The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins

+6
JEGnj
DolFan 316
Degarmo
rightchea
finfanatic
JMP
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Well, another week, another pathetic performance by the Dolphins, this time a 43-0 loss to the Patriots. Get used to it, because it’s just the beginning.

The defense actually played a bit better today, not that it showed up in the stats, but they just got completely gassed after being on the field for 36 and a half minutes.

The story of the game was the offense, or lack thereof, of the Dolphins. They literally did nothing positive, gaining less than 200 yards and 11 first downs, and holding the ball for less than 24 minutes – and most of those stats occurred in 4th quarter garbage time. The OL was mostly awful, especially in run blocking, and Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn’t do anything, throwing 3 picks – 2 of which were pick 6’s (one was a horrific pass into traffic, the other was a horrific Kalen Ballage miscue).

Not much else to say, other than this: whether he is ready or not, Josh Rosen must be named the starting QB next week. Fitzpatrick just isn’t going to get anything done with this OL, so it’s time for the game-time development of Rosen to begin. Rosen was completely ineffective today, but he needs to be the starter moving forward. He threw a gorgeous deep bomb to Jakeem Grant at one point, but Grant dropped it. Then he threw another gorgeous deep bomb to Preston Williams on the other side of the field two plays later, but Williams dropped it. It was that kind of day for the Dolphins. But those two plays alone showed me that Rosen needs a chance. As a sidenote, Rosen injured his left knee on a late hit out of bounds that was not flagged, but he actually stayed in the game, displaying big-time toughness.

Anyway, the journey to 0-16 is underway. Buckle up and hold on tight, because it’s not going to be a smooth ride.

Hero of the Game: None. Absolutely no one stood out.

Goat of the Game: Kalen Ballage – 2 drops (one of which led to a pick 6), horrible route running…just a cut-worthy performance all around. Disgusting.

Beer of the Game: Heineken

Tua Watch: Future Dolphins’ QB Tua Tagovailoa went 28 for 36 with 444 yards and 5 TDs in Alabama’s 47-23 win over South Carolina.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Re: Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by finfanatic Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Yeah, I watched the 1st 3 qtrs and then CBS, mercifully....switched to Bills - Giants.

The defense showed some fortitude for a while. If the offense had been able to do ANYTHING...

Just a total mess. And while it is obvious the O-line blows chunks, the play calling has been astoundingly dumb IMO. How many times did they run on 3rd and long right up the gut. How about a misdirection play or two... a toss sweep... an end around maybe...

The Pats LBs looked like they knew what the call was going to be from the formation!!

At what point do you start to ask "Is it the coaching?" Even with atrocious talent, the Phins O should have been better than they showed early on IMO.

I bet the local Fox station shows Dolphins - Cowboys next week....the sadists!

Very Happy

Go Phins!!!

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins Empty Re: Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:50 pm

finfanatic wrote:Yeah, I watched the 1st 3 qtrs and then CBS, mercifully....switched to Bills - Giants.

The defense showed some fortitude for a while. If the offense had been able to do ANYTHING...

Just a total mess. And while it is obvious the O-line blows chunks, the play calling has been astoundingly dumb IMO. How many times did they run on 3rd and long right up the gut. How about a misdirection play or two... a toss sweep... an end around maybe...

The Pats LBs looked like they knew what the call was going to be from the formation!!

At what point do you start to ask "Is it the coaching?"  Even with atrocious talent, the Phins O should have been better than they showed early on IMO.

I bet the local Fox station shows Dolphins - Cowboys next week....the sadists!

Very Happy

Go Phins!!!

Really hard to blame the coaches when Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB, with a horrible OL, no real RB, a completely unproven WR corps and garbage TEs. This offensive roster is AWFUL. They really don't have a chance, and I can't think of anything the coaches might have done differently today that would have changed anything. Usually I'm all over coaching, but I just don't see how anything can be accomplished with this group of players. All you can do is hope Parker and Williams turn some of their dropped passes into receptions, and maybe that opens things up a bit. Otherwise, pray that the OL somehow comes together.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:01 pm

this sounds like almost every year. No one in Miami hasn't figure out how to find a above average offense or defensive. Also heard rumor Miami shopping Drake

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Could be looking at all-time levels of terrible here.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:32 pm

JMP wrote:Really hard to blame the coaches when Ryan Fitzpatrick is the QB, with a horrible OL, no real RB, a completely unproven WR corps and garbage TEs.  This offensive roster is AWFUL.  They really don't have a chance, and I can't think of anything the coaches might have done differently today that would have changed anything.  Usually I'm all over coaching, but I just don't see how anything can be accomplished with this group of players.

