The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins looking to trade for RB

+5
Degarmo
white1
rightchea
scotgif
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Phins looking to trade for RB - Page 2 Empty Re: Phins looking to trade for RB

Post by Degarmo Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Pouncey's lack of essential strength will be the reason he will stay on the IR for years to come. We should consider getting rid of him if we can.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Degarmo wrote:Pouncey's lack of essential strength will be the reason he will stay on the IR for years to come. We should consider getting rid of him if we can.

He's one of my least favorite Miami Dolphins ever and sadly, that's saying something.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:46 pm

Degarmo wrote:These idiots think they're just a piece or two away.

With a weak trench, our team will not win more than 8 games.

Honestly it's a league wide epidemic. It's rare you see a team admit it's a rebuilding year. The 49ers think they're winning this year.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Birdmond wrote:
Saw a picture of Pouncey from this weeks Dolphin golf tournament.  Let's just say that lazy mofo has been skipping leg day for years.  If he spent half as much time in the weight room as he does in the tattoo parlor he'd actually earn his pay.

It's cool that Gase and his staff are pushing weight training for the players, but really that's something that you need to be self-motivated to keep up with and get the most out of.  You're either a gym rat, or you're not.

I'm not a bodybuilder by any means, but one of my pet peeves is when I see all these players that have huge upper bodies and small legs.  Especially for an offensive lineman, legs should be a huge focus in the weight room.  That's where your power comes from and it enables you to anchor and maximize leverage, and having strong legs also helps alleviate pressure from carrying/supporting all that weight from the upper body.   Pouncey is a great example...look at the lack of muscle in his legs in the photo below (from August 2015), especially the calves.  That's embarrassing.

Phins looking to trade for RB - Page 2 1050x591

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:19 pm

I'll never forget the tantrum I threw when Pouncey was drafted. Not one of my finer moments.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:42 pm

A formal weight training program has to include player specific goals and metrics tailored by skill position.

The team can use that data any way it wants, for example finding out who is working hard and who isn't

For example, pouncey can't be squatting the weight he should be - clear metric he's not taking leg work seriously. Gase can push him on that alone, and ultimately can be a component in future roster evaluations
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:38 pm

white1 wrote:Yeah, way to be a leader and earn that big salary, Pouncey.  I mean come on man.  Why is it that even when we do manage to draft someone with pro-bowl caliber talent, they turn into a lazy bum or bitch all the time? What happened to the guys like Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Brock Marion. Surtain, Madison?  Unreal.

It's a generation thing. These "millennials" expect everything to be handed to them because everything HAS been for literally their entire lives.

Us GENXers on the other hand were constantly put down by the very same adults who then proceeded to turn right around and spoil the millennials rotten. Gave some of us quite the edge.

Yes, I'm still bitter Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:40 pm

Birdmond wrote:

Honestly it's a league wide epidemic.  It's rare you see a team admit it's a rebuilding year.   The 49ers think they're winning this year.  

I've never understood why teams think it's so verboten. As if fans are so stupid they won't realize it. As if they'll somehow lose MORE fans by admitting it than by pretending otherwise and then sucking. It really does blow my mind.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'll never forget the tantrum I threw when Pouncey was drafted.  Not one of my finer moments.  

Now you've got me wishing fervently that I could remember it Razz

Seriously, I don't remember you saying anything one way or the other. WTF was I doing that day?!?! Shocked

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:27 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Birdmond wrote:I'll never forget the tantrum I threw when Pouncey was drafted.  Not one of my finer moments.  

Now you've got me wishing fervently that I could remember it Razz

Seriously, I don't remember you saying anything one way or the other. WTF was I doing that day?!?! Shocked

I almost got banned from whichever site we were posting because of the Florida Alum mods loving the pick.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Birdmond wrote:

Honestly it's a league wide epidemic.  It's rare you see a team admit it's a rebuilding year.   The 49ers think they're winning this year.  

