The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back up QB

+3
rightchea
JMP
CarsonChris
7 posters

Go down

Back up QB Empty Back up QB

Post by CarsonChris Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 pm

Should Miami dump Osweiller and go with Fales? Osweiller is wasted money at this point.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Back up QB Empty Re: Back up QB

Post by JMP Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Fales is clearly the #2, and it's not even close. Petty sucks, and Osweiler is absolutely awful - total waste. I don't like Fales at all, but he gets the job by default.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I have to agree, Osweiler can't compete with Fales and Petty isn't worth the money. Unfortunately Miami will find a way to keep more than 2 horrible QB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 am

Watching this Jests game: for the life of me, can someone explain to me why Teddy Bridgewater was never considered for a deal here? You can not tell me that Fales, Osweiler or Petty has the long term potential that Bridgewater has. Hell, I'm not so damn sure he isn't better than Tanny, right now, and he's five years younger.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 am

HalCHorn wrote:Watching this Jests game:  for the life of me, can someone explain to me why Teddy Bridgewater was never considered for a deal here?  You can not tell me that Fales, Osweiler or Petty has the long term potential that Bridgewater has.  Hell, I'm not so damn sure he isn't better than Tanny, right now, and he's five years younger.

Tannenbaum will give the Jets next year's first for Bridgewater soon enough. I'm guessing it'll happen in a week or so. Being completely serious.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am

HalCHorn wrote:Watching this Jests game:  for the life of me, can someone explain to me why Teddy Bridgewater was never considered for a deal here?

he was indeed considered.

The Dolphins had interest in quarterback Teddy Bridgewater before he signed with the Jets but he was too pricey for their liking. He’s making $5 million for one year with the Jets, with potential to make a lot more through incentives.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article216509430.html

Bridgewater wanted more money that Miami was willing to give, and more importantly, he wanted a guaranteed chance to compete for the starting job - something he would not get in Miami, unless of course Tannehill got hurt again. he thought he was for sure going to get the starting job in NY, but then Darnold showed up and now Teddy wants out. but don't expect the Dolphins to look at him this time around.

The Jets might trade him, but paying that contract and yielding a draft pick would be unappealing for Miami unless a big need develops. And that big need has not developed to this point, with Tannehill healthy and David Fales giving the Dolphins solid work in reserve.

again, unless something happens to Tanny.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:09 am

Just patting myself on the back a little. Smile  I have been championing Bridgewater for some time.  When he signed elsewhere for just $5 million I couldn't believe we wouldn't pony up that along with a chance to compete.

I still think he's better than what we have and very possibly a franchise QB still.  I guess we will see.  Unfortunately, he'll do it somewhere else and we will likely still be looking for a QB five years from now.  And a coach.

Last edited by HalCHorn on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:15 am

Yeah, I still think Bridgewater is going to be a very good QB. Very smart move by the Jets signing him, and now they'll likely get a decent draft pick for him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:58 pm

It's evident to me that the Dolphins do not value the most-important guy on the field.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:08 pm

This TC marks about the 19th consecutive year that I am sitting here wondering what the Hell these guys are doing/thinking.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:35 am

All that said, after watching the fourth preseason game, Osweiler has to be the guy from the shitty options we have. He's simply a better and more talented QB than Fales.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:48 am

Yeah, from what I heard Osweiler looked sharp last night. I'd still go with Fales - he seems like more of a potential big-play QB than both Tannehill and Osweiler. Not as talented as either one, but at least if he comes off the bench you have a chance for a quick score - much like Matt Moore.

But I don't care either way - both backups suck and we need Tannehill to stay healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am

JMP wrote:Yeah, from what I heard Osweiler looked sharp last night.

admittedly, yes indeed Osweiler did look good last night. 106.6 passer rating good.

But Osweiler was excellent, finally looking like the player that convinced the Texans to give him a four-year, $72 million contract in 2016.

He completed 16 of 25 passes for 147 yards and a two touchdowns, the second of which came on a beautiful back-shoulder pass to Francis Owusu from 14 yards. More importantly, he directed scoring drives on three of the Dolphins’ first four possessions.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article217591590.html

the whole offense looked good last night. so now this may be the worst thing that could've happened. in the course of a few hours, all the local papers are touting that Miami (and their depth) isn't nearly as bad as we've all been thinking. and the scary things is, i think the team believes this. so we have one preseason game with and against mostly guys who won't be in the league within the next 48 hours - and now all the Dolphins' problems are solved. arrrggghhh!

but wait, perhaps one truly positive thing may indeed have come out of last nights game.

And he did it with Loggains, the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator, in his ear. Adam Gase ceded play-calling duties for one night, and Loggains found a rhythm with power running, short passes, play action and bootlegs.

is there any chance Gase may take this as a learning lesson and realize he needs to be the HC - of the entire team - and not just a glorified (albeit unsuccessful) playcaller? is there any chance Gase will hand over playcalling duties so he can focus (or even watch) the whole team? nah, who am i kidding?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:58 am

Osweiler said, when asked what was different Thursday night. “I think we played with a great tempo. We were playing really fast. Calls were coming in fast from the coordinator. And we had a lot of fun. It was a lot of fun.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article217627135.html

looks like Brock has his opinion. but be careful Mr. Osweiler, this kind of talk just might get you cut.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:36 am

Loggains didn't do much with the Bears, but then again neither did Gase when he was there. Of course, Gase hasn't done much with the Dolphins' offense either in two years...so who knows. I'd welcome a change in playcalling for sure, but Gase seems like too much of an egomaniac to give up the playcalling entirely.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down