We all know why you're not "all over the coaching" this time. Of course it's this very same coach and GM who are determined to run off the tiny handful of NFL-worthy players left but let's ignore that, shall we? Laughing

Degarmo wrote:Could be looking at all-time levels of terrible here.

COULD BE?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ah shit, I took the bait didn't I? Embarassed Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:13 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

We all know why you're not "all over the coaching" this time. Of course it's this very same coach and GM who are determined to run off the tiny handful of NFL-worthy players left but let's ignore that, shall we?  Laughing

No idea what you're talking about, but feel free to tell me instead of playing games.

The reason I'm not killing the coaching staff is because this was all expected. Almost everyone expected this to be a bottom 5 team, with most people expecting THE worst team. And that's exactly what's happening...so why is anyone surprised? This season was designed to be a throwaway due to the gutting of the roster. This is what I've wanted to happen for years, so I'm going to ride it out and wait to see what happens next offseason.

And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me who all these great players are that were "run off". Tunsil is the ONLY one, and by trading him we have the opportunity to turn the franchise around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Absolutely disgusting. I know we need to rebuild but this sucks.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:26 pm

JEGnj wrote:Absolutely disgusting. I know we need to rebuild but this sucks.

It absolutely sucks. But if this season helps turn us into a contender it will all be worth it. Time will tell!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Thinking back, it's hard to believe the score was only 16-0 late in the 3rd quarter. It's a shame the offense was so pathetic...the D really did everything they could to keep the game in reach, but the offense just never showed up.

At least the D has something to build on moving forward...even if it ended in brutal fashion. Baby steps!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 am

This kind of rebuild is not a one-year thing. IF they do it RIGHT, then we're 3 years away from an early championship.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 am

rightchea wrote:Also heard rumor Miami shopping Drake

Man, coaches really do hate Drake.

He never got a look when Ajayi was here, and then when Ajayi was traded the starting job was handed to Damian Williams (and then Williams got hurt).

Then when it looked like Drake had secured the starting job, the Phins made him a backup behind Gore.

This year it seemed like the job was all Drake's - but then Ballage started the first 2 games.

I'm not the world's biggest Kenyan Drake fan and I don't think he's all that good, but damn...he just keeps getting shafted. I'm starting to wonder if he's a really awful practice player - that could be why no coach seems to trust him.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get traded, though his value has to be very low at this point.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

evaluating this team's performance is next to impossible. its like this year is going to be one long preseason with players in and out of the lineup to see who is worth keeping for next year. and while i gotta think there are ways to rebuild a team while at least appearing to be competitive, if this is the way the Phins have chosen to do it, then i guess so be it. but i must say, the offensive line is probably (no, not probably - definitely) the worst offensive line i have ever witnessed in professional football. i kind of feel bad for Jessie Davis. he'd make a decent back up at OG, but he is not a LT. so i am not sure i can blame him for his pathetic play. he didn't ask to be put at LT. i just don't get some of decisions along the O-line. what's the point of inserting FA garbage while young developing players ride the pine. if the staff is afraid the young players aren't ready to play, nothing will let them grow like game experience. and if they fail, well, how is that result any different than how the FA castoffs are performing? even when Isidora was yanked, he was replaced by Boehm while Calhoun sat and watched. once Davenport went to IR, they scrambled to sign and insert ineffective Webb. why not give Prince (not active) a shot? can he be that much worse? i'm just not sure what the plan on the O-line is?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:52 am

JMP wrote:
rightchea wrote:Also heard rumor Miami shopping Drake

Man, coaches really do hate Drake.  

He never got a look when Ajayi was here, and then when Ajayi was traded the starting job was handed to Damian Williams (and then Williams got hurt).

