The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parker still not getting it

+3
rightchea
JMP
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

Parker still not getting it Empty Parker still not getting it

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:25 am

This Dolphins offense, already rolling the past two weeks, will be even better if they can extract more from DeVante Parker, who is 72nd in receiving yards (295).

Coaches have been imploring him to improve, especially with “certain routes where I should come back to the quarterback and being in the spot where the quarterback wants me to be,” Parker said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article110773527.html

i mean really, how f---ing hard can it be? we're not talking about physical abilities - this about KNOWING where to run. this is the kind of thing 4th graders can figure out. this isn't about being stupid - its about the desire to want to improve.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Parker still not getting it Empty Re: Parker still not getting it

Post by JMP Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:02 am

Not everyone is Reggie Wayne, who was born to be a fantastic route runner (and look at Amari Cooper for a more recent example.)  In fact, most receivers are terrible route runners in college.  But it's a skill that can be learned.  Calvin Johnson wasn't much of a route runner at Georgia Tech, because they ran a triple-option running offense.  But when he came to the NFL, he watched tons of tape and worked his ass off and became an excellent route runner.  Then you have Parker, who was a poor route runner in college and remains a poor route runner in the NFL, and we keep hearing stories that essentially say he's lazy and doesn't always do what he needs to do. 

This reminds me of a story from when Jimmy Johnson coached the Phins.  At the time, OJ McDuffie was on the team and was a fairly average receiver.  Apparently he liked to party and didn't give his best effort on the practice field.  JJ took him aside and told him "you can be a mule or a thoroughbread - your choice - it's up to you".  OJ took it to heart, and started working like a madman to get better.  He became one of the league's most clutch 3rd down receivers and went on to lead the NFL in receptions in 1998.  (Hope I got that story right - that's how I remember it!)

And that's what it comes down to: does Parker want to be a mule or a thoroughbread?  So far, it seems like he's content to collect a paycheck and be just another dude on the field.  He says he's one of the league's best receivers (ha!), but his actions show that he's just a mediocre bit player.  Time will tell what he becomes, but right now he's on the train to bust-ville.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:04 am

It sounds like Parker is not tough enough to play in the NFL. Can't hold his hand, he has to go out and make plays.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:21 am

He says he's one of the league's best receivers (ha!), but his actions show that he's just a mediocre bit player. Time will tell what he becomes, but right now he's on the train to bust-ville.

Yep. Our version of Justin Hunter. Someone with all the skills, all the tools, won't put in the work to do what it takes to turn into a pro bowl caliber WR.

Oh well.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:19 pm

I've noticed the last few games Gase has had Parker run routs where he was definitely going to get hit. I'm not giving up on the kid yet. I liked the pick at the time. Still do.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:41 pm

There's a serious disconnect here that I believe falls on the staff more then the player.

Obviously Parker has the skills or they wouldn't start him. They have shown Ajayi what happens when you pout or not willing to look at the team before yourself.

If Parker doesn't get it and Jefferson is the "Intense Coach" what is being lost in translation as far as I'm concerned he is still starting.

They can nitpick all they want but the kid still starts.

Don't even get me started on why Grant can't even run a fade route on offense. No special package no creativity no reverses. 1 fn play where he's the motion guy. Unbelievable.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Parker starts because there's no one else. Carroo certainly isn't ready to start.

And yeah, it makes no sense that Grant has gotten just one snap in 7 games. I just don't get it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Parker ain't the only one. Caroo is an option not a good one but an option! Don't see how they did it to Ajayi but won't do it to Parker.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:06 pm

I want Carroo. When he was at Rutgers he honestly didn't drop anything near him. Not sure how it will translate to the NFL.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:58 am

I think Carroo's issues are that he's slow and not a good route runner. He can maybe develop into a red zone or third down threat, but it's hard for me to see him as an every-down player. I see him as a role player, nothing more. But, we'll see - he may get his chance next season if Stills leaves in free agency.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down