You're absolutely right there, and in my opinion it's because we're in this say-it-out-loud-and-many-idiots-will-believe-it's-true phase in America.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 pm

Pouncey's obviously not taking legs seriously. Eh, I don't think he takes much of anything in football seriously to be honest. He doesn't strike me as much of a leader, or even that great of a player. I've never understood why he's gotten so much cred.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:04 am

white1 wrote:Totally agree on Pouncey.  

Wasn't it last year we heard a report through the locker room that Albert challenged him for not being strong enough, in other words not spending enough time in the weight room? And he agreed with the assessment after getting called out?

Yeah, way to be a leader and earn that big salary, Pouncey.  I mean come on man.  Why is it that even when we do manage to draft someone with pro-bowl caliber talent, they turn into a lazy bum or bitch all the time? What happened to the guys like Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Brock Marion. Surtain, Madison?  Unreal.

I heard Charlie Casserly on the NFL Channel awhile back talking about teams that lack Depth. If you have some good players starting, but the backups STINK, the starters KNOW they do not have to give 100% because the coach may threaten, but there is no way he CAN replace you with the scrubsuckers he has for backups.

I mean, the Coach would LOVE to send a lesson by sitting you for a game, but that assumes the 2nd teamer behind you is not a total loser who could not even make it in the Arena League!! (Remember Tony "SpongeBoob" Sparano doing this with the Oline PERPETUALLY, which destroyed the team's offense IMHO.)

And THAT is EXACTLY the problem the Phins have IMO. The FEW players they have that ARE legitimate NFL STARTING caliber players, are not being PUSHED by anything resembling NFL STARTING CALIBER Talent behind them. The starters KNOW the coaching staff have no choice but to play them, whether they hit the weights like they should or whether they give lackluster efforts on the field, or even if they PRETEND to give a shyte!

So talent acquisition, free agency and the draft, YET AGAIN...has shown itself to be the BANE OF THE MIAMI DOLPHINS!

I can guarantee, if Mike Pouncey had some young hotshot Center behind him, who was MUCH CHEAPER, and was pushing to take his spot, you would see the old Mike Pouncey. The one who played with fire and determination, who pulled like a Guard, the one who made the Pro Bowl. And has been living off that rep since IMO.

The WHOLE PROBLEM with the Phins is the same problem it has been for years...decades even...lack of talent/lack of talent identification/lack of ability to HOLD talent when/if they get some.

I do not see this problem being remedied by Mike Tannebaum either.

egad...

sigh...

Smile

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:10 am

Degarmo wrote:Pouncey's obviously not taking legs seriously.  Eh, I don't think he takes much of anything in football seriously to be honest.  He doesn't strike me as much of a leader, or even that great of a player.  I've never understood why he's gotten so much cred.

Riding his brother's coattails. That's really it.

FF's post makes a whole lot of sense BTW. I never really thought about it like that before scratch

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am

finfanatic wrote:
I heard Charlie Casserly on the NFL Channel awhile back talking about teams that lack Depth. If you have some good players starting, but the backups STINK, the starters KNOW they do not have to give 100% because the coach may threaten, but there is no way he CAN replace you with the scrubsuckers he has  for backups.

I mean, the Coach would LOVE to send a lesson by sitting you for a game, but that assumes the 2nd teamer behind you is not a total loser who could not even make it in the Arena League!! (Remember Tony "SpongeBoob" Sparano doing this with the Oline PERPETUALLY, which destroyed the team's offense IMHO.)

And THAT is EXACTLY the problem the Phins have IMO. The FEW players they have that ARE legitimate NFL STARTING caliber players, are not being PUSHED by anything resembling NFL STARTING CALIBER Talent behind them. The starters KNOW the coaching staff have no choice but to play them, whether they hit the weights like they should or whether they give lackluster efforts on the field, or even if they PRETEND to give a shyte!

So talent acquisition, free agency and the draft, YET AGAIN...has shown itself to be the BANE OF THE MIAMI DOLPHINS!

