The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil

+2
JMP
rightchea
6 posters

Go down

Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil  Empty Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil

Post by rightchea Fri May 13, 2016 9:56 am

Chris Perkins wrote:The Miami Dolphins, with the addition of offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, the outstanding first-round pick from Mississippi, figure to have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL next season.

Adding Tunsil, who might play guard, to an offensive line that already includes Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey, Pro Bowl left tackle Branden Albert, and promising right tackle Ja’Wuan James, is a great way to address one of the team’s most glaring needs.

My question, however, is whether having one of the NFL’s best offensive lines is the best way for the Dolphins to improve their chances of making the playoffs.

I think improving the defense is a better way for the Dolphins to improve their chances of finally making the postseason.

Instead of drafting Tunsil at No. 13, I’d have drafted Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee, who went No. 20 to the New York Jets, or Houston cornerback William Jackson, who went No. 24 to Cincinnati. And that’s only because Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple (No. 10 pick by the New York Giants) and Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves (No. 11 pick to Tampa Bay) were both off the board.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/dolphins-blog/sfl-perkins-here-s-who-i-would-have-drafted-instead-of-laremy-tunsil-20160512-story.html

I feel what Perkins is saying Miami needed more than just an OT. I would have called a bunch of teams and asked how much they wanted for Tunsil, I believe that Miami would have flip first round picks and then gotten at least another 3rd round pick and 5th round.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil  Empty Re: Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil

Post by JMP Fri May 13, 2016 10:35 am

I agree, rightchea - and I bet the Phins did field some calls for that #13 pick. But, if the Phins truly had Tunsil rated as the #2 player in the draft, it was a no-brainer - they had to do it. I wanted the Phins to draft BPA, and that's exactly what they did from their perspective. I wouldn't have touched Tunsil, personally, but I get why the Phins did it. I HATE drafting OL high, and the drug issue scared me - but again, Tunsil was BPA for the Phins.

I appreciate what Perkins implies, that OT isn't the answer to Miami's problems. We all should have learned that from Jake Long and Branden Albert. But Darron Lee??? Really??? No way in hell...terrible fit for Miami. Like I said before the draft, 13 was not a great spot. But, I liked guys like Shaq Lawson, Laquan Treadwell, Emmanuel Ogbah...and even DBs like Keanu Neal and to a lesser extent William Jackson.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil  Empty Re: Perkins: Here's who I would have drafted instead of Laremy Tunsil

Post by finfanatic Fri May 13, 2016 12:27 pm

I am sure Tannenbaum looked at it like he had already gotten TWO STARTERS by trading down from 8 to 13, so when the chance came to get the #2 rated player at #13, that was just way too much VALUE to pass up....assuming he doesn't puff his way out of the league.

If Tunsil plugs the humongous gaping hole in the interior of the Phins O-line, gives the offense a rushing attack that defenses MUST Take seriously, and thereby IMPROVES Tannehill's play, this will be a GREAT PICK for the Phins.

The defense will have to get by on what it has now or what can be gleaned from free agent dregs and cuttings later this season.

I am reserving judgment, but at first glance, I think the Phins could have one tremendously BAD DEFENSE this season. I am talking late 1980's Olivadotti bad defense!!!

Shocked affraid

Man, just thinking about it makes me nauseous.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 13, 2016 12:38 pm

Best offensive lines?  When the inevitable rash of injuries sets in, this line will suck.  Staying healthy is a skill.  We have guys that can't ply half the time.  Therefore they are half effective.  Plug that metric into that horseshit PFF garbage.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 13, 2016 12:56 pm

finfanatic wrote:If Tunsil plugs the humongous gaping hole in the interior of the Phins O-line, gives the offense a rushing attack that defenses MUST Take seriously, and thereby IMPROVES Tannehill's play, this will be a GREAT PICK for the Phins.

As I've said, Long and Albert didn't save the offense, so what makes anyone think another LT(who IMHO is not as good as Long or Albert) will?  And if Tunsil does end up playing guard as a rookie, will that even help...considering he's never played the position?

Again, I get the Tunsil pick - but I think that people will be disappointed if they expect him to "fix" the offense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 13, 2016 1:31 pm

He's a talented rookie with a big strike against him playing out of position for a team that has been habitually terrible at coaching O-line.

Super positive right now.

Yeah, this is what this team does to people Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri May 13, 2016 2:19 pm

I'd still love to know what the Jets were willing to give up to get Tunsil. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS DRAFT, but if we could have got their first , second and maybe a 4th round picks, wow.

Anyway I think Darren Lee will be an absolute force in 2 or 3 years but next year I think he'll just be okay.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri May 13, 2016 11:40 pm

From what it sound like the Bills wanted Tunsil so I would have made them pay up for him. I bet some other team would have went after him as well that was under 13

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat May 14, 2016 11:17 am

But Darron Lee??? Really??? No way in hell...terrible fit for Miami.

I agree, Lee would have been a reach at #13 also.

I would have advocated for a trade down, maybe take one of the corners later in the round, or pull the trigger on Myles Jack.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down