The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign WR Odell Beckham

+4
finfanatic
finskev
JEGnj
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phins sign WR Odell Beckham Empty Phins sign WR Odell Beckham

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 11:36 am

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

For the #Dolphins and WR Odell Beckham Jr, it’s a 1-year deal worth up to $8.25M, sources say. He took less than was offered elsewhere, but wanted the fit.

11:23 AM · May 3, 2024

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ

Confirmed via source, the Dolphins have agreed to terms with WR Odell Beckham, Jr.

It's a 1-year, $3M deal with incentives that can push it up to $8.25M

11:31 AM · May 3, 2024

Last edited by JMP on Fri May 03, 2024 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign WR Odell Beckham Empty Re: Phins sign WR Odell Beckham

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 11:49 am

Wow, I thought this deal might be off the table after drafting 2 WRs. Very interesting. But I like it. I do love the upside of the rookies, but who knows how long it will take them to get up to speed. Beckham gives us a smart veteran receiver that knows how to get open and can line up all over the formation, and also adds high-end depth if Hill/Waddle get hurt again.

I assume this will be the WR group on the final roster:
Tyreek Hill
Jaylen Waddle
Odell Beckham
Malik Washington
Tahj Washington
River Cracraft
Braxton Berrios

Both Washingtons have kick return experience, but I don't think either one has returned punts. So Braxton stays as the punt returner, but I think he'll be phased out as a receiver as the season goes on.

It would be nice to add more size to this group, but I don't think Erik Ezukanma or Braylon Sanders have any shot of making the final roster.

JMP
Admin

finfanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 11:58 am

I'm picturing a 4-WR set with Hill and Beckham outside, and Waddle and Malik (or Jonnu) inside. Shocked That is going to be really difficult to defend! cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

finfanatic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm

In other news, WR Chase Claypool signed with the Bills! I'd love to get 316's take on that! Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 pm

WHY? Honestly seems like a foolish waste of money. He will under perform or get injured.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Fri May 03, 2024 12:37 pm

I'm all for Incentive Contracts, Usually Players Perform better when there is Money to be Made. Learned Last Year about how Important Depth is at that Position.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 2:14 pm

JEGnj wrote:WHY? Honestly seems like a foolish waste of money. He will under perform or get injured.

He's only getting a $3 million base salary - that's nothing for a veteran receiver of his caliber.

Lots of reasons to sign him. Third receiver was a big need for the Dolphins, and we filled it with a vet that averaged over 16 yards a catch last season. At the end of last season we played with Hill and Waddle both banged up...and the offense suffered. Now, we have a legit vet in case they miss time or get hurt again. Plus, this signing allows us to use Waddle more in the slot - where he is at his best. I also like the fit with the younger receivers - they don't have to be forced into action, and can learn from three great veterans. It also gives us flexibility for 4-WR sets.

Beckham hasn't been a locker room problem for years. I know that reputation follows him, but he was not an issue at all with the Rams or Ravens.

JMP
Admin

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 03, 2024 3:04 pm

One thing to add, which I may have implied but didn't actually say: having OBJ gives the Phins a chance to give Hill and Waddle a breather every now and then while still having a threat on the field that the opposing defense has to account for. OBJ isn't what he once was, but he gets open and gets separation - and we didn't have that late last season when Hill was hobbled and Waddle was out.

JMP
Admin

finskev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat May 04, 2024 8:03 am

At that price it was a good deal. But sort means Tahj ain't gonna make the team IMO. Unless he just absolutely beats Berrios hands down out of the spot.

And I would not rule out EZ yet either.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat May 04, 2024 9:29 am

finfanatic wrote:At that price it was a good deal. But sort means Tahj ain't gonna make the team IMO. Unless he just absolutely beats Berrios hands down out of the spot.

And I would not rule out EZ yet either.

I think Tahj will make the team as a core special teamer and kick returner. Berrios could be in trouble if we only keep 6 receivers IMO.

As for EZ, I don't see any chance for him. Practice squad at best, but most likely he's done IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun May 05, 2024 1:56 pm

EZ is anther Grier waste that needs to take a spot so he doesn't admit a mistake.

