The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think?

5 posters

Go down

Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think? Empty Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think?

Post by mercury22nathan Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 am

Only six active NFL players have a higher career yards-per-catch average than Kenny Stills (16.5), and Dolphins coach Adam Gase said he “definitely” wants to get him involved more after he was targeted just 63 times last season (compared with 165 for Jarvis Landry).

But the chemistry must improve with Ryan Tannehill. Though a bunch of Stills’ targets were difficult deep routes (and that must be taken into account with this stat), he caught only 42.8 percent of passes thrown to him, compared to 70.4 for Rishard Matthews (now with Tennessee), 66.7 for Landry, 50.9 for DeVante Parker and 50 for Jordan Cameron.

Stills had only two drops last season, so many of the incomplete passes were errant throws by Tannehill.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/05/exploring-where-heat-stands-with-impending-free-agents-and-more-on-bosh-situation-dolphins-canes-mar.html

was Stills less-than-stellar season more about Tannehill's much publicized struggles with deep ball accuracy than his own abilities?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think? Empty Re: Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think?

Post by JMP Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am

I think Stills is a one-trick pony...good for deep routes and not much else.  Not a very good route-runner IMO.  Ideally for me, he'd be the #4 WR used primarily in 4-WR sets and when one of the top 3 guys need a breather.  Realistically, though, he is currently the third best receiver on the team and should be a starter.  Maybe Carroo can catch up to him at some point, but my guess is he'll need time to get up to speed.

Regardless, I think the vast majority of targets will go to Landry, Parker and the RBs.  #3 WR is not going to see a lot of targets IMO.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think? Empty Re: Kenny Stills perhaps better than we think?

Post by rightchea Tue May 31, 2016 11:17 am

From what I have been hearing about Carroo he only had two drop in the hole season and something like 10 in his whole career. So for the fact that his hand has stickem on it may make him the #3 WR. IMO, they will swop Carroo and Landry position during the games.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 pm

rightchea wrote:From what I have been hearing about Carroo he only had two drop in the hole season and something like 10 in his whole career. So for the fact that his hand has stickem on it may make him the #3 WR. IMO, they will swop Carroo and Landry position during the games.

At this level, most receivers can catch.  What separates the greats are things like route running, knowledge of the offensive system and playbook, ability/knowledge to beat defenders and get open, blocking skills, etc.  Most of those skills are usually difficult for rookie receivers to grasp.  I'm not sold on either Stills or Carroo, but I'd say Stills is by far the more polished player at this point.  Not sure I'd use Carroo in the slot either, at least not initially.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:38 am

Carroo had 2 drops in college from what I read. His hands are as good as Landry's from what I read. He fits Tannehill where Stills does not.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 am

CarsonChris wrote:Carroo had 2 drops in college from what I read. His hands are as good as Landry's from what I read. He fits Tannehill where Stills does not.

But Stills brings something to the table that no other Dolphin receiver brings: speed.  Landry, Parker and Carroo are all slower possession-types, with fairly similar skillsets (although Parker has the size that the others lack).  Stills is unique on this roster, and even though I don't particularly like him it makes sense to have him on the field more than Carroo because he adds a completely different dimension than anyone else.  Stills is a better fit in an offensive scheme that wants to utilize the run and short-intermediate passing game, because he opens things up underneath by drawing defenders deep.  Carroo can't do that, and neither can any other Dolphin receiver.  Putting Carroo in and leaving Stills on the bench makes the offense very one-dimensional.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:16 am

Some are predicting Stills will have a breakout year.

He was hurt last preseason, preventing the ability to build trust with Tannehill.

His raw stats show he can be special.

This is a contract year.

It all could add up for Stills.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down