The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

+8
rightchea
Degarmo
JEGnj
HalCHorn
Birdmond
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
white1
12 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?  - Page 5 Empty Re: Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 am

DolFan 316 wrote:BTW the only person who'd have been more unhappy than me if Kaepernick had been signed is Armando.

and don't forget Kiko Alonso. he had some pretty choice words from Kaepernick last year and then tried to bend him in half on the game saving tackle.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?  - Page 5 Empty Re: Tannehill leaves with knee injury - do you want Matt Moore or Kaepernick?

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 am

JMP wrote:Matt Moore must be pissed as hell right about now.

you're probably right, i would imagine he is very disappointed he's not being handed the starters job. but the reason the Phins didn't hand it too him - or at least the spin they are putting on it...

The concern the Dolphins have is Moore’s ability to stay healthy for 16 games.

The fact is Moore last year was knocked out of games not once but twice. It happened in the preseason and then it happened against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article165740627.html

but given Miami's o-line, i wouldn't get too upset Matt. i'm certain Cutler will get hurt before the year is over and you'll be the starter probably sooner rather than later.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 am

mercury22nathan wrote:and don't forget Kiko Alonso.  he had some pretty choice words from Kaepernick last year and then tried to bend him in half on the game saving tackle.

I didn't forget. Players tend to be the biggest hypocrites ever over this sort of thing, though. Like when everybody welcomes back The Quitter with open arms after what he pulled in '04 and acted like he was their BFF. I guarantee you if Kaepernick had signed Alonso would've made a big show about how fine he was with it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:11 am

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:43 am

Interesting read on SI regarding Cutler, and the future of Tannehill in Miami.

Answered one immediate question I had: Zero guaranteed money left on the Tannehill contract. If we want to go another direction, there's no contract stopping us.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/06/jay-cutler-miami-dolphins-ryan-tannehill-contract-adam-gase-2018
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 pm

[quote="white1"Zero guaranteed money left on the Tannehill contract. [/quote]

WOW! That is very interesting. I didn't know that. It'll be really interesting to see what happens next offseason. I'd have to think that Gase would love to bring in his own QB instead of trying to rebuild a 30 year old banged up Tannehill. But who knows???

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:40 am

JMP wrote:Matt Moore must be pissed as hell right about now. He finally gets a chance to start...and Gase goes out and gets a 34 year old retiree with a bad shoulder and a horrible resume to replace him. LOL

I'm betting he's relieved. He strikes me as the guy who understands making 5 million for doing nothing is a good thing. BUT I'll bet anyone on the site Moore plays as much or more than Cutler do to injury. In fact I'll wager they both get hurt before week 8.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 am

JMP wrote:[quote="white1"Zero guaranteed money left on the Tannehill contract.

WOW! That is very interesting. I didn't know that. It'll be really interesting to see what happens next offseason. I'd have to think that Gase would love to bring in his own QB instead of trying to rebuild a 30 year old banged up Tannehill. But who knows???[/quote]

Cousins wants WAY to much but I'd give him Tanny's contract in a second.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:42 am

The Dolphins by the comparative statistics have not lost any ground to anyone in losing Tannehill and adding Cutler. Sure, Tannehill takes fewer sacks and protects the football better. But Cutler is a better deep thrower and perhaps a bit more instinctive.

And there is the exciting possibility Cutler might be as good as Tannehill and perhaps even a bit better. That could be a scenario we’re talking about in November. Maybe the Dolphins did the unthinkable and upgraded when their starting quarterback went down in August.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article165971317.html

Armando's making the argument that Cutler is actually an upgrade to Tannehill and the team might indeed be better off now. thoughts?

i know one person who would agree with him... so what does Miko have to say about all of this? (yes, that is sarcasm)

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 am

Well we will have to hope that is the case. A good season from Cutler would set us up very nicely going into the 2018 draft.

Here's a dream scenario for me:

- Cutler signs a 3 year extension after 2017, because of the success he had in our offense. Average somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14 million per year, last year is likely for contract purposes only, he plays 2 more years realistically.
- Tannehill is rehabbing well from the knee surgery, and the team picks up his 2018 option year. At approx $20 million, still a bargain for a starting QB in his prime. This leads to the team trading Tannehill to a QB-starved team with playoff aspirations and a good defense. The new team can either leave the contract in place with 2019 and 2020 "option years", or negotiate a fresh deal with Tannehill. Given he is coming off surgery, his leverage here is limited.
- Miami trades up in the 2018 draft to grab the QB of the future. The plan is to start Cutler until the QB is ready to start himself. Or rush him into action in the event of an injury to Cutler.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:05 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
The Dolphins by the comparative statistics have not lost any ground to anyone in losing Tannehill and adding Cutler. Sure, Tannehill takes fewer sacks and protects the football better. But Cutler is a better deep thrower and perhaps a bit more instinctive.

