The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery!

+3
rightchea
mercury22nathan
JMP
7 posters

Go down

UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery! Empty UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery!

Post by JMP Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:51 pm

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-ryan-tannehill-has-sprained-acl-and-mcl-in-left-knee-but-no-torn-ligaments-20161212-story.html

Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill sustained a sprained ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament) in his left knee that won’t require surgery, coach Adam Gase said Monday.

Gase hasn’t ruled out Tannehill playing at some point in the final three games, the Dolphins are preparing for backup quarterback Matt Moore to start on Saturday night against the New York Jets in the Meadowlands.

Wow, this is EXCELLENT news!!!   cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery! Empty Re: UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery!

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 pm

that is excellent news. even if not for this year, for the fact that he won't be recuperating during next year's training camp and slowed going into the season.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery! Empty Re: UPDATE: Tannehill has sprained ACL and MCL - no tear, no surgery!

Post by rightchea Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:13 pm

I have to agree. I still think drafting a backup QB is realistic.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Great News. Tanny will be back getting sacked and throwing picks before the end of the season.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:58 pm

and obviously this shows more of the stupidity from the top of this organization if they allowed ALL the media to announce RT was done and needed surgery.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Excellent!!!!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:23 pm

WOW!!! Even Tannehill's interior body parts are tough!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

JEGnj wrote:Great News. Tanny will be back getting sacked and throwing picks before the end of the season.

JEGnj, I have never said this to you before but you need a forum timeout. Enough is enough. Dr. 316's prescription is deep breathing exercises and spending more time with family the rest of the week.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:45 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

JEGnj, I have never said this to you before but you need a forum timeout. Enough is enough. Dr. 316's prescription is deep breathing exercises and spending more time with family the rest of the week.

LOL But not a real timeout...we don't have those silly rules here! afro

I've criticized Tannehill as much (or more) than anyone, but he had a very good season. Not great, and not enough to get us where we want to be, but he at least showed that he can play well when everything around him is good.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:26 pm

JMP wrote:LOL  But not a real timeout...we don't have those silly rules here!   afro

That's why I specifically said timeout instead of the b word Cool

I love that he still does game threads and want that to continue, but his obsession with Tannehill has officially crossed over into hate, and JEGnj is better than that. Lord knows I've stepped away more than a few times over the years to calm down. I know he's done a lot of work lately to fix his anger issues.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:35 pm

JMP gets it. He had a good season but some people(not really on this page) are treating him like Brady, Rodgers, or Brees. He is a serviceable QB but he is NOT franchise or elite. If there is an opportunity to get a better QB either FA or draft I don't want them to pass thinking Tanny will be the man for anther 10 years.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 pm

JEGnj wrote:JMP gets it. He had a good season but some people(not really on this page) are treating him like Brady, Rodgers, or Brees. He is a serviceable QB but he is NOT franchise or elite. If there is an opportunity to get a better QB either FA or draft I don't want them to pass thinking Tanny will be the man for anther 10 years.

We all get that. There's no need for you to celebrate his injury and then be unhappy that it's not nearly as serious as first reported. That's going above and beyond.

As I said, you're better than that. When you want to be.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Not celebrating just some are making it the end of the world. Every time Tanny drops back to pass he either gets sacked or I have to hold my breath and hope and pray.
I was even starting to get a little excited which I said I won't do until the Baltimore ass whooping.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:15 pm

"Anyone who says Ryan Tannehill hasn't grown as a QB either has an agenda or is stupid"

Omar Kelly

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:28 pm

JEGnj wrote:JMP gets it. He had a good season but some people(not really on this page) are treating him like Brady, Rodgers, or Brees. He is a serviceable QB but he is NOT franchise or elite. If there is an opportunity to get a better QB either FA or draft I don't want them to pass thinking Tanny will be the man for anther 10 years.  

I've said all along that Tannehill could one day be Alex Smith. He's not Smith yet, but he's getting there. It's at least some progress, and he looked much more comfortable overall this season. Still a ways to go with pocket presence, and there's still too many 3 and outs and failed third down attempts. I think the argument can be made that 2014 was his best season overall, but there was some improvement this season in terms of his decision-making, deep throws and leadership.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:28 am

IMO Tannehill has already reached the level of Alex Smith, and still has room to grow.