I was never a fan of OBJ as a Giant and still not. Prove me wrong and show he wasn't a waste of money.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 06, 2024 9:43 am

JEGnj wrote:EZ is anther Grier waste that needs to take a spot so he doesn't admit a mistake.

I was never a fan of OBJ as a Giant and still not.  Prove me wrong and show he wasn't a waste of money.

I don't think Grier has a problem admitting mistakes. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned EZ has no shot at making the team. I guess you never know what'll happen, but there's really nothing to make me think otherwise.

I'm not the biggest OBJ fan either, but since leaving the Giants he's been fine...other than his issues with Baker Mayfield, which weren't really a big deal in hindsight. The last two teams he played for won a Super Bowl (Rams) and made it to the AFC Championship Game (Ravens), and players/coaches on both teams loved him and he was not a distraction at all. And last season with the Ravens the had the highest yards per catch of his career. The injury history is a concern, but other than that I don't see any negatives to signing him. I consider him a BIG upgrade at the #3 receiver spot.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon May 06, 2024 10:25 am

It's a good price, and Beckham's presence means that both Washingtons will have to earn rookie playing time, which is fine with me.

EZ is a goner as I see it, he'd have to be super impressive in camp and we'd have to see injuries at the position at the same time. I don't see it at this point.

We absolutely have to address IOL after June 1st. Risner and Peat are the two best available IMO.

HalCHorn

JMP and 61finfan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 06, 2024 10:52 am

HalCHorn wrote:
We absolutely have to address IOL after June 1st.  Risner and Peat are the two best available IMO.

Yep. Also keep an eye on former Raider Greg Van Roten.  He's bounced around the league, but seems like a good fit for this offense and plays both guard and center.

I'm sure we'll also sign one of the many veteran free agent safeties.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 07, 2024 11:46 am

Peat signed with the Raiders.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed May 08, 2024 9:09 pm

Hoping that they've worked something out in principle with Risner, but fearing that they're going with what they have. Mighty thin margin for error there IMO.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 09, 2024 9:49 am

HalCHorn wrote:Hoping that they've worked something out in principle with Risner, but fearing that they're going with what they have.  Mighty thin margin for error there IMO.  

I'm actually OK if we stand pat at guard - as much as I would like to upgrade, I'm just not sure it's possible a this point. We have a lot of OL right now, and I'm not convinced that any street free agent can walk in and be an automatic upgrade.

Wynn at LG was really good last season before he got hurt, and at RG I'm OK with Driscoll or Jones starting (and both backing up LG). And then Eich backing up both guard spots (and center...ugh!) Hell, Eich showed some good moments at guard so he could even win the RG job.

Now, having said that: I will not be surprised at all if undrafted rookie Matthew Jones comes in and wins the job at RG, and also backs up at center. I think he can play.

My biggest concern is backup center. I think undrafted rookie Andrew Meyer can maybe be the future backup, but will almost certainly start out on the practice squad. Eich obviously is the clear-cut top backup at the moment, but if he fails to win a starting guard job and Jones shows out, there's a chance Eich gets traded IMO.

I don't know...the team may have other ideas, but I see RG as wide open at the moment, with all the other spots settled. Injuries are going to tell the story of the OL once again: if everyone stays relatively healthy, we'll be fine. We do have experienced backups everywhere, so that helps, but we can't be in a position where we have 4 or 5 OL injured at once (both starters and backups) as we did last season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu May 09, 2024 10:33 am

I guess Alama Uluave has just disappeared, haven't heard of him being signed anywhere since waived off the PS in December.

I did expect Matthew Jones to be a late pick in the draft, FWIW. If he can join Kohou, Needham, etc as a UDFA surprise it would be nice. I'm just not feeling the IOL returning vets outside of Wynn, and he can't stay healthy.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 09, 2024 10:46 am

HalCHorn wrote:I guess Alama Uluave has just disappeared, haven't heard of him being signed anywhere since waived off the PS in December.

I did expect Matthew Jones to be a late pick in the draft, FWIW.  If he can join Kohou, Needham, etc as a UDFA surprise it would be nice.  I'm just not feeling the IOL returning vets outside of Wynn, and he can't stay healthy.

