The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins offense in 2016

+5
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
finfanatic
white1
JMP
9 posters

Go down

Dolphins offense in 2016 Empty Dolphins offense in 2016

Post by JMP Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 am

I've been thinking about what the Phins offense will look like this season after all the offseason moves and the draft...

My guess is that we'll continue to primarily use 11 personnel like we did under Lazor - 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR.  Spread formations with Tannehill usually in the shotgun.  I think it will continue to be a pass-heavy offense, though I assume we'll run more than we did under Lazor.  The biggest change should be in playcalling, where I expect Gase to exploit matchup advantages he sees.

In order for this to work, Tannehill needs to get better at avoiding pressure, accuracy and decision-making, the OL needs to improve pass pro, and the RB-by-committee needs to produce in both the run and passing game.  Seems to me that too many things have to go right in order to make this work, but we'll see...

Thoughts?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins offense in 2016 Empty Re: Dolphins offense in 2016

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 8:42 am

Agree on most points. I believe Gase will run the ball significantly more than Lazor did.

We should see Drake getting mismatches against linebackers out of the backfield. More passes to the tight ends down the seam which is a route Tannehill can throw well. Also, I would be surprised if we did not see the return of the deep out route, another throw Tannehill has seemed to favor and do well with in the past.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue May 03, 2016 9:53 am

I think Gase is going to use the RBs more as receivers, which SHOULD suck some LBs out of the middle, opening things up for Landry on slants and drags across the middle.

It is going to be VERY INTERESTING to see what Gase can do with Tannehill.

The whole season and Gase' tenure is going to rest on Tannehill's improvement.

I have a bad feeling the defense is going to suck putrid chowder thru a bong mask, so let's hope the offense improves greatly.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue May 03, 2016 10:24 am

Gase' tenure is going to rest on Tannehill's improvement.

If a coach gets a "redshirt year" then this is it for Gase. I firmly believe Grier, Tannenbaum and Gase will have a serious discussion following 2016 with one primary topic: Is Tannehill their answer?

The quarterback is tied not just to Gase, but in all likelihood the entire front office. No one is going to "ride or die" with a guy they don't believe in.

After one season operating in the Gase offense, working with Gase and the coaching staff, they are going to form an opinion. Can we win playoff games with Tanny?

If not, expect us to dump him, and work next offseason on drafting or signing a replacement. Perhaps with a Philly-style trade to the top of the draft.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed May 04, 2016 1:22 am

Should have drafted a possible replacement for Tannehill 2 or 3 years ago, because, you know, planning for outcomes and stuff.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 04, 2016 7:53 am

JMP wrote:My guess is that we'll continue to primarily use 11 personnel like we did under Lazor - 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR.

i would assume this as well, especially considering it appears that once again the Phins will not carry a fullback. i sure hope the short-yardage woes do not continue.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 04, 2016 9:35 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:My guess is that we'll continue to primarily use 11 personnel like we did under Lazor - 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR.

i would assume this as well, especially considering it appears that once again the Phins will not carry a fullback.  i sure hope the short-yardage woes do not continue.

Yep, no place for a fullback in the spread offense.  One reason I dislike spread offenses.  It's hard enough to run out of the shotgun, and having no legit lead blocker makes it even harder. 

One of the weak points of the Dolphins offense remains poor blocking from the TE position...I think that really hurts the running game, especially short yardage.  Sims is average when healthy, but Cameron, Stoneburner and Duarte are all terrible blockers.  Fortunately we have a couple of good blocking receivers in Landry and Carroo, but that's not a substitute for a blocking TE.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 04, 2016 4:07 pm

One other thing I was thinking of...

A major issue last season was an over-reliance on Landry...just too many targets.  I hope the new coaching staff will work with Tannehill to get him to spread the ball around more.  I'd actually like to see Parker get just as many targets as Landry, if not more...that will make the offense much more dynamic. 

