The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deflategate: Wells report released

5 posters

Go down

Deflategate: Wells report released  Empty Deflategate: Wells report released

Post by JMP Wed May 06, 2015 2:03 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491385/article/wells-report-released-on-footballs-used-in-afc-title-game

here are some of the key sections that conclude the findings:

"We have concluded that it is more probable than not that Jim McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee.

"Based on the evidence, it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady (the quarterback for the Patriots) was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls," the report reads.

The reports says that other Patriots personnel was not aware of the effort.

"We do not believe that the evidence establishes that any other Patriots personnel participated in or had knowledge of the violation of the Playing Rules or the deliberate effort to circumvent the rules described in this Report. In particular, we do not believe there was any wrongdoing or knowledge of wrongdoing by Patriots ownership, Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick or any other Patriots coach in the matters investigated."

In relation to the kicking balls, the conclusion reads:

"We do not believe that the evidence supports a conclusion that there was any deliberate effort by the Patriots to circumvent the NFL's Playing Rules with respect to the kicking balls used during the AFC Championship Game."

So 4 months of investigating, and all we know is that it's "more probable than not" that a Patriots' equipment assistant and a locker room attendant "participated in an effort to release air from game balls", and Tom Brady may or may not have known about it, but probably did. In plain English, all this says is that maybe (or maybe not) a couple of guys working for the Pats made some sort of attempt to deflate game balls, and Tom Brady might have (or might not have) known about it. Note that it doesn't actually say that they did deflate game balls, only that they somehow made an effort to do so. Wow, that's great work by Ted Wells. What a crock of nonsense.

As I've said since day one, I don't think a marginally-deflated ball has any impact whatsoever on the outcome of a game. That said, if it's a violation of the rules to deflate game balls, then the Patriots should be penalized in some way...they broke a rule, even if I happen to think the rule is stupid.

But this investigation was an absolute joke. We know nothing more today than we did 4 months ago. When this all started, everyone suspected that the Patriots' equipment people deflated game balls and Brady knew about it. Thanks to the great Ted Wells, we can now say that we suspect that the Patriots' equipment people deflated game balls and Brady knew about it. So there's nothing definitive - no proof, no evidence. Nice. So, the Patriots will once again violate the league rules and avoid punishment.

Goodell said:
"As with other recent matters involving violations of competitive rules, Troy Vincent and his team will consider what steps to take in light of the report, both with respect to possible disciplinary action and to any changes in protocols that are necessary to avoid future incidents of this type. At the same time, we will continue our efforts vigorously to protect the integrity of the game and promote fair play at all times."

So in other words, the Pats will get a slap on the wrist and the league will change the way game balls are treated. Close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Deflategate: Wells report released  Empty Re: Deflategate: Wells report released

Post by JMP Wed May 06, 2015 2:24 pm

Here's the full Wells report:
http://a.espncdn.com/pdf/2015/0506/PatriotsWellsReport.pdf

Text messages between Jim McNally (the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots) and John Jastremski (an equipment assistant for the Patriots) start on page 78. You can read into them whatever you want, but the fact is that there's nothing definitive. The texts mention "deflation", but don't say anything about what that means...was it "deflation" within the league limits, or beyond the league limits? And it seems like the two guys are joking around about Brady...I don't see any proof that he asked them to do anything outside the rules.

Look, the Pats and Brady are almost certainly guilty. But, when I read through sections of this report I don't see any hard evidence at all. Just speculation. I don't see how the league can punish the Patriots based on speculation.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Deflategate: Wells report released  Empty Re: Deflategate: Wells report released

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 06, 2015 2:41 pm

don't you just love how they decided to release the report just AFTER the draft. so that in the event there is an outcry for punishment, it is too late to take away draft picks - and by next year's draft, all will be forgotten.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 pm

Now this will blow up on Sports talk radio again that Brady lied before about not knowing anything. I will be glad when this blows over again but it won't until the punishment come down and it probaly will be a small fine and someone being fired.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed May 06, 2015 5:58 pm

So they are liars, cheaters and killers. The Patriots what America is built on..... Twisted Evil

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 am

Yeah I don't think anyone is a bigger Patriot hater than me but without concrete evidence it's bull sh!t.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu May 07, 2015 3:25 pm

I heard that they have text messages from Tom Brady's phone and also have some emails about it as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 pm

rightchea wrote:I heard that they have text messages from Tom Brady's phone and also have some emails about it as well.

The texts and emails in the reports are not exact;ly damning evidence...it's enough to suspect that he was involved, but not enough to actually "convict".

I think Wells worded this exactly the way the NFL wanted. By using the word "probably", it gives the NFL an out to say that there's nothing definite and there's not enough to punish the Pats or Brady severely.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down