Yeah, Uluave disappeared. I thought he showed some potential in preseason.

Definitely hoping for good things from Matthew Jones - it's a longshot, but the opportunity is there.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 am

I will go on record right now as saying if the Phins go into this season with the Oline they have right now, the Oline will again be the reason the Phins fail to beat the majority of playoff caliber teams they face!!

I watched the 70 point game versus the Broncos again, and even though it was a point-fest for the Phins, the warning signs were there in that game if you watch it while looking for the PROBLEMS the 2023 Dolphins team had.

ONE) Short yardage running - The Phins had a 3rd and 1. Direct snap to Ingold who lined up behind center for the snap.... Stuffed. 4th and 1. Handoff to Ingold over RG. Stuffed. The INABILITY to run when the other team KNOWS you are going to run points directly to the Oline's problems. Zone Blocking schemes are great and all, but you can get BOTH POWER and nimbleness from some Olinemen! Until the Phins start valuing BOTH qualities in IOL I think the Dolphins Oline is going to excel at the zone runs and play action stuff and misdirections, but when gritty, down in the dirt, power blocking is needed, the Phins Oline is going to get punched in the face by meaner, tougher opponents. Just like last year.

TWO - The pass defense was atrocious. Even while the Dline was getting good pressure, Russell was able to scramble and find some open receivers. The next time Kohou or Howard cover Sutton will be the FIRST TIME they managed to cover him. If not for two fortunate fumbles caused by Holland (both IIRC?) Sutton was having a great day. It's no wonder teams that could block the Phins pass rush FEASTED on the Fangio ZONE SCHEME.

THREE - The Phins gave up a 99 yard kickoff return TD to Mims. The whole Dolphins coverage scheme was out of sorts on the kickoff. And McD kept the goober in charge of the STs.  

These problems were already there BEFORE the rash of injuries which took away the stronger players on the Oline and the pass rush. The problems got even WORSE when the backups were asked to start or the Phins had to sign old street free agents to pass rush.

So unless the Phins have greatly improved their depth and quality of the pass rush (Hopefully I think they have!) and some of the unheralded DTs step up to replace Wilkins (ain't sure this is going to be as easy as many think!!) and some of the unknown Olinemen they have signed turn out to be MUCH BETTER than expected, I am not expecting much more than we saw last year. Sad to say.
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu May 09, 2024 11:57 am

finfanatic wrote:I will go on record right now as saying if the Phins go into this season with the Oline they have right now, the Oline will again be the reason the Phins fail to beat the majority of playoff caliber teams they face!!

unfortunately, i fear you are correct in this assessment.

mercury22nathan

JMP, DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 09, 2024 2:13 pm

finfanatic wrote:I will go on record right now as saying if the Phins go into this season with the Oline they have right now, the Oline will again be the reason the Phins fail to beat the majority of playoff caliber teams they face!!

I watched the 70 point game versus the Broncos again, and even though it was a point-fest for the Phins, the warning signs were there in that game if you watch it while looking for the PROBLEMS the 2023 Dolphins team had.

ONE) Short yardage running - The Phins had a 3rd and 1. Direct snap to Ingold who lined up behind center for the snap.... Stuffed. 4th and 1. Handoff to Ingold over RG. Stuffed. The INABILITY to run when the other team KNOWS you are going to run points directly to the Oline's problems. Zone Blocking schemes are great and all, but you can get BOTH POWER and nimbleness from some Olinemen! Until the Phins start valuing BOTH qualities in IOL I think the Dolphins Oline is going to excel at the zone runs and play action stuff and misdirections, but when gritty, down in the dirt, power blocking is needed, the Phins Oline is going to get punched in the face by meaner, tougher opponents. Just like last year.

TWO - The pass defense was atrocious. Even while the Dline was getting good pressure, Russell was able to scramble and find some open receivers. The next time Kohou or Howard cover Sutton will be the FIRST TIME they managed to cover him. If not for two fortunate fumbles caused by Holland (both IIRC?) Sutton was having a great day. It's no wonder teams that could block the Phins pass rush FEASTED on the Fangio ZONE SCHEME.