Here are Smith's stats this year to date. The table is hard to read, key point is Smith rating of 92.7, while Tannehill has a 93.5.

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2016 Kansas City Chiefs 12 12 267 397 67.3 2,831 7.1 12 5 26 134 92.7 34 56 1.6 2 6 4

Smith only had one season that was significantly different, and that was 2012 when he posted a 104 rating in his last year with the 49ers. I fully expect that Tannehill is capable of that kind of season, and better, and for more than just one year.

I understand the comparison. But IMO Tannehill is already there, and I expect him to get better.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 am

Here's the deal. Until Tannehill stops improving you cannot say "he'll never be" and in my opinion, under Gase he's not going to stop improving.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:34 am

white1 wrote:IMO Tannehill has already reached the level of Alex Smith, and still has room to grow.

Here are Smith's stats this year to date.  The table is hard to read, key point is Smith rating of 92.7, while Tannehill has a 93.5.  

G GS Comp Att Pct Yds Avg TD Int Sck SckY Rate Att Yds Avg TD FUM Lost
2016 Kansas City Chiefs 12 12 267 397 67.3 2,831 7.1 12 5 26 134 92.7 34 56 1.6 2 6 4

Smith only had one season that was significantly different, and that was 2012 when he posted a 104 rating in his last year with the 49ers.  I fully expect that Tannehill is capable of that kind of season, and better, and for more than just one year.  

I understand the comparison.  But IMO Tannehill is already there, and I expect him to get better.  

Alex Smith has had 4 consecutive winning seasons (3 with 10+ wins) and has made the playoffs 3 of the past 4 seasons (including this season).  It's not all on the QB, of course, but he is a big part of that team's success.  Tannehill has never had a winning season and has never made the playoffs.  Maybe the Phins make the playoffs this season, but Tannehill has yet to show the long-term consistency that Smith has in recent years.

As far as QBR, Smith has posted above 90 in 5 of the last 6 seasons, and the one season he didn't he was at 89.  Tannehill has done it twice in 5 seasons.  Again - consistency year to year is something Tannehill needs to show, and hasn't yet.  He can certainly continue to grow and get better, as Bird pointed out, but until he actually does it we don't really know.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

VERY interesting article by Armando about Tannehill's knee...may not be out of the woods just yet...

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article120512268.html

Team doctors performed what is called the Lachman test that showed enough instability to cause them to believe Tannehill tore the ACL. Well, the ensuing MRI suggested Tannehill only has a sprain.
But the dicey part of all this medical jargon is that a sprain is by definition a partial tear.

So while Tannehill does not have a full rupture, his ACL is indeed partially torn. That’s in the MRI he had. And unlike the MCL that heals itself through rest and regeneration, the ACL does not regenerate.

So the only way Tannehill can get that knee stable again is by hoping scar tissue builds up in the area to cover the partial tear -- which isn’t as good as having a new ACL -- and by strengthening his quadriceps so much as to provide added stability. Tannehill would also wear a left knee brace perhaps the rest of his career to ensure even more stability.

But here is the uncomfortable part: Players who have had partially torn ligaments can be more susceptible to a complete rupture later on.

This should remind of Robert Griffin III because in 2012 that quarterback sprained his lateral collateral ligament. And after sitting out a game, Griffin returned to action with a brace. And in the playoffs he completely ruptured the LCL and his ACL and has never been the same again.

No, the Dolphins will not rush Tannehill back on the field in RG3 fashion. But they do plan to play him next season.

So if Tannehill ever takes the field with partially torn ACL that wasn’t surgically replaced, but that rather was stabilized with scar tissue and strength training, it will seem as if he was patched back together rather than rebuilt as good as new.

And that seems a hard way for anyone, even SuperQB, to stay healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:27 pm

a partial tear is better than a full even if he out for the rest of the season that means that he can get better sooner. It sucks that Miami has been put in this situation especially since Miami so close to making the playoffs this season.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:35 pm

rightchea wrote:a partial tear is better than a full even if he out for the rest of the season that means that he can get better sooner. It sucks that Miami has been put in this situation especially since Miami so close to making the playoffs this season.

Yep, it does suck.

Armando's point is that the partial tear can make the knee weak and susceptible to further, more serious injury. If it was a full tear requiring surgery, the reconstructed knee would actually end up being stronger in the long run than if it was a partial tear without surgery. Something to keep an eye on next season for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down