The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bethea as a stop gap

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Bethea as a stop gap Empty Bethea as a stop gap

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:31 am

if he can be had for what would have been his $5 to $6M cap hit (perhaps even less), is Bethea worth a 1 or 2 year deal as a stop gap next to Jones. figuring the Phins have so many holes to fill this year, why not buy another year at safety? this type of deal paid off well with Brent Grimes, but busted with Mario Williams. he's 32, but did play a full 16 games at a high level last year and since 2008, he has only missed time due to injury once. seeing as how the Phins don't seem to have another capable safety on the roster and rookie may need a year to develop, is there a downside to bringing in this reliable vet?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18848181/antoine-bethea-san-francisco-49ers-granted-release

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Bethea as a stop gap Empty Re: Bethea as a stop gap

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:16 am

We will have to add stop-gap vets at some positions, simply because of how many holes we have. Bethea has been a good player for a long time, and I wouldn't mind adding him. The only issue is that we really need a free safety and Bethea is a strong safety - I know the safety positions are more or less interchangeable in this system, but Bethea seems like a very similar player to Jones in terms of his strengths and skills. But, adding talented players isn't a bad thing.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 am

Given the affordability at the position, my preference would be to sign a long term, younger player at Safety.

We can literally pay more at DE for an overpriced, aging vet (ala Calais Campbell). Makes more sense to sign someone reasonable (like Branch), and look to the draft for blue chip talent.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 pm

white1 wrote:look to the draft for blue chip talent.

Bingo - that's it right there. But unfortunately, there's only so many draft picks - so free agency has to play a big role, and that includes veteran stopgaps.

As far as Bethea, we also have to consider IAQ's future: will he ever play again, and if so, do the Phins want him? If the answer to both is "no", than adding a younger player is the way to go. But if the Phins do plan on having IAQ as a starter in 2018, then Bethea for one year makes a lot of sense.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:11 pm

we also have to consider IAQ's future: will he ever play again, and if so, do the Phins want him?

Just my personal opinion, but this was a guy who came in with an injury rep, and surprise surprise he finished the season on IR. It would be a mistake to rely on him as a long term solution, in fact I think he was more of a stop gap.

I would solve the need with a solid player still in his prime. Even the good - very good safeties on the market will not break the bank, teams just don't pay much for them. To me, makes sense to spend the money, solve the position, and move on to all the other needs on the roster.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm

white1 wrote:
we also have to consider IAQ's future: will he ever play again, and if so, do the Phins want him?

Just my personal opinion, but this was a guy who came in with an injury rep, and surprise surprise he finished the season on IR.  It would be a mistake to rely on him as a long term solution, in fact I think he was more of a stop gap.

I would solve the need with a solid player still in his prime.  Even the good - very good safeties on the market will not break the bank, teams just don't pay much for them.  To me, makes sense to spend the money, solve the position, and move on to all the other needs on the roster.

Completely agree on IAQ, but the Phins gave him a starter's contract and they apparently do like him. This current regime doesn't seem to shy away from injury-prone players. Personally, I'd be fine just dumping IAQ right now...I just don't know what the Phins think of him.

And I definitely agree about solving the second safety (FS) position once and for all...it's been a gaping hole for years. I'd love to sign Jonathan Cyprien to a multi-year deal. But again, I just don't know what the Phins' plans are...maybe they're OK with a one-year stop-gap while they wait for IAQ???

I honestly can't get a handle on how the Tannenbaum/Grier/Gase triumverate operates. I was pretty damn confident that I knew what Fireland was going to do every step of the way, but this new front office is still a mystery. That's not a bad thing at all, but it does leave me impatient to see what will happen this offseason!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Won't happen, Bethea's not injury-prone enough.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Scott Polacek wrote:Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons will visit the Miami Dolphins "some time" after free agency officially opens, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reported Wednesday.

Fowler noted Pittsburgh has talked with the linebacker's representatives, "but he looks poised to test [the] market unless he changes his schedule."

Timmons, 30, played college football at Florida State and joined the NFL in 2007, when the Steelers used a first-round pick on him. He developed into one of the league's most consistent and durable defensive playmakers, playing all 16 games every season of his career except 2009, when he appeared in 14.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696913-lawrence-timmons-to-reportedly-visit-miami-dolphins-when-free-agency-opens

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:48 pm

The Phins are also interested in the Cards' Alex Okafor. Why are we looking at defenders that played in their careers in a 3-4? You're going to throw a bunch of money at a player that's never done what you're going to ask him to do? Makes no sense to me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am

JMP wrote:Why are we looking at defenders that played in their careers in a 3-4?  You're going to throw a bunch of money at a player that's never done what you're going to ask him to do?  Makes no sense to me.

exactly what i was thinking.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:53 pm

Bethea signed with the Cards today.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Not depressed about that.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 pm

JMP wrote:The Phins are also interested in the Cards' Alex Okafor. Why are we looking at defenders that played in their careers in a 3-4?  You're going to throw a bunch of money at a player that's never done what you're going to ask him to do?  Makes no sense to me.

Maybe they're switching to a 3-4, solving the MLB issue by erasing the position Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 am

I'll graciously allow someone else to start a thread about how they traded for William Hayes, 'cause I'm selfless like that Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:24 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'll graciously allow someone else to start a thread about how they traded for William Hayes, 'cause I'm selfless like that Cool

In before I saw your post. Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:47 am

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:I'll graciously allow someone else to start a thread about how they traded for William Hayes, 'cause I'm selfless like that Cool

In before I saw your post.   Very Happy

I'm feeling generous in my old age, what can I say? Cool Laughing

That trade must've happened really late BTW for someone not to have said *something* about it until today. You guys are human chatterboxes lately and I like it cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down