The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams

+3
white1
Birdmond
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams Empty Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:23 am

Phins get Hayes and a 7th in exchange for a 6th.  Hayes will be 32 in May and had 5 sacks in 2016.  I actually think Hayes is better than Branch.  Decent trade, but I'd still rather build through the draft than add semi-expensive aging vets.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article137637383.html

The advantages for both organizations:

The Dolphins add a solid third defensive end, and the Rams shed Hayes’ contract ahead of his $2 million roster bonus due Saturday.

While Hayes has two years left on his existing contract, in essence this is a one-year, $5.5 million deal, with a $5 million second-year option. The Dolphins can cut Hayes after the 2017 season with zero salary cap pain. The deal likely takes Miami out of the running for Jabaal Sheard, who visited the organization late Friday night but left without a contract.

Hayes ranked 11th among all edge defenders against the run last year, according to Pro Football Focus.

That ability was surely appealing to the Dolphins, who ranked 30th in run defense in 2016 (140.4 yards per game) and were tied for last in yards per carry allowed (4.Cool.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams Empty Re: Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams

Post by Birdmond Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 am

I thinks it's a great move. The Dolphins 3rd DE is basically a starter because of the rotation. I still think if BPA is a DE at 22 that will be the pick but it gives them a little more flexibility in case a safety or LB is sitting at 22 that they love.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams Empty Re: Phins acquire DE William Hayes from Rams

Post by white1 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:24 am

I'd still rather build through the draft than add semi-expensive aging vets.

Totally agree and I still think that's our approach.

We needed bodies at DE, as before this trade we had only two legitimate starters at the position in Wake and Branch. Hayes is as good as any when it comes to cheaper, experienced veterans.

If a defensive end is the best player available in round 1, I have no doubt we will select him.

Also, with our TE corps now looking quite old with Thomas / Fasano, if OJ Howard falls to us he's a real possibility too.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:42 am

Personally I think Tannenbaum's trying to cover as many bases as he can so that he doesn't go into the draft with any obvious gaping holes. Smokescreens and all that. Every time someone thinks the first pick will be at Position X, a player at that position gets signed/traded for.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 am

I would have liked this trade better if we had added Hayes and let Branch walk.  Hayes is cheaper and better.

I think DE is now off the table for the first two rounds, unless there's another Tunsil situation where a top player falls.  No point in using a high pick on a guy that's not going to play much.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 am

So we all agree that this is a good move by Miami. Branch is definitely a 2nd string player. Still hoping that Miami draft a DE to put some pressure on them.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am

Hayes had almost identical production as Branch last year and comes much cheaper. while not a "wow" signing, i feel generally positive about this solid deal. i think this also allows the Phins to slide one of the two inside next to Suh on passing downs giving a 3rd and long, pass rushing d-line of Wake, Suh, Hayes and Branch.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

Personally I think Tannenbaum's trying to cover as many bases as he can so that he doesn't go into the draft with any obvious gaping holes.

Yes, this is absolutely their approach and I believe Tannenbaum actually said as much in one of the offseason press conferences.

This approach is what allows the team to select Laremy Tunsil, a player going in they had no reason to believe would be available, but ending up as easily the best available player so they selected him.

I do not believe defensive end is off the board by any stretch of the imagination. We've got Wake who is 35, Hayes is 32, and Branch is a solid but unspectacular journeyman. If a guy is there at defensive end that we love, you have to take him. He wants to play? Fine, beat out the veteran on the depth chart in front of him. It's not like he has to outplay Jason Taylor in his prime to get a starting job. Play better than both Branch and Hayes, and Gase will give him the start. No question. Alternatively, flash some impressive pass rush moves and he'll earn time on passing downs to give the starting ends a breather.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am

I want a starter with my #1 pick, not a guy that's going to come off the bench. I doubt any rookie is going to start over a highly-paid veteran on this team. We're not paying these guys over $5 million each to sit on the sideline.

I think LB, OG, S and maybe DT are the positions that are in play with the first two picks...again, unless there is a Tunsil-like drop by a top prospect. I have no problem with taking any of those positions, but I just don't think DE will be in the mix early.

As far as Tunsil, the only thing that "allowed" the Phins to draft him was the gasmask incident. It also happened to be a need pick, so it was a no-brainer.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

JMP wrote:I want a starter with my #1 pick, not a guy that's going to come off the bench. I doubt any rookie is going to start over a highly-paid veteran on this team. We're not paying these guys over $5 million each to sit on the sideline.

I think LB, OG, S and maybe DT are the positions that are in play with the first two picks...again, unless there is a Tunsil-like drop by a top prospect. I have no problem with taking any of those positions, but I just don't think DE will be in the mix early.

As far as Tunsil, the only thing that "allowed" the Phins to draft him was the gasmask incident. It also happened to be a need pick, so it was a no-brainer.

Interesting you include DT with one of the first two picks and I don't disagree but who do you like enough in the draft at DT to take in the first two rounds.? I'm struggling to find someone.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Birdmond wrote:
Interesting you include DT with one of the first two picks and I don't disagree but who do you like enough in the draft at DT to take in the first two rounds.?  I'm struggling to find someone.  

Yeah, aside from Jonathan Allen - who looks like a big-time player to me - the DT class is pretty underwhelming. But I am intrigued by Caleb Brantley in the 1st. He plays the run well and can also get some QB pressure. In the 2nd or 3rd round, I like Jaleel Johnson, and Michigan's Chris Wormley seemed to show up every time I watched Michigan so he is on my radar as well. I think it's more likely that the Phins look at DT later in the draft, but I think any of the guys I mentioned could be good fits depending on how the draft plays out.

If the Phins are looking for a run-stuffing DT (and they should be), my target would be Dalvin Tomlinson from 'bama. Dude is a beast in the run game and could be around in the 3rd or 4th due to some ACL surgeries when he was younger. I don't envision him as a starter, but he definitely fills a need as a rotational player and could eventually push Phillips for snaps. He's a smart, motivated player and he's overcome a lot in his life. Definitely a guy I'm rooting for.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:10 pm

They are covering the bases prior to the draft I think.

Is Hayes the one from hard Knocks who did not believe dinosaurs were real?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:25 pm

finfanatic wrote:

LOL Yep, I think that's him!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:35 pm

JMP wrote:
finfanatic wrote:

LOL Yep, I think that's him!

This dude is as dumb as a door knob but at least he can play.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down