The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is the offense flawed or is it Tannehill - maybe both

+6
JEGnj
Degarmo
finfanatic
white1
JMP
mercury22nathan
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

is the offense flawed or is it Tannehill - maybe both - Page 2 Empty Re: is the offense flawed or is it Tannehill - maybe both

Post by white1 Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:44 am

Good thread and I would agree with what many are saying. I will put a finer point on it though.

No, I don't believe Lazor is an all and out idiot. The NFL is too competitive for him to rise through the ranks as he has. The problem, like with most on our staff, is he's raw and inexperienced.

These are not easy problems to solve. Otherwise, any asshole could roll up and coach the hell out of a team. We know that's not true. When you have someone like Lazor, responsible for the first time in creating and implementing his own scheme, many times he's seeing problems happen for the first time. A veteran coordinator can draw on years of experience to know what will likely work best to mitigate problems on the offense.

We don't have that

Even under Philbin, who can Lazor turn to for advice? We have next to no one on staff with real experience as a coordinator with playcalling authority. Thank God we have Al Saunders, because at least he's a veteran voice and we saw some immediate results when he was added to the staff.

Overall though, we just aren't goddamn good enough on the coaching staff to compete with the better teams in the league. It's not gonna get solved by any kind of audible choice, Tannehill-autonomy, easy, quick fix.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

is the offense flawed or is it Tannehill - maybe both - Page 2 Empty Re: is the offense flawed or is it Tannehill - maybe both

Post by white1 Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 am

Adding a few further thoughts on Lazor.  It's possible too that with his personality, creative ability and understanding of the offense he's trying to field - that he will NEVER be a good OC.  Again, this is his first chance.

So while I said above, he's not so much an idiot but raw and inexperienced, we don't know if he'll ever be a good OC.  This may be his best and last chance to do the job.

Regarding Tanny vs Lazor who is at fault? Too many variables IMO and we surely will never "know" even if there is a valid answer to that question.  Overall, the way the NFL works, the responsibility falls on the OC to field an effective, winning offense.  Lazor has not done that.  That's my take: The fault is on Lazor.

This theory is further bolstered by the fact that the beat writers have pointed out ad nauseum that our running statistics are very good, so why are we not running the ball more? Again - Lazor is calling these plays and working with the offense on what he wants to do. If he recognized the running game as a strength it would be more prevalent in game planning, it would be emphasized throughout the week, and we would expand the running plays to keep teams off balance on what kinds of running plays get called. Again, clearly not happening.

Tannehill? We've talked at length about him.  I don't know if he's peaked yet or not, but with his contract he'll start in 2016 so we have another season to see that play out.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I heard that the front orifice--I mean office is insistent that Tannehill is a franchise QB, and the coaches have the complete opposite opinion. Any person that can look at him and think "Yeah, franchise QB fo sho!" is clearly unqualified to judge anyone in any capacity, let alone be in charge of an NFL team's personnel acquisition.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article46974905.html

This part genuinely horrifies me.

The Dolphins would pick Tannehill for the long-term over Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Tony Romo, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, Teddy Brigdewater and Blake Bortles.

I know this because I was walked through the exercise by the team Friday. And when I balked at names such as Bortles and Newton, the Dolphins pushed back strongly, giving reasons Tannehill would be their preference long term.

pale pale pale

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:05 pm

kick "F" rocks. I waiting for a real coach to come in and make a real decision about Tannehill not these idiots that is running the show. Campbell needs not to be a HC at this point and Miami needs to find someone that can grade what Miami really looks like.

I really waiting on Brad Kaaya to be drafted by the Fins and get the QB position something Miami really needs

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:09 pm

I have no idea who Brad Kaaya is, except that judging by the context he's a college QB Neutral

I did like that Armando mentioned Lynch, and that somehow even THIS front office is smart enough to at least have him on the radar, but even if he did fall into their laps they'd probably just draft an injury-prone long snapper or something.

I don't believe any team has ever fired two head coaches in one season but if anyone would be the first, it's the Fins Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:54 pm

A front office that believes Tannehill is better than Carr and Bridgewater long-term is bad enough, but better than Cam Newton, who is 11-0 with Greg Olsen as his best position player????

Jeez.

I do not even know how to respond to that. These guys make Jerry Jones look like Jimmy Johnson and Ron Wolf combined and squared in the draft room.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 am

I see the stats Paxton Lynch is putting up and that intrigues me. I watched the highlights of his 7td performance this weekend. His receivers made those td. I know he got the ball there but those receivers were all about the YAC.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:04 am

CarsonChris wrote:I see the stats Paxton Lynch is putting up and that intrigues me. I watched the highlights of his 7td performance this weekend. His receivers made those td. I know he got the ball there but those receivers were all about the YAC.

I know the Fins won't get him, but I'm just thrilled that a Memphis player is getting this much national love Very Happy cheers

And now there's even an excuse for the previous three losses--the coach was mailing it in because his mind was already on his new job. So that shouldn't hurt Lynch much.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:36 pm

HalCHorn wrote:A front office that believes Tannehill is better than Carr and Bridgewater long-term is bad enough, but better than Cam Newton, who is 11-0 with Greg Olsen as his best position player????