I also hope the backs will be used much more in the passing game, as that is where both Ajayi and Drake are at their best.  I was very confused by how Ajayi was used last season...he was an excellent receiver in college, but the Phins rarely threw him the ball.  That has to change.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed May 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I see it happening. But at the same time I like to see the TE do something as well. Miami didn't sign Jordan Cameron and Sims for nothing.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 04, 2016 9:01 pm

rightchea wrote:I see it happening. But at the same time I like to see the TE do something as well. Miami didn't sign Jordan Cameron and Sims for nothing.

With all the wide receivers and pass-catching running backs on this roster, I really don't expect big things from Cameron - maybe another 35-catch season. There's just not enough passes to go around. Sims has had opportunities to step up as a receiver, but he hasn't consistently delivered...so I don't expect much from him either.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 am

I don't really care how it happens. I just want to keep the defense off the field. A well rested D covers up a lot of warts. Last year the biggest problem seemed to be we were ALWAYS in third and long. To me, this was more play calling than anything else and of course this also leads to more hits on the QB because everyone in the building knows you're throwing the ball.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 06, 2016 8:53 am

This guy seems to think Ajayi will have a breakout season and even compares him to Elliott at the end Shocked

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/05/05/miami-dolphins-jay-ajayi-years-devonta-freeman/

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am

Ajayi breaking out is a real possibility.

Would be so cool for us to see a good surprise, instead of the kind we've become accustomed to.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 10:17 am

Ajayi needs to be much more aggressive and use his size more. Last season he was very hesitant and slow to hit the hole. He also needs to get lower - he runs way too upright. I really don't see him as anything special as a runner, but he could be a very good pass catcher - that's where I think he'll make the biggest impact.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri May 06, 2016 12:52 pm

I think Ajayi could surprise as I have said before, but he runs in a very upright fashion that is not conducive to longevity in the NFL.

I expect the Phins to bring in a veteran RB for camp or later, after they see the collection of scrubs they have is just not going to cut it.  

Arian Foster maybe unless he gets signed by somebody else.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 pm

If Foster is healthy, I'd be in favor of signing him for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 06, 2016 1:31 pm

JMP wrote:Ajayi needs to be much more aggressive and use his size more. Last season he was very hesitant and slow to hit the hole. He also needs to get lower - he runs way too upright. I really don't see him as anything special as a runner, but he could be a very good pass catcher - that's where I think he'll make the biggest impact.

Ajayi has lost weight hoping to be more explosive and lessen stress on the knee. Not sure I approve but we shall see.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Ajayi struggled running outside last year - much more of a between the tackles runner.  Maybe losing weight will help in that regard, but I'd worry that it could hurt his power.  But again, it was his hesitation more than anything that turned me off to him as a rookie.  Just hit the hole - no dancing!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri May 06, 2016 7:38 pm

This offense is going to come down to the line. If Tannehill has protection I expect big things. I think this is the most talented receiving group we've had in the last 10 years. I think Parker becomes the redzone threat he was drafted to be. Need to keep Tannehill upright and keep the pressure off.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 06, 2016 11:17 pm

CarsonChris wrote:This offense is going to come down to the line. If Tannehill has protection I expect big things. I think this is the most talented receiving group we've had in the last 10 years. I think Parker becomes the redzone threat he was drafted to be. Need to keep Tannehill upright and keep the pressure off.

To me, this offense goes as Tannehill goes. As much shit as last year's line got, I saw many, many plays where the line was fine and Tannehill failed to produce. That's been the case throughout Tannehill's career (including college). Tannehill to this point has shown that he has no ability at all to see pressure pre-snap, and he has no ability to feel pressure in the pocket. I'm not sure either of those things can be learned. Russell Wilson, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, among others in recent years, have won Super Bowls with sub-par offensive lines. Tannehill has yet to have a winning season. The QB is a factor...it's not just on the OL.

As far as the receiving corps, right now it's Landry and maybe Parker. I have no expectations for any other receivers on the current roster. But the bottom line is Tannehill...no more excuses. Time to put up, or go home. He's been coddled enough...time to step up and show that he's more than mediocre.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down