THREE - The Phins gave up a 99 yard kickoff return TD to Mims. The whole Dolphins coverage scheme was out of sorts on the kickoff. And McD kept the goober in charge of the STs.  

These problems were already there BEFORE the rash of injuries which took away the stronger players on the Oline and the pass rush. The problems got even WORSE when the backups were asked to start or the Phins had to sign old street free agents to pass rush.

So unless the Phins have greatly improved their depth and quality of the pass rush (Hopefully I think they have!) and some of the unheralded DTs step up to replace Wilkins (ain't sure this is going to be as easy as many think!!) and some of the unknown Olinemen they have signed turn out to be MUCH BETTER than expected, I am not expecting much more than we saw last year. Sad to say.

You make some good points, but at the same time, the Dolphins fielded a top 2 offense last year with this OL that we all hate. Clearly things were not good at season's end, when we had backups to backups starting on the OL, and our two top receivers out and/or playing hurt. But when everyone was healthy, we were on pace for the best offensive season EVER in NFL history.

I find reason for optimism now that everyone is healthy, and we added a new center that excels in run blocking and a versatile veteran from a great OL (Driscoll) that can either earn a starting job or provide strong depth all along the line. Plus, younger players like Jones and Eich have another year under their belts, and we added a couple of intriguing undrafted FAs and a future starting LT. Most importantly, we have the same offensive system and the same OL coach - the first time in I don't know how many years we've had both in consecutive seasons. Injuries could be a problem - or maybe they won't. But you can say the same thing on any team.

The new skill position players will also help with the OL - players like OBJ, Thomas, Wright and even the rookie Washingtons can all block and all are able to get open quickly - which helps take the pressure off pass pro.

And again, in regards to the OL, I'm not sure there's a veteran out there that can walk in and clearly upgrade a starting position. I'd like to add Van Roten if possible, because he can play all 3 interior positions, but how much does he actually move the needle over what we already have?

As far as defense, the secondary and LB corps have been pretty significantly improved IMO, and we now have three pass rushers added to the stable (one vet and two rookies) as well as a versatile group of DL to fill out the new-look DL rotation.

And on STs, we added two stud veterans (Brown and Neal) that should make a big difference.

I'm feeling really good about this roster. I know that's not a popular opinion 'round these parts, but I like the way things are setting up so far.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu May 09, 2024 9:20 pm

Needham is being moved to Safety , Which is Best for Him and the Team, Chance to be the 3rd Safety.

finskev

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 13, 2024 6:24 am

Okay fine, I'm back.

I stand with JEGnj in his opposition of the OLDell Beckham signing (not a typo) and with those who are rightfully worried about the interior O-line that Grier just never seems to feel like addressing unless career-ending injuries force him to.

Also, the OLDell signing is in direct contradiction to the "build for the future" approach a lot of DolFans are insisting Grier has now. This is NOT a build for the future move in any way, shape or form. It also doesn't make sense at a time when rookie WRs are thriving right away more than ever to the point where a 5th round pick just last season set the all-time rookie WR record for receiving yardage. And if you arrange the following link by date you'll see that nearly half of the 28 rookie thousand yard seasons by a WR have come since 2013, and a quarter of them have occurred since 2019.

https://stathead.com/tiny/ExHYW

My point is, Malik Washington could've just as easily filled the #3 WR role, leaving more money to spend on/trade for interior O-line. The OLDell signing completely defeats the purpose of drafting any WRs at all, and leaves me wondering why another safety couldn't have been drafted instead. scratch

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 am

Welcome back, 316!

The Odell move is clearly a signing for this season. I do think he will have have a positive effect on the young players, which will help them in the future, but Odell is here to help us win NOW. While I agree the two rookies can and will have an impact on the offense, neither one of them has the savvy and reputation that Odell has. Odell runs great routes and is a master at getting open, and he has outstanding hands. We might be able to say the same things about the Washingtons at some point - but they simply will not command the defensive attention that Odell does. Odell solves the #3 receiver issue - which ended up being a huge issue last season - and provides the youngsters with time to grow.

As for the money Odell is being paid, it doesn't prevent us from doing anything - we'll have $18.5 million in cap space on June 2.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next