The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serious Question

+5
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
JMP
Birdmond
white1
9 posters

Go down

Serious Question Empty Serious Question

Post by white1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:51 am

If we had actually lost yesterday, this is more relevant, but given the performance we've witnessed over the first three weeks I still think it's a relevant question.

I know it's early, but in watching this team I think it's pretty obvious how the season will turn out.

I am predicting that if we don't have the #1 overall pick, at worse it will be top 5.

The question is, if we select that high, does Ross actually KEEP Tannebaum in place to make this selection? Does he sit back, satisfied with where the roster is, and say to himself "Well we have a great draft pick now, this will fix us!"

I really hope not. I'm thinking that the front office is holding us back, and has been for a very long time. Ever since we tried to go from the Shula/Jimmy Johnson/Nick Saban model where the head coach is king, to a more traditional GM structure we still have never got it right. In fact, I'd argue we should have kept Rick Spielman. In case you hadn't noticed, he is the guy that built the roster sporting what looks to be a world-class defense. They absolutely DESTROYED Cam Newton yesterday, and the Panthers are no slouch.

WTF have our GMs done? We have nothing - NOTHING - we can really "hang our hat on" as a team strength.

This is a puzzle. Ross really can't move too quickly, because there's been so much instability that the job is turning into a really unattractive proposition. That's not how you land the front office talent we need. He may have to keep everything in place for three seasons, and hope that season three is either successful (playoffs at least), or the exact opposite. He cleaned up the power structure and that's good. However, when you look at teams like the Eagles who go from abysmal to crushing the Steelers in one offseason, it's clear that some executives just know how to build a roster quickly, and with the kind of players the coaching staff is looking for.

At the same time, if we have the #1 overall pick and are looking at a total rebuild, it would be a wise idea for Ross to see if there is a talented executive who's ready to take Tannebaum's job, and would be willing to retain Gase for at least the term of his contract, or one year short of that.

A new, franchise-caliber QB would be really nice to have. The rest of the roster has to have some talent and depth, though, to mean anything. Right now it looks like we have neither, and technically this is year 2 with Tannebaum calling the shots.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Serious Question Empty Re: Serious Question

Post by Birdmond Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 am

Ross isn't firing anyone IMHO. Kizer is the only QB I would consider next year. Otherwise take the sure thing in Garrett or trade down for Fournette.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:21 am

Tannenbaum isn't going anywhere, IMO.  He has Ross's ear, and he'll be able to convince him that the team is "on the right track".

I'm convinced that this team won't have a winning season as long as Ross remains in charge.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 am

I'm not so sure.

I agree that it's highly unlikely Ross makes any moves after this season, even if it is as abysmal as 1-15, or similar.

However, it's clear he CAN hire competent people. He delivered on the stadium, and the construction demands were so huge they were running 24/7 shifts to get it done. The stadium looks awesome.

I believe he gives Tannebaum his chance. I believe there are limits to even Ross' patience.

The record doesn't lie. As much as Tannebaum has his ear now, as the losses pile up, and if they extend into next season, those words start to ring hollow.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:24 am

white1 wrote:I'm not so sure.  

I agree that it's highly unlikely Ross makes any moves after this season, even if it is as abysmal as 1-15, or similar.

However, it's clear he CAN hire competent people.  He delivered on the stadium, and the construction demands were so huge they were running 24/7 shifts to get it done.  The stadium looks awesome.

I believe he gives Tannebaum his chance.  I believe there are limits to even Ross' patience.  

The record doesn't lie.  As much as Tannebaum has his ear now, as the losses pile up, and if they extend into next season, those words start to ring hollow.  

Ross can absolutely hire competent people and he apparently is a fantastic business mind, and he did a great job with the stadium for sure - but when it comes to football, he's absolutely clueless. 

I really don't think the Dolphins will finish 1-15...I'm still thinking they win 5 or 6 games.  But yeah, 1-15 could be enough to get Tannenbaum shitcanned.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Ross can absolutely hire competent people and he apparently is a fantastic business mind, and he did a great job with the stadium for sure - but when it comes to football, he's absolutely clueless.

I really don't think the Dolphins will finish 1-15...I'm still thinking they win 5 or 6 games. But yeah, 1-15 could be enough to get Tannenbaum shitcanned.

Here's how I'm looking at it, and again, this is an OPTIMISTIC view of how Ross operates. The key to business translates to the NFL in this simple way: Hire the right people and hold them accountable to do the job. That's it. He needs the right senior executive, someone who can sell him on the right way to operate, then make that person demonstrate results.

