The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harris likely to succeed?

+2
JMP
mercury22nathan
6 posters

Go down

Harris likely to succeed? Empty Harris likely to succeed?

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 am

will Charles Harris turn the corner this year?

So how concerned should the Dolphins be that Charles Harris produced just two sacks and 19 tackles in 15 games (and 496 defensive snaps) as a rookie?

If Harris — the 22nd overall pick in 2017 — was going to be a high-end pass rusher, wouldn’t he have shown more as a rookie than merely two sacks in 309 pass rushing opportunities?

I explored the historical precedent for this, studying every defensive end selected in the first round over a 10-year period from 2005 through 2014.

The bad news: The majority of the high-quality pass rushing defensive ends selected in the first round, as Harris was, produced better pass rushing stats — often much better — than Harris did. And most of the first-round defensive ends that generated rookie sack numbers as modest as Harris’ last year did not become quality NFL pass rushers.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article217313120.html

probably not.

so what's his deal?

Harris believes he will be better because he’s “playing free” and every day is now “less of a burden.” Becoming more religious was one reason for that.

Harris said he was “in a dark place last year.” Why?

“A new environment and adjusting to having wealth, not knowing how to deal with it. Now, I have an understanding. I felt like I was confused last year a lot, but now I understand why everything has happened the way it did and I’m blessed for it, and I understand it. I’m using my talents and not burying them. I feel like last season I buried them. I’m a different player.”

The trade for Robert Quinn suggests the Dolphins weren’t convinced Harris is ready to become an NFL starter. He will need to buck the odds if he’s to become a high-end pass rusher despite underwhelming rookie stats.

oh boy.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Harris likely to succeed? Empty Re: Harris likely to succeed?

Post by JMP Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 am

I think Harris is too slow and not athletic enough to ever become a dominant pass rusher. He's just a part-time player in this defense, so it's unlikely that he'll have a big season this year. Branch and Hayes (assuming he gets healthy) are both much better run defenders than Harris, so they will likely see the field before Harris most of the time. To me, Harris looks like a guy you put in for a play or two when the veterans need a quick rest. Very disappointing for a first rounder.

The Quinn trade is yet another example of how the Phins have to spend tons of money on veterans to make up for poor drafting.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Tak McKinley went four picks later to the Falcons.

Looks like that was the better pick. What a surprise.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:13 pm

white1 wrote:Tak McKinley went four picks later to the Falcons.

Looks like that was the better pick.  What a surprise.

You forgot about Evan Engram being taken with the very next pick. All he did was lead all rookie TEs in receptions, yards and TDs for a 3-win team. Think he couldn't have helped last year? Bad drafting not only leads to having to sign expensive FAs, it also creates a domino effect in which teams have to spend future picks to correct past mistakes. If Engram is drafted then there's no need to draft Gesicki this year which means that pick could've been spent to address another problem.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:43 am

Moving past the first round in 2017, picking McMillan over Zach Cunningham looks even worse in round two up to this point.

As for Harris, hell, fourth round pick Carl Lawson started his career with 8.5 sacks last season and already looks like the better DE by far.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:23 am

HalCHorn wrote:Moving past the first round in 2017, picking McMillan over Zach Cunningham looks even worse in round two up to this point.

As for Harris, hell, fourth round pick Carl Lawson started his career with 8.5 sacks last season and already looks like the better DE by far.

Yep, Lawson WAS Auburn's defense.

I still have SOME hope for Harris, but usually, if they do not show the "flash" then the player is never gonna be anything other than a journeyman.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down