Then when it looked like Drake had secured the starting job, the Phins made him a backup behind Gore.

This year it seemed like the job was all Drake's - but then Ballage started the first 2 games.

I'm not the world's biggest Kenyan Drake fan and I don't think he's all that good, but damn...he just keeps getting shafted.  I'm starting to wonder if he's a really awful practice player - that could be why no coach seems to trust him.  

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him get traded, though his value has to be very low at this point.

the team has denied any interest in wanting to trade Drake. of course they said that about Tunsil too.

He’s unhappy with his role on the team, multiple sources tell the Miami Herald.

Fox Sports reported before Sunday’s game that the Dolphins have had “trade talks with teams this week.” A club source tells the Herald that’s not accurate, and that Drake has not requested a trade.

After Sunday’s 43-0 mauling by the Patriots, the organization told Drake that report was inaccurate.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article235126002.html

for what its worth.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am

mercury22nathan wrote:evaluating this team's performance is next to impossible.  its like this year is going to be one long preseason with players in and out of the lineup to see who is worth keeping for next year.  and while i gotta think there are ways to rebuild a team while at least appearing to be competitive, if this is the way the Phins have chosen to do it, then i guess so be it.  but i must say, the offensive line is probably (no, not probably - definitely) the worst offensive line i have ever witnessed in professional football.  i kind of feel bad for Jessie Davis.  he'd make a decent back up at OG, but he is not a LT.  so i am not sure i can blame him for his pathetic play.  he didn't ask to be put at LT.  i just don't get some of decisions along the O-line.  what's the point of inserting FA garbage while young developing players ride the pine.  if the staff is afraid the young players aren't ready to play, nothing will let them grow like game experience.  and if they fail, well, how is that result any different than how the FA castoffs are performing?  even when Isidora was yanked, he was replaced by Boehm while Calhoun sat and watched.  once Davenport went to IR, they scrambled to sign and insert ineffective Webb.  why not give Prince (not active) a shot?  can he be that much worse?  i'm just not sure what the plan on the O-line is?

Yeah, there are certainly several ways to rebuild, and what the Dophins are doing is extreme. This season is very much like a 16-game preseason, as you said. Implementation, teaching and evaluation - that's what this season is about. And most of this roster will be gutted again next offseason - and honestly, many of these guys will never play in the NFL again.

My guess with the OL is that the coaches just want to try to stop the bleeding. You really can't evaluate anything on offense if the OL doesn't improve. For better or worse, we are set this season at LT, LG and C...we're going to ride or die with Davis, Dieter and Kilgore. It's the right side that has to be figured out:
--Danny Isidora and Evan Boehm are two of the young guys we hope to develop - they are only 25 and 26, respectively. So I'm totally OK with them playing at RG over Calhoun - who looked disastrous in preseason.
--RT is a different story. I think the plan was to develop Davenport, but with him on IR they just felt more comfortable starting the ultra-experienced Webb than Prince. Prince is crazy raw, but he had a pretty good showing in preseason. My guess is, he'll be a starter at some point this season - but they're not going to rush him.

I think that's the thing with this coaching staff - they aren't going to play anyone they feel isn't ready. Personally, I'm more on the side of "throw them in the fire and let them learn on the job", but I can certainly understand wanting to be sure they're ready first. We also have to remember that only two games have been played...so there is still a ton of time to get the young guys some experience.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

the team has denied any interest in wanting to trade Drake.  of course they said that about Tunsil too.

Game Thoughts: Week 2: Patriots at Dolphins Z

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

Stephen Ross actually articulated the "why" once more, and he did a pretty good job.

In short, he said "we evaluated the roster from both a talent and salary perspective and determined that we were far away from fielding a contender for several reasons. Instead of trying to keep patching holes in an effort to win 7 games a year, we cleaned house."

I totally get it. I expected ugly (I think?) but I must admit, I've been shocked by our ineptitude especially on offense. However, I SHOULD HAVE SEEN this coming. As a lifelong fan, my bias probably led me to believe that the Fins would surprise and win a few games. Looking back, that was foolish. We have guys starting that might not even qualify as backups for the real contenders in the league. You can't just throw a trash roster onto the field and think you'll perform.