Jeez.  

I do not even know how to respond to that.  These guys make Jerry Jones look like Jimmy Johnson and Ron Wolf combined and squared in the draft room.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

We are fairly locked in to Tannehill for at least one more season. But it would be NICE to see a HC come in and kick the "don't-give-a-shytes" out fo Tannehill.

I want to see him get up after a sack where one of the O Line has just been beaten like a drum, and curse them out and talk bad about they Momma!!!!

Have a little FIRE on the field!!

Wolf Johnson?

Johnson Wolf?

Laughing

W1 - Excellent points on Lazor. But as I pointed out earlier, just how many OCs are we going to go thru before someone starts realizing, MAYBE the OC and the playcalling is not the ENTIRE REASON the Offense is retrograde?

Burial ground curse? The old Indian burial ground under the stadium? Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:46 pm

HalCHorn wrote:A front office that believes Tannehill is better than Carr and Bridgewater long-term is bad enough, but better than Cam Newton, who is 11-0 with Greg Olsen as his best position player????

Jeez.  

I do not even know how to respond to that.  These guys make Jerry Jones look like Jimmy Johnson and Ron Wolf combined and squared in the draft room.

Yeah, reading this makes me realize just how clueless this organization is...even worse than I thought, and that's scary! Cam Newton is in all likelihood on his way to an NFL MVP award and possibly a 16-0 season...but somehow Ryan Tannehill is better??? On what planet??? The only things Tannehill has proven to be consistently good at are losing to division opponents in embarrassing fashion, and getting coaches fired.

Newton is performing miracles with virtually no one around him (other than Olsen, as you said Hal). Yet every year the Dolphins spend money and draft picks to surround Tannehill with talent, and he never gets any better...hell, he can't even get above .500! This Dolphins offense was completely rebuilt this offseason for the sole purpose of making Tannehill better - and he's 4-7.

It's frightening how single-minded this Miami organization is. From top to bottom, there's not one person with the ability to recognize issues and adapt accordingly. They just do their thing, and never deviate from it no matter how much failure they achieve. It starts with Ross, but trickles down to Tannenbaum, Hickey and the coaching staff. The stubborn refusal to make key changes and just stick with the status quo is maddening. And when they do make changes, it's always too late and just piecemeal...like putting a band-aid on shotgun wound.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:14 pm

JMP wrote:The stubborn refusal to make key changes and just stick with the status quo is maddening.  And when they do make changes, it's always too late and just piecemeal...like putting a band-aid on shotgun wound.

You mean, like firing Philbin and Coyle within days of each other but letting Lazor hang around for another 2 months to ruin the season?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Love watching him get sacked or throw a pick then stand on the sideline with the awe shucks smile.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:47 pm

JEGnj wrote:Love watching him get sacked or throw a pick then stand on the sideline with the awe shucks smile.

I know, the guy just has no fire whatsoever. He really does seem to have a loser's mentality. He doesn't need to act like a maniac, but it would be nice to know that he gives a damn. He's not a leader at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 pm

JMP wrote:I know, the guy just has no fire whatsoever.  He really does seem to have a loser's mentality.  He doesn't need to act like a maniac, but it would be nice to know that he gives a damn.  He's not a leader at all.

I don't know if I would use the word "loser", at least in that context. It's more like Tannehill knows there are more important things in life than football and is only doing this NFL QB thing because it pays more than anything else he could be doing at the moment.

I'm not necessarily looking for "fire", because people who constantly feel like they have to yell and scream and holler to show they "care" are actually as counterproductive as anybody. All I ask for is that someone puts all their attention into doing their job well. And if people choose not to do that for various reasons, then they should get a new job that they will devote their full efforts to. Far too many people these days only in a profession for the paycheck with near-complete disregard for how well they actually perform or how that affects others.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:24 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Far too many people these days only in a profession for the paycheck with near-complete disregard for how well they actually perform or how that affects others.

I think that sums up Tannehill perfectly.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:15 pm

DolFan 316 wrote: I don't know if I would use the word "loser", at least in that context. It's more like Tannehill knows there are more important things in life than football and is only doing this NFL QB thing because it pays more than anything else he could be doing at the moment.

Exactimundo!!!

Tannehill plays football, but he is not a football player!

I got a "queasy" feeling when I watched him on Hard Knocks ask Matt Moore if the Redskins (I think it was the Redskins, but I remember it was an NFC Team) were in the same division as the Phins???

This is a guy who used football to get a college education, and now is using football to make a lot of money, but it does not look as if football is a priority for him IMHO.

Tannehill has the same demeanor as Clueless Joe Philbin....placid....milquetoast-ey...aw-shucks as someone above said.

I do not think an NFL team can succeed with a QB who is JUST OUT THERE and does not seem to care about winning or losing. That is a trait that will DESTROY a team IMO.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2