The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Positions of need

4 posters

Go down

Positions of need Empty Positions of need

Post by CarsonChris Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:26 am

Day 2, due to Grier's failed body of work we need both a center and a guard. Tackle is as precarious as the other two positions on the line.

Year 6 of Grier's rebuild. Will he get year 7?

CarsonChris

JMP, DolFan 316 and finskev like this post

Back to top Go down

Positions of need Empty Re: Positions of need

Post by JMP Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:08 am

The thing is, we don't "need" a center and a guard. We have starters at all 3 of those positions. It would be great to add real depth and maybe even upgrade one of the starting guard positions (particularly RG) if possible, but I wouldn't call these big needs necessarily. We can argue about how good the current players we have are, but the fact is, it's going to be difficult for a rookie to step in and win a starting job out of camp on this line. RG seems to be the biggest question mark, and a true backup center would be nice. But we don't need to reach for either if the right player isn't available at 55.

Grier has set up this roster so that we don't really have big needs anywhere. Edge rusher was the biggest need, and we drafted Robinson yesterday. What this means is that at pick 55, every single position is on the table and we don't have to reach for anyone.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 am

I suspect Grier goes for a CB in the 2nd!!

Might as well keep doing it until he gets it right, right??

Laughing

That was a joke and if it turns out to be true, I apologize to my Phellow Phin Phans!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm

JMP wrote:The thing is, we don't "need" a center and a guard.  We have starters at all 3 of those positions.  It would be great to add real depth and maybe even upgrade one of the starting guard positions (particularly RG) if possible, but I wouldn't call these big needs necessarily.  We can argue about how good the current players we have are, but the fact is, it's going to be difficult for a rookie to step in and win a starting job out of camp on this line.  RG seems to be the biggest question mark, and a true backup center would be nice.  But we don't need to reach for either if the right player isn't available at 55.

Nah, the spot vacated by Hunt is still a big need. It's the same situation everybody *thinks* DT is, only at guard there's nowhere near the depth. They brought in Jack Driscoll and THAT'S supposed to make me think interior O-line is set? As the cool kids say, yeah no. But if Grier goes guard at 55 I'll know that he knows this and it was the plan all along. And if his plan was my plan from the beginning, how bad could it be? Cool Ultimately the order didn't matter as much as addressing edge and interior O-line. After that, at least one safety and the rest is gravy.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:26 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Day 2, due to Grier's failed body of work we need both a center and a guard. Tackle is as precarious as the other two positions on the line.

Year 6 of Grier's rebuild. Will he get year 7?

I will say that Grier is the only GM hired in 2016 without a playoff win. Read that somewhere online in the wee hours.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:The thing is, we don't "need" a center and a guard.  We have starters at all 3 of those positions.  It would be great to add real depth and maybe even upgrade one of the starting guard positions (particularly RG) if possible, but I wouldn't call these big needs necessarily.  We can argue about how good the current players we have are, but the fact is, it's going to be difficult for a rookie to step in and win a starting job out of camp on this line.  RG seems to be the biggest question mark, and a true backup center would be nice.  But we don't need to reach for either if the right player isn't available at 55.

Nah, the spot vacated by Hunt is still a big need. It's the same situation everybody *thinks* DT is, only at guard there's nowhere near the depth. They brought in Jack Driscoll and THAT'S supposed to make me think interior O-line is set? As the cool kids say, yeah no. But if Grier goes guard at 55 I'll know that he knows this and it was the plan all along. And if his plan was my plan from the beginning, how bad could it be?  Cool Ultimately the order didn't matter as much as addressing edge and interior O-line. After that, at least one safety and the rest is gravy.

Yep, RG is a question mark. But it's not completely barren...we do have Jones and Driscoll, both vets with some starting experience, and of course Eich as a last resort (yuck). So when I say it's not a big need, what I'm saying is we have starting-caliber players there. Yes, it would probably be easy to upgrade - but I don't feel like it is a "have to draft" position. If the draft plays out where we can get Beebe at 55, I'm on board - but I don't think it's time to panic if we don't take a guard at 55.

All I know is, if we do draft a guard he better be good enough to start from day 1 - because we already have plenty of depth-quality guards and don't need another one. If we add a guard, it has to be a starter otherwise it's a wasted pick.

Now, what I do want with the OL is a real backup center. I think that can be addressed later in the draft or even after the draft with a guy that can play all interior positions and replace Eich once and for all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 pm

JMP wrote:Now, what I do want with the OL is a real backup center.  I think that can be addressed later in the draft or even after the draft with a guy that can play all interior positions and replace Eich once and for all.

I've had my eye on Tanner Bortolini or Hunter Nourzad for a while and both should be there at 158. But let's not forget about safety...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:23 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Now, what I do want with the OL is a real backup center.  I think that can be addressed later in the draft or even after the draft with a guy that can play all interior positions and replace Eich once and for all.

I've had my eye on Tanner Bortolini or Hunter Nourzad for a while and both should be there at 158. But let's not forget about safety...

Definitely! I think it was FF who first turned me on to Bortolini, and I like both him and Nourzad a lot.

I think there's a good chance safety is in play at 55. Supposedly the Phins spent a lot of time with Bullard - I think he'd be a good fit.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum