The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: DION JORDAN SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR! [Dion Jordan a no show at voluntary camp]

+7
mercury22nathan
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
DolFan 316
JEGnj
JMP
Birdmond
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

UPDATE: DION JORDAN SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR!   [Dion Jordan a no show at voluntary camp] - Page 3 Empty Re: UPDATE: DION JORDAN SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR! [Dion Jordan a no show at voluntary camp]

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 am

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/29/dion-jordans-suspension-costs-him-more-than-5-6-million/

PFT wrote:Most significantly, $3.35 million of previously-paid signing bonus will be forfeited, meaning Jordan will have to give back that portion of his $13.34 million signing bonus.

That’s a total of $5.61 million lost by Jordan due to his suspension.

Once the Dolphins collect the $3.35 million, they’ll get a salary-cap credit. And they’ll continue to hold Jordan’s rights, if/when he’s reinstated. Reinstatement will hinge on passing up to 10 drug tests per months.

well, at least the Phins will get some salary cap relief. while i am sure we'd all just like to cut the guy and move on - my understanding is that the Phins must keep him in the reserve- suspended list in order to collect the signing bonus back. cutting him outright would allow him to keep the full signing bonus as well as accelerate the cap hit.

all this has been going on since day one...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-jordan-suspended-hyde-0429-20150428-column.html?track=rss

Sun Sentinel wrote:Jordan was suspended for the 2015 season after violating the league's drug policy for the third time. He was a problem almost right from the start with the Dolphins, too.

Last winter, long before his first suspension, the franchise helped him into a drug-counseling center when its football leaders were informed Jordan had skipped a scheduled session in his native Arizona.

"His excuse was his sister was borrowing his car,'' they were told, according to a source.

umm, can i take a second to stand up and defend what has not been a very popular position? for all those (in the media and posters) who have been crushing Philbin for not developing Jordan, or moving him to LB and restructuring the defense in a 3-4 around him (Armando and Omar), let this be lessen to you. things were happening from the very beginning about which you had no idea - so maybe perhaps remember that the next time you take the simple approach that a coach is too stupid to realize the talent in front of him. we now know there were reasons why Philbin wasn't playing Jordan more than he was. and to all those supposed "reporters" employed by the Herald, Sun Sentinel, and Post - and little investigative work (instead of spending all your time making up quirky blog headlines) and this entire story was right in front of your faces. what a bunch of hacks.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: DION JORDAN SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR!   [Dion Jordan a no show at voluntary camp] - Page 3 Empty Re: UPDATE: DION JORDAN SUSPENDED FOR ONE YEAR! [Dion Jordan a no show at voluntary camp]

Post by white1 Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:32 am

Great point Merc!

I can admit, I was one of those calling for a more creative use for Jordan. I know I openly called for him moving to SLB.

Clearly, someone with this many problems needs to focus on one positions, and one only, and we chose DE - perhaps because it is a position with simpler responsibilities and a lot less to learn than the coverages a LB needs to be well versed in.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:50 am

mercury22nathan wrote:can i take a second to stand up and defend what has not been a very popular position? for all those (in the media and posters) who have been crushing Philbin for not developing Jordan, or moving him to LB and restructuring the defense in a 3-4 around him (Armando and Omar), let this be lessen to you. things were happening from the very beginning about which you had no idea - so maybe perhaps remember that the next time you take the simple approach that a coach is too stupid to realize the talent in front of him. we now know there were reasons why Philbin wasn't playing Jordan more than he was.

Well, I certainly understand your point and somewhat agree. BUT...Jordan did play 26 games for the Dolphins. That was 26 opportunities for the coaching staff to put him in the best possible position to make an impact, and they didn't do it. The coaches are the ones that asked him to gain weight last season to play DE. The coaches are the ones that lined him up at DE against some of the league's top left tackles.

So, yeah, Jordan is dumb as a stump and doesn't give a shit about his career, his teammates or Dolfans - and he's also not a very good player to begin with. But at the same time, the coaches did NOTHING to help him succeed on the field. Now, there was probably zero chance that he would ever succeed in the NFL, but again, the coaches are the ones that played him out of position and didn't use him properly. So in this case, I think the on-field problem goes both ways - Jordan AND the coaching staff.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

white1 wrote:Clearly, someone with this many problems needs to focus on one positions, and one only, and we chose DE - perhaps because it is a position with simpler responsibilities and a lot less to learn than the coverages a LB needs to be well versed in.

Actually, I think if anything the Dolphins gave Jordan too much responsibility. Jordan was asked to be a 'traditional' DE, a drop-back DE, a coverage LB, even a DT on a few snaps...and he was used regularly on several special teams units. I think the staff just wanted to get something out of him, so they placed him in a bunch of different roles.

Looking back, it would have been a smarter move to make Jordan an OLB from day 1...keep him there and use him on specials. Give him one position and work on that. But trying to teach this guy 4+ different defensive positions (plus STs) was an epic fail. Jordan simply does not have the football IQ or work ethic.

Regardless, the guy can't stay clean anyway, so it's all just a waste of time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:04 am

but i think the bigger issue was that the coaches knew that he wasn't someone who could be relied upon and to put him in any kind of position upon which the Phins needed to rely on him would have been disastrous - so they wisely minimized his role behind guys they could rely upon. the truth of the matter is, the guy probably should've been focused on defeating his drug demons and not worried about focusing on any football position.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:23 am

mercury22nathan wrote:but i think the bigger issue was that the coaches knew that he wasn't someone who could be relied upon and to put him in any kind of position upon which the Phins needed to rely on him would have been disastrous - so they wisely minimized his role behind guys they could rely upon.  the truth of the matter is, the guy probably should've been focused on defeating his drug demons and not worried about focusing on any football position.

Well, that's kind of my point...if the coaches didn't trust him, why did they play him as much as they did? They used him in some pretty important roles...covering Calvin Johnson and Rob Gronkowski, rushing the passer from the DE position, key positions on special teams. That would seem to indicate to me that the staff at least had some level of faith/trust in Jordan. He was buried on the depth chart, but they continued to use him. Jordan played on 21% of the defensive snaps last season, and 41% on special teams...pretty significant numbers, if the coaches didn't trust him. .

And while I agree that Jordan should have taken time off to take care of his drug problem, it's pretty clear that he doesn't give a damn. Maybe he will now that he's lost millions of dollars, but I doubt it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 am

Why couldn't this have been Dallas Thomas instead?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:39 am

Degarmo wrote:Why couldn't this have been Dallas Thomas instead?

cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:56 am

Degarmo wrote:Why couldn't this have been Dallas Thomas instead?

Thomas realize that he is horrible and doesn't need anymore baggage to shorten is stay in Miami.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:33 pm

rightchea wrote:Thomas realize that he is horrible and doesn't need anymore baggage to shorten is stay in Miami.

Yeah, really! Thomas should be on his best behavior in Miami, because there's no way any other team would give him an opportunity to start!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3