I can guarantee, if Mike Pouncey had some young hotshot Center behind him, who was MUCH CHEAPER, and was pushing to take his spot, you would see the old Mike Pouncey. The one who played with fire and determination, who pulled like a Guard, the one who made the Pro Bowl. And has been living off that rep since IMO.

The WHOLE PROBLEM with the Phins is the same problem it has been for years...decades even...lack of talent/lack of talent identification/lack of ability to HOLD talent when/if they get some.

egad...

sigh...

Smile

Excellent post!  Nailed it.

If you look at teams that have been successful for a long time, like the Patriots, Packers and Steelers, they constantly improve their rosters year after year.  And they do it largely through the draft.  The "next man up" mentality is ingrained in those organizations, and the people making decisions in those organizations have the intelligence, savvy and know-how to identify players that fit their schemes AND acquire them.  They build their roster is such a way that when injuries strike or older players become too expensive, they already have players in place that they have developed to step up and take over without missing a beat - they don't have to scramble to sign high-priced FAs or sort through the scrap heap looking for something worthwhile.  These teams are well-oiled machines...they have a system in place to insure that they will be, at the very least, in the playoff discussion year after year, because their scouts, front office and coaches all work together and know what to do.

When teams like this talk about "improving the bottom of the roster", they mean it.  They aren't just bringing in scrubs to play special teams only or sit on the bench.  They bring in players with the expectation that they'll develop into something better down the road.  And if these players don't develop, the team replaces them instead of keeping them on the roster for years, taking up space.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:59 am

JMP wrote:Excellent post!  Nailed it.

If you look at teams that have been successful for a long time, like the Patriots, Packers and Steelers, they constantly improve their rosters year after year.  And they do it largely through the draft.  The "next man up" mentality is ingrained in those organizations, and the people making decisions in those organizations have the intelligence, savvy and know-how to identify players that fit their schemes AND acquire them.  They build their roster is such a way that when injuries strike or older players become too expensive, they already have players in place that they have developed to step up and take over without missing a beat - they don't have to scramble to sign high-priced FAs or sort through the scrap heap looking for something worthwhile.  These teams are well-oiled machines...they have a system in place to insure that they will be, at the very least, in the playoff discussion year after year, because their scouts, front office and coaches all work together and know what to do.

When teams like this talk about "improving the bottom of the roster", they mean it.  They aren't just bringing in scrubs to play special teams only or sit on the bench.  They bring in players with the expectation that they'll develop into something better down the road.  And if these players don't develop, the team replaces them instead of keeping them on the roster for years, taking up space.

This is exactly how I used to run my Madden franchises back in the day. It's just common sense, nothing special about it. That's why it blows my mind to see the Fins and other teams make the same mistakes over and over.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:02 pm

finfanatic wrote:
white1 wrote:Totally agree on Pouncey.  

Wasn't it last year we heard a report through the locker room that Albert challenged him for not being strong enough, in other words not spending enough time in the weight room? And he agreed with the assessment after getting called out?

Yeah, way to be a leader and earn that big salary, Pouncey.  I mean come on man.  Why is it that even when we do manage to draft someone with pro-bowl caliber talent, they turn into a lazy bum or bitch all the time? What happened to the guys like Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Brock Marion. Surtain, Madison?  Unreal.

I heard Charlie Casserly on the NFL Channel awhile back talking about teams that lack Depth. If you have some good players starting, but the backups STINK, the starters KNOW they do not have to give 100% because the coach may threaten, but there is no way he CAN replace you with the scrubsuckers he has for backups.

egad...

sigh...

Smile

Exactly! If Miami were to draft a center Pouncey would know this year is an audition. Probably not for Miami but he'll be playing for his last contract.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:07 pm

Yep.  The Phins love to talk about "competition", but they don't actually practice it.  Hopefully Gase will change that...but I'm not holding my breath with Tannenbaum calling the shots...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2