The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good article on OL woes

4 posters

Go down

Good article on OL woes Empty Good article on OL woes

Post by scotgif Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:40 am

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-up-close-study-phins-blocking-against-jags/

He brings out a lot of good points here. Very in-depth study.

A few things that stand out:

* A lot of these breakdowns are just ONE guy missing his assignment, not a complete failure.
* Dewayne Allen (supposedly a good blocker) has been terrible.
*Jesse Davis continues to struggle. Nice guy, but always seemingly getting beat.
*The rookie guards, up and down, as most rookies are.
* We will definitely be scanning the waiver wire once the cuts come in. Problem is, there will be little time for continuity. But, do we really want continuity with the present group? I think not.
*Although we will be greatly improved when Tunsil comes back, let's not think he is some savior for all our O Line woes. He will help, but can not mask the shortcomings of too many of the other guys on the line.

#1: RG Shaq Calhoun allows a defender deep into the backfield. He struggled with Run Blocking in college.
#2: TE Dwayne Allen overshoots on his motion and misses the key block on Josh Allen
#3: Wayyyy-back up, LT Sterup misses his spring block
#4 RG Shaq Calhoun chases the switch on the stunt to the outside and doesn’t support the under, inside rusher who gets penetration.
#5: TE Smythe can’t seal or eject the outside defender and Dieter loses control of his interior linemen.
#6: Blocked perfectly… except WR Ford who misses his block
#7: Dieter loses and puts Fitzpatrick on the run… Fitz ran a lot. Sometimes he ran for the right reasons and more because of shadows.
#8: Smythe again allows the edge to collapse
Tight End blocking was expected to be at least solid… It hasn’t been
#9: Fitzpatrick ‘does the happy feet’. Gesicki is coming across the middle (out of pic) free, instead of stepping up and throwing the pass he doesn’t trust the protection and runs into a sack.
#10: (see #4) This was a lot of cutting and pasting… oopsie, doubled up.
11# This isn’t another double, but this is Fitz with the happy feet, again. He drops his hands and is ready to run instead of climbing the ladder and hitting Ballage coming across the middle, open.
#12: TE Allen missing another block… hope it’s rust because so far, he’s been terrible.
#13: TE Allen bypasses edge defender to get upfield and Deiter gets blown up.
#14: Deiter gets beat, but Fitz gets the pass off by sitting tight.
#15: RT Davis lost the edge and Deiter is beaten inside so Fitz can’t step up.
#16: Fitz has a clean pocket and makes the ansty read… not the right one with the LB shooting that hard.
#17: Ballage gets tunnel vision, gets caught in the pile, and bounces outside too late.
#18: Davis would likely have ridden the rusher wide, but Fitz can’t climb the ladder to hit Allen because Deiter is beaten again.

scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Good article on OL woes Empty Re: Good article on OL woes

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:39 pm

I wouldn’t mind an offensive line draft next year. After we take a QB!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm

I think the rookie guards will be OK in time...but it may take a few weeks. Hopefully they'll be ready when Rosen gets the starting job in week 6! Wink

RT is the weakest link IMO. Gotta find someone that can play.

The TEs have been absolutely awful as blockers so far. Allen should be fine once he gets back into game shape, but I don't have much hope for the others as blockers.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:52 am

Agree. I see Allen staying in to block quite a bit, in order to help out our RT. Tunsil will be fine on the island at LT.

Rosenhaus "guessed" Rosen will be named week 1 starter. Someone said that he makes educated guesses, this is interesting...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am

BTW, speaking of blocking...I'm just not impressd with Smythe at all. H was drafted primarily to be a blocker, but I'm not seeing it. He wasn't particulrly good as a rookie, and I haven't noticed much if any improvement in pre-season. Interestingly, I see some potential as a receiver...but as a blocker, IMO he is not where he needs to be. As I said elsewhere, I'd prefer to practice squad him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down