The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard

5 posters

Go down

Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard Empty Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard

Post by rightchea Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:11 pm

Danny Poague wrote:They’ve added veterans in Jermon Bushrod and Kraig Urbik and used a premium draft pick to add Laremy Tunsil.
Many have speculated that 4 out of the 5 line spots are already set. 2 time Pro Bowler Branden Albert at Left Tackle. First Round Draft Pick Laremy Tunsil at Left Guard. Former First Rounder and 3 time Pro Bowler Mike Pouncey at Center and Former First Rounder Ja’Wuan James at Right Tackle. The credentials are impressive but the production hasn’t been… yet.
The only question mark on this Line is the Right Guard position and the Dolphins have put themselves in a position to have 4-5 capable players battle it out in camp to let the best possible fit rise to the top and solidify this years Offensive Line. These are the players in play for that spot and my prediction for the eventual starter.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/dolphins/story/1676377-miami-dolphins-have-choices-at-right-guard

So it sounds like Miami is playing around with the OL again. Unfortuately this never works out well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard Empty Re: Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard

Post by JMP Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:56 pm

Kind of crazy that there are 4-5 players at RG and they still don't know who the starter will be. I think that says a lot about the quality of those players...which is not good.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard Empty Re: Miami Dolphins Have Choices at Right Guard

Post by Birdmond Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:33 am

JMP wrote:Kind of crazy that there are 4-5 players at RG and they still don't know who the starter will be. I think that says a lot about the quality of those players...which is not good.

Not really. New coaches are going to do things their way and you can't evaluate much without pads. Plus you have to have competition. You can't just hand a guy a job now. It kind of defeats the purpose of practice.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:47 am

Birdmond wrote:
JMP wrote:Kind of crazy that there are 4-5 players at RG and they still don't know who the starter will be.  I think that says a lot about the quality of those players...which is not good.

Not really. New coaches are going to do things their way and you can't evaluate much without pads.  Plus you have to have competition.  You can't just hand a guy a job now.  It kind of defeats the purpose of practice.  

I'd agree if there were two players competing for one job - that's a good thing and expected. But when 4 or 5 players are competing and all have a chance to win the job, that generally means that no one has stepped up enough to earn it. Sure, OTAs don't show much if anything for linemen, but if any of these guys was truly a winner and legit starter they would have made their presence known by now. That position still looks like a huge problem area to me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 am

JMP wrote:...there are 4-5 players at RG...

when you have potential starters, you don't have any starters.

i think the Phins are waiting (hoping) for Bushrod to get healthy and then they will view this as Bushrod and a bunch of other guys competing for backup spots. at least Douglas seems to have gotten the message.

Jamil Douglas said he knows he needs to master backup center to solidify his roster chances.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/06/jose-fernandezs-historic-return-and-the-interesting-looming-decision-for-marlins-canes-dolphins.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:09 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
JMP wrote:...there are 4-5 players at RG...

when you have potential starters, you don't have any starters.

i think the Phins are waiting (hoping) for Bushrod to get healthy and then they will view this as Bushrod and a bunch of other guys competing for backup spots.  at least Douglas seems to have gotten the message.

Jamil Douglas said he knows he needs to master backup center to solidify his roster chances.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2016/06/jose-fernandezs-historic-return-and-the-interesting-looming-decision-for-marlins-canes-dolphins.html

Agreed with your statement about "potential starters".  To me, it seems like they are handling RG the same way the Phins have for years - throw a bunch of shit at the wall to see what sticks.  But no matter how you look at it, it's still shit!

Bushrod at guard scares me...his play at tackle has dropped tremendously the past couple of years, he's coming off a bad injury and he's not a guard.  Sounds like a bad combo to me.

As for Douglas, I think he's a waste of time at any position - especially center - but I guess we'll see if the new coaches can work a miracle.  Would be nice to have a guy that actually knows how to play center already to backup Pouncey, but it is what it is....

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Seems like these choices at guard are like the choices for the next president--somehow worse than having none at all.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down