I do expect us to get better over the next 3 months. The Jets and Bills could easily be beaten by this squad, it would not surprise me. For that to happen, though, the offensive line must start to gel and we need to stop with all the drops. Also, for God's sake we have to find a way to run the ball. We are so one dimensional it's awful to watch.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:43 am

white1 wrote:Stephen Ross actually articulated the "why" once more, and he did a pretty good job.

In short, he said "we evaluated the roster from both a talent and salary perspective and determined that we were far away from fielding a contender for several reasons.  Instead of trying to keep patching holes in an effort to win 7 games a year, we cleaned house."

I totally get it.  I expected ugly (I think?) but I must admit, I've been shocked by our ineptitude especially on offense.  However, I SHOULD HAVE SEEN this coming.  As a lifelong fan, my bias probably led me to believe that the Fins would surprise and win a few games.  Looking back, that was foolish.  We have guys starting that might not even qualify as backups for the real contenders in the league.  You can't just throw a trash roster onto the field and think you'll perform.

I do expect us to get better over the next 3 months.  The Jets and Bills could easily be beaten by this squad, it would not surprise me.  For that to happen, though, the offensive line must start to gel and we need to stop with all the drops.  Also, for God's sake we have to find a way to run the ball.  We are so one dimensional it's awful to watch.

Yep, that Ross quote says it all. We should all be embracing this..."patching holes" has been the plan for years, and it never works.

But yes, it's uglier than anyone expected. But really, who cares? Would it make anyone feel better if we lost 23-10 instead of 43-0? What's the difference - in the end, it's one loss in a season that we all expected to contain many, many losses.

On offense, I absolutely misjudged the talent level. I thought the OL would be serviceable, I thought the RBs would be OK, I thought the receivers/TEs would show some life. But the reality is, in two games all of these positions have been nothing but garbage. Throw Fitzmagic into the mix, and you have world-class ineptitude. Things will settle down at some point - they have to. And maybe Josh Rosen can make some things happen when he gets in there. But let's not kid ourselves...the talent on offense is piss poor. The two things I'm looking forward to this season are the development of Rosen and Preston Williams. Williams could be a special player if he can fix the drops.

Defense is a bit better - not good, but better. The lack of pass rush is the biggest hole, and even though it was a bit better yesetrday it is still not where it needs to be at all. Two things yesterday that were at least semi-positive were the play of DT John Jenkins and CB Jomal Wiltz. Jenkins was unblockable on a few plays, including one down when he absolutely crushed Patriot guard Sahq Mason (one of the best in the business). Wiltz really held his own at corner, even when he covered Antonio Brown. In fact, he had absolutely perfect position on the AB TD, and may have had a pick if not for the blatant (and unflagged) push-off. I also liked some of the things Christian Wilkins did yesterday.

I still expect this defense to get better throughout the season. The offense...I don't know. It all depends on how quickly Rosen can develop - and that will be determined by the OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Agree on defense, I was absolutely SHOCKED to see Brady getting sacked. I figured they'd run the ball down our throats but the D really hung in there until our lifeless offense asked for a bailout one too many times, then the wheels fell off.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:31 pm

Sounds like Fitz is still the starter. Ugh.

As a fan, I want to see Rosen starting...but I'm guessing he's not doing well in practice at this point. Starting Fitz really serves no purpose - but starting Rosen when he's not ready isn't going to help us evaluate him either. We're kinda fucked either way.

Ultimately, I don't think it matters if Rosen starts this week or 2-3 weeks from now. With the OL still unsettled, I don't think it makes a difference.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Full text from the Ross quote I referred to earlier, and nicely spoken by him. Also, the link to the article:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde/fl-sp--20190915-7r724tvv6vczxdzn7l2w362d6q-story.html

Ross: “The goal isn’t to try to patch some holes to go 9-7 and make the playoffs. I want to compete for and win Super Bowls. We took an objective look at our situation at the end of last year and realized that we were a long way away from where we need to be. Our roster, salary-cap situation, everything. We’ve won 72 games in 10 years and that’s just not good enough. I take responsibility for that, and as I said back in March, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. The moves that have been made were all made in the best interest in trying to build a championship organization.”
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks for