The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins re-sign William Hayes

5 posters

Go down

Phins re-sign William Hayes Empty Phins re-sign William Hayes

Post by JMP Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 pm

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins re-sign William Hayes Empty Re: Phins re-sign William Hayes

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:52 am

"Hayes might be best recalled for his outlandish views on topics such as the possible existence of mermaids and his doubts dinosaurs ever walked the earth or man ever landed on the moon."

This is all I needed to see.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:01 am

He's likely our best DE against the run. I'm okay with it.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:35 am

white1 wrote:He's likely our best DE against the run.  I'm okay with it.

Hayes is definitely the best run defender on the entire defense. But - do you really need all these DEs taking up a HUGE chunk of the salary cap? There's only so many snaps to go around. We now have 4 right DEs and 1 left DE, and we have approximately $32.5 million of cap money tied up in 4 DEs plus whatever Hayes is getting. That's ridiculous. Such poor planning when there are glaring holes at other positions.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:11 am

But - do you really need all these DEs taking up a HUGE chunk of the salary cap? There's only so many snaps to go around. We now have 4 right DEs and 1 left DE, and we have approximately $32.5 million of cap money tied up in 4 DEs plus whatever Hayes is getting. That's ridiculous. Such poor planning when there are glaring holes at other positions.

Yeah. My views on the cap have really changed. If you've got the cap space, who are you spending it on?

I really don't like this class of free agents, and I hate the idea of constantly throwing huge contracts at the players other teams have decided are expendable.

If I had to really STRETCH, I'd say we have two more years until we need to think about handing out big dollars to X Howard, assuming he continues to improve and becomes a player worth the money. Corner is a spot worth paying for, just like DE, QB and LT.

Tunsil MIGHT be another near term target. But meh!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 am

white1 wrote:
But - do you really need all these DEs taking up a HUGE chunk of the salary cap? There's only so many snaps to go around. We now have 4 right DEs and 1 left DE, and we have approximately $32.5 million of cap money tied up in 4 DEs plus whatever Hayes is getting. That's ridiculous. Such poor planning when there are glaring holes at other positions.

Yeah.  My views on the cap have really changed.  If you've got the cap space, who are you spending it on?

I really don't like this class of free agents, and I hate the idea of constantly throwing huge contracts at the players other teams have decided are expendable.

If I had to really STRETCH, I'd say we have two more years until we need to think about handing out big dollars to X Howard, assuming he continues to improve and becomes a player worth the money.  Corner is a spot worth paying for, just like DE, QB and LT.

Tunsil MIGHT be another near term target. But meh!

Yeah, it's interesting to look ahead...who are the players on their first contract that we'll be banging the table to keep in a couple of years? Sadly, there's not many.

The most notable player coming up soon is Parker. Will the team exercise their option to keep him in 2019 or will they let him become a FA? Will they extend him? Or will they cut him? He needs to have a BIG season to make me even think of keeping him beyond 2018.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

I guess signing Hayes might be a sign for Branch, which was a horrible signing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm

JMP wrote:
The most notable player coming up soon is Parker. Will the team exercise their option to keep him in 2019 or will they let him become a FA?  Will they extend him?  Or will they cut him?  He needs to have a BIG season to make me even think of keeping him beyond 2018.

If Parker has a great year this year, I'd still dump him. Contract years are notorious for underachievers trying to get paid, and this kid seems like he doesn't have the ticker for it. I could see him easily having a bust-out year, and then never recreating it again, until 3 years later, when the first set of options kick in.

I'm cynical though.

Also, I'm realistic, and there's some weighty evidence backing up my thoughts.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Never draft a WR in the 1st round unless he is an overwhelming talent IMO. Otherwise, get them later.

Parker NEVER should have been drafted that high IMO.

Hayes....meh.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 pm

i say draft a WR in the swcond or third round there are a lot coming out this year and wont be surprised if you can find a good one in one of those rounds

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down