The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved

+2
scotgif
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved Empty Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:00 am

“For some reason, whatever, they benched me,” he said. “But in no way, shape, did I think my play [warranted] that. It's a coach's decision. Sometimes you have to deal with it. I'm a team player. Suck it up. Obviously, you think you're the best man to do the job. You can't control it. Everyone is trying to support your family trying to do the job.”

“It’s hard,” Maxwell said. “You’ve got to take the punches and roll with them.”

Was it unfair? “I don't want to go there,” Maxwell said.

Maxwell said his hamstring tightened up in warmups before the Saints game and he couldn’t have played anyway; he was inactive for the game.

But Maxwell’s injury had nothing to do with his benching.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article177048771.html

dud, Byron, have you looked at the tape? have you seen how you've been playing? even your DC has been saying in the papers that you need to lineup tighter. hello, wake up!!

hmm, i can just imagine that the second he found out he wasn't starting, he hatched this plan in his head to have a "tight" hamstring in warmups.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved Empty Re: Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved

Post by scotgif Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:17 am

He wasn't playing the press coverage that the coaching staff had asked him to. That is as much the reason he was benched, as was his sub par results. I'm sure we will see him this week, with Howard's injury, but, he should be a much better player than what we have gotten out of him.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved Empty Re: Maxwell doesn't believe benching deserved

Post by white1 Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am

For whatever reason he doesn't seem to "get it".

Not worth further time and investment. 2017 is his last season, and if Lippett had not gotten hurt we may have cut him in August.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:36 pm

I call bullshit. All 4 DBs have been playing off coverage - not just Maxwell. It certainly doesn't look like the coaches wanted anyone playing press.

What I get from all this is that Burke is in over his head and doesn't know what he's doing.

Maxwell has not been good - but neither have Jones, Howard, Thomas, McCain and especially Allen. If all of these guys are being asked to press but none of them actually are, that's on the coach.

And let me be clear - I have no problem with Maxwell getting benched. I want Tank starting, and I hated the Maxwell acquisition from day one. But to me, this is nothing more than Maxwell being thrown under the bus for what in actuality is a problem with the scheme/coaching.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 am

Maxwell played poorly while failing to play defenses called by the coaching staff.
You know how everyone wondered why he didn’t play press-man very much against the Jets? Why he bailed out at the snap of the ball or was five-to-six yards off receivers on seemingly every play?
Dolphins coaches were also wondering. Because they called for him to be playing press man a good amount of those plays against the Jets.
Except Maxwell apparently decided to play different technique on his own. Maybe it was because he thought he saw something. Maybe it was because he didn’t want to let the receiver get behind him. Maybe it was because he was lacking confidence.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article177152871.html

yes, all the DBs have been playing poorly, but all but Maxwell were at least attempting to do as the scheme dictated (albeit poorly).

Verner is not necessarily better than Maxwell. Yes, Maxwell gave up catches against the Jets. But Verner got into that game and gave up a 69-yard touchdown on his second play of the afternoon. He got toasted for a deep pass, which is the mortal sin for an NFL cornerback.
But because Verner played the coverages and techniques coaches asked him to play, Verner is ahead of Maxwell now.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:39 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
yes, all the DBs have been playing poorly, but all but Maxwell were at least attempting to do as the scheme dictated (albeit poorly).

Still not buying it. Why does Howard play so far off receivers? Why are the safeties way off in outer space?

It's a scheme issue. Maxwell sucks, but he's not the reason the pass D is failing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I not to worried about the Safeties since they not as fast as the WR so I not surprise they play so far off but Howard has been playing close so did Tank but it was only certain plays. Maxwell is slow and can't keep up with the coverage. McCain sucks as well but at least he been playing heads up

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Tight Hamstring, Loose Coverage - The Life of Vernon Maxwell - it's a good read. I mean, the first quarter of the book is slow, but then it picks up.

I guess this is the part of the season where Maxwell gets angry, gets back on the field and plays good-ish football for the remainder of the season.  Gotta love these guys who make the money they do and can't seem to get themselves properly motivated to put their all into their profession.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:44 pm

Degarmo wrote:Tight Hamstring, Loose Coverage - The Life of Vernon Maxwell - it's a good read.  I mean, the first quarter of the book is slow, but then it picks up.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy A true literary classic!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down