I have worked with a number of people who are fantastic interviewers. They can land a job, and jobs with prestigious companies, but seem to "flame out" after about 3 years. They just aren't all that good working with people. But in an interview for a number of hours covering their work history and what they know? They will impress the hell out of you, and they will get that job.

I think Tannebaum may fit into this category. Hell, he landed the Jets top job and now he has ours. He's great at getting in the door and maneuvering into position to take charge of it all.

The problem he will have in a results oriented business is that you cannot fake success. You're either leading a good team or you're not. If he screws up the salary cap in Miami, like he did in NY, the roster will suffer again and the results will follow.

Ross has given him the keys to the franchise. I don't think for one moment that he will have a Matt Millen length tenure here if he does not win. This year is too soon, but if we show no progress NEXT year as well, I think it's a higher probability he gets shitcanned. Ross does not know football, and the restructuring of the front office reflects that he has grown self aware of that now. When the coach and GM both reported to Ross, that was a real problem - because he's not a football guy. That has been corrected. My thinking is that if Tannebaum fails, Ross will find another executive to take his place, and this exec will have a strong resume with another team. Someone who is ready to take the next step but has a seasoned GM/President entrenched that isn't going anywhere long term. The guy from Baltimore fits the description, but everyone knows he's not leaving that team. But it will be someone with a similar resume and experience.

Just my take. In summary, I think Tannebaum was able to sell Ross on his vision for the team, and how he plans to build it, and he's getting that chance now. It won't be an indefinite length of time before he needs to show results to Ross, who is an excellent businessman.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm

wait, we're talking about Stephen Ross, right? the same man that gave both Sparano and Philbin contract extensions after they had clearly demonstrated their clear path to failure? Tannenbaum is Ross' handpicked franchise leader based on their shared close NY ties. Tannenbaum isn't going anywhere and any time soon.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:19 pm

you can't be the owner with the reputation of cleaning house every two years. IMHO this current administration is here for the next 5 years. Tannehill will be the next fall guy and rightfully so.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:28 pm

You're probably right bird and in the interest of the franchise it may be the best approach.

Give them their time, then decide if they've done well enough.

A great candidate will not want to come here if he thinks it's too short of a leash .
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:15 pm

It's a tough call - do you want the reputation of an owner that pulls the trigger too quickly, or one who waits too long to make a move?   I land on the side of "if something clearly isn't working, then move on".  The longer you wait, the deeper in you get and the harder it becomes to make that move. 

I'd give Tannenbaum and Gase this season and next season, and then re-assess.  If they can't build a winning team after those two years, they're gone.  It shouldn't take years to get on the right track.

But, I tend to believe that Ross will just keep things as is as long as possible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:51 pm

I optimistically had this pegged as a "1996 Tampa Bay" type season at the beginning, or a "1997 Atlanta" type. A **very** slow start, with a much better second half. Here's hoping it still is, but I'm not seeing the emerging stars on this team that those teams had, just waiting to break out.

We don't have a running back; those teams did.
We don't have the secondary, save for Jones; those teams did.

Ironically the one thing that looks good from draft day is the Tunsil pick. He's a good player and likely future Pro Bowler. Not sure we picked up any others like him, though, and one above average player per draft won't cut it.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Exactly, Gase has to keep Tannebaum away from making bad picks

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 pm

A real housecleaning is what is needed though. We keep trying to piece together parts for this 1983 Toyota Tercel when we should just buy a new damn car.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:29 am

Ross is to the NFL what Vince McMahon was to the XFL. And what Trump is to politics. The irony is that billionaires have almost no ability to adapt to any other area except what got them rich to begin with, while the average working stiff has far more adaptability due to being forced to start a new career by these same billionaires every 10 years or so.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:21 pm

316 I agree with you to some extent. Ross is shrewd and his business acumen is excellent. The difference between his Real Estate acumen and his Football team ownership is Zero.....IMHO there is no difference.

He needs to stop believing that football is not his expertise. He needs to look at from a success and failure standpoint. He trust's to many "football experts" rather than his own eyes. He needs to be shrewd and intelligent just like he was with the stadium. I don't believe he should "stay in his lane". I think he needs to do the opposite and open his eyes.....his experts are just stealing his money and making this team no better then it was yesterday.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:29 pm

Umix, if he knew anything about football he wouldn't need those "experts" to begin with. Why pay anybody to tell you things you already know? Ross needed the "experts' BECAUSE he was clueless. He only bought the team to impress people. It's like if I suddenly decided to own a restaurant because I thought it might be cool when I don't know a damn thing about the restaurant business.

Not to mention he's now at an age where the mind won't be getting any sharper.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down