The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Addressing the OG problem

4 posters

Go down

Addressing the OG problem Empty Addressing the OG problem

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:22 am

The Dolphins’ front office labeled guards as their No. 1 need this off-season. Maybe guards, plural. This is traditionally an inexpensive finds in the NFL, because it’s traditionally a non-impact position.

Of the 10 starting guards in the AFC East last year, nine were third-round picks or below (the 10th was the Jets’ free-agent signee James Carpenter). In the Super Bowl, Carolina will start Andrew Norwell, who was signed out of Canada in 2014 and made $600,000 this year, and Trai Turner, a third-round pick in 2014.

But there are exceptions, as Denver shows this Super Bowl. It starts Evan Mathis, a relatively inexpensive signing at one-year, $3.25 million (the Dolphins passed on him), and heftier free-agent signee Louis Vasquez with a four-year, $23-million deal with a $5 million signing bonus.

The only way to draft a guard with the eighth overall pick is if he’s slotted to be a tackle in the future. That could happen with Branden Albert’s injury history. But considering the big needs at cornerback and possibly defensive end, and the way the draft is stacking up to provide those, it’s a better bet the Dolphins hit the free-agent market for a guard.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/sfl-hyde5-solving-dolphins-off-season-step-2-decisions-at-guard-s-20160204-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DaveHyde-blog+%28Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs%29

while spending big FA money on OG is one to go (not the way i would recommend), its also clear that solid teams are able to find starting quality in the middle rounds. of course this assumes the team can identify talent. while it is certainly a huge need that must be addressed, do you agree with the Phins' front office that OG is their No. 1 need?

and what remains to be seen...

The unanswered issue is what kind of guard new coach Adam Gase wants. Remember, Tony Sparano wanted big and strong while Joe Philbin wanted smaller and athletic. That’s part of the cost of any regime change. The bottom line is talent, though.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Addressing the OG problem Empty Re: Addressing the OG problem

Post by JMP Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:25 pm

OG shouldn't be the biggest need, because IMO it's a position that 31 other teams in the NFL have no trouble filling.  I can't figure out why the Dolphins are attracted to crap guards like moths to a flame, but it really shouldn't be difficult to get a quality guard later in the draft. 

What I hope is that the new GM and coaching staff focus on finding offensive linemen that PLAY FOOTBALL...instead of trying to find the fastest, most athletic (soft) linemen.  Can the guy consistently win one-on-one matchups with the D-lineman he's up against?   That's what I want to know...I don't give a damn what the metrics say, I just want to know if the guy can play.  Guys like Thomas and Douglas are certainly athletic...no one will argue that - but they both SUCK as football players.  That should be obvious to anyone that sees them play, regardless of how they look in a damn 3-cone drill or whatever.  No more soft, weak linemen - period.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm

How sad is it that I already read the guards article earlier today? Crying or Very sad Laughing

Hiring the head of this scouting department to be the GM is like giving your teen son the keys to your brand new Lamborghini and telling him to have fun this weekend without worrying about a curfew. It's like getting a fox to guard a henhouse. Or hiring that known sex offender down the street to babysit your kids.

In other words, absolutely nothing good can come of it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am

I agree with the premise that guard IS a need for us - because our current starters suck.

As far as resources to address the need, yeah I want to see either journeymen brought in and/or lower round draft picks. As in 5th round or later.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down