with a proverbial 10-foot pole. I just don't see any way around it. And if it didn't happen then I'd finally snap and join FF's crusade to replace Ross, new woke owner be damned.

And yes, I know this would be the same old "fire one but not the other" approach that's repeatedly failed in the past but SOMETHING would have to be done. And we all know the scouting staff is untouchable for some reason Rolling Eyes

Seriously, if I became the owner tomorrow literally the first thing I'd do is fire the scouting staff responsible for O-line evaluation. I'd even bet at least some of those guys have been around since '95 when all this bad O-line business started.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Horrifying Scenario  Empty Re: Horrifying Scenario

Post by white1 Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:09 pm

Valid scenario DF. The Browns defense is just scary. Imagine if they still had Chubb at RB. The Jets defense appears to be the real deal also.

For me, the worse case is Ross losing patience. He might fire everyone which would be a huge mistake. I like the staff we’ve assembled - I think it’s just a matter of time they craft a really powerful team.

I knew defense could be solved virtually overnight and it looks to me like Fangio os demonstrating that here.

Yes the offense has problems - they also have real strengths and let’s not forget the record breaking 70 they hung on Denver - the same defense that beat the Chiefs a week ago.

There’s a lot to like here. Let’s not flush the whole thing due to prime time losses. Let them work and let’s see where it goes
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:51 pm

6-3, not 7-3... DOH! But still...

Just how many years ago was it when 6-3 would have had us all celebrating a "Return to the AFC East Penthouse!"

Now... Even with the record...

Still, I agree with W1 on the direction of the team. Sure Grier has made some dipshiite moves especially in the draft and free agency, but all teams do. How long ago was it where we Phans wondered if the Phins could beat a bad team?

Now, we are despondent because the team struggles with playoff caliber teams?

I think 11-6 or 12-5 this season would be a marvelous accomplishment. Dare we hope for a (one) playoff win? No? Maybe if the game is played in Miami?

These goals are in reach, but somehow, someway, McD and the coaching staff are going to have to solve the problem of the defenses figuring out how to derail the timing finesse offense. Without getting Tua out of the pocket.... I don't know how that can be accomplished?

The main point still remains: The Oline is just not strong and powerful enough to run the McD offense when the Dline (front seven) is playoff caliber.

This issue needs to addressed FULLY in the off season and if Grier goes out and signs another injury plagued goober, ignores the Oline in the draft....he should be beaten to near-death with a wiffle ball bat and run out of town on a prickly rail!!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:01 pm

finfanatic wrote:

The main point still remains: The Oline is just not strong and powerful enough to run the McD offense when the Dline (front seven) is playoff caliber.

This issue needs to  addressed FULLY in the off season and if Grier goes out and signs another injury plagued goober, ignores the Oline in the draft....he should be beaten to near-death with a wiffle ball bat and run out of town on a prickly rail!!!

Chances are, the OL will look very different next season simply because most of the starters are free agents and we won't be able to keep all of them.

But I do take issue with Grier "ignoring the OL". In free agency, he paid good money to Armstead and Williams, and also added Wynn. In the draft, he used a 1st round pick on Jackson, a 2nd round pick on Eichenberg, and a 2nd round pick on Robert Hunt. That is about as far from "ignoring" as you can get. Now, if you want to question his ability to build a top OL that stays injury-free - that's a valid point, and one that can be applied to every NFL GM, given the current weak state of offensive linemen in the league.

Regardless of all that, let's see what he does in the offseason when he will have to essentially rebuild the OL with starters and depth through both free agency and the draft.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:03 pm

Imagine if you will the following: Not only do the Jets make the playoffs without Rodgers, but the Browns also get in with Watson--the very same Watson that the media was screaming for Grier to trade for since he was clearly better than Tua--while the Fins miss out.

No thanks - you can play make-believe. I'll stay in the real world, where the Browns and especially Jets will not even sniff the playoffs, and the Dolphins get in.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:04 pm

white1 wrote:
For me, the worse case is Ross losing patience. He might fire everyone which would be a huge mistake. I like the staff we’ve assembled - I think it’s just a matter of time they craft a really powerful team.

No need to worry - there is zero chance that McDaniel gets fired after this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down