And there is the exciting possibility Cutler might be as good as Tannehill and perhaps even a bit better. That could be a scenario we’re talking about in November. Maybe the Dolphins did the unthinkable and upgraded when their starting quarterback went down in August.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article165971317.html

Armando's making the argument that Cutler is actually an upgrade to Tannehill and the team might indeed be better off now.  thoughts?

i know one person who would agree with him...  so what does Miko have to say about all of this?  (yes, that is sarcasm)

I usually like Armando, but this is nothing but a fluff piece. Tannehill isn't exactly a world-beater, but at this stage he's better than Cutler in every way. To think that a guy coming out of retirement and coming off a significant shoulder injury is going to step in and be an upgrade is wishful thinking at best. It's far more likely that Cutler gets hurt and/or plays like crap.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am

Reading practice reports from today..... hate to totally agree with Armando but it sounds like Cutler was "wowing" people with his throws.

Thomas caught a 20 yard touchdown on beautiful seam route, first meaningful deep play all camp.

Also, Cutler threw a 40 yard bomb to Grant for a TD. His arm is showing *zero* rust.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am

Cutler holds most of the Bears passing records. Not bad for a shitty QB.

That other guy people wanted to sign because PC, on the other hand, was 3-16 as a starter the past 2 seasons.

Just sayin' Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 am

white1 wrote:Reading practice reports from today..... hate to totally agree with Armando but it sounds like Cutler was "wowing" people with his throws.  

Cutler has always had a strong arm - that's never been an issue. Problem is, he's inaccurate and makes horrible decisions. Tigers don't change their stripes.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:10 am

white1 wrote:
Here's a dream scenario for me:

- Cutler signs a 3 year extension after 2017, because of the success he had in our offense.  Average somewhere in the neighborhood of 12-14 million per year, last year is likely for contract purposes only, he plays 2 more years realistically.

Not debating whether this will happen, or not, but 12-14 mil for a starting QB these days is just not realistic. Even a crappy starter nowadays is in the 15-18 mil range. Quite a few are in the 18-22 range.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Probably the best analysis of the new situation at QB suddenly, with great statistical contrast of Cutler vs Tannehill.

Worth a read: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/miami-dolphins-jay-cutler-ryan-tannehill-comparison-contract-adam-gase/ns2srexdzl941gd8hufmwafy2
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:31 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:Reading practice reports from today..... hate to totally agree with Armando but it sounds like Cutler was "wowing" people with his throws.  

Cutler has always had a strong arm - that's never been an issue.  Problem is, he's inaccurate and makes horrible decisions.  Tigers don't change their stripes.

I have to agree. Practice and training camp is more about learning the plays. I want to see what he is like in his first preseason game and then I will make my judgment of Cutler. At the same time, this is probably the best thing for Thomas.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Not to be mean but all of this has made me realize how little I enjoy watching Ryan Tannehill play.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Cutler is what he is.

I'm sure a lot of folks thought Jeff George was going to be great when he came to their team too, but he wasn't. Cutler = George.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 am

Birdmond wrote:Not to be mean but all of this has made me realize how little I enjoy watching Ryan Tannehill play.

That's not mean, that's delightfully wicked Twisted Evil

Tannehill will likely never have the same mobility again, and that's for starters. Without the mobility he'll never be as good as he was, let alone get better. QBs may be playing longer than ever now, but that doesn't mean they routinely start getting much better after age 30.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if next season Cutler was in and Tanny was out.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 am

I wouldn't be shocked at all if next season Cutler was in and Tanny was out.

I'm already starting to think that would be the smart way to go. Especially given the QB class projected to declare for the 2018 draft. Sounds like it could be the perfect time to pull the trigger on drafting our next QB of the future.

If we can get something for Tanny in trade... all the better. If not just release him.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 am

FINALLY Tannehill agrees to surgery--about 9 months after he should've had it.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article166844007.html

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:22 pm

It's insane that people want Cutler over Tannehill...just can't wrap my head around that.  I'm not the world's biggest Tannehill fan, but Cutler is a waste of time.

Last edited by JMP on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 pm

JMP wrote:It's insane that people want Cutler over Tannehill...just can't warp my head around hat.  I'm not the world's biggest Tannehill fan, but Cutler is a waste of time.

Give 'em time. They'll figure it out.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 pm

It's not a matter of wanting Cutler over Tannehill. It's a matter of you having broken up with the woman you were with, and getting on with your life as opposed to moping around alone 24/7. Cutler's here, he's the starter, and that's the case regardless of how people feel so I've decided I might as well live with it and see where it goes, especially since the Tannehill thing has run its course. He'll never be as mobile as he was, and that means he'll never be as good as he was, which was average at best. This team would be a fool not to cut him loose if not next season than the one after. Again, I don't "hate" Tannehill, he gave it his best shot, it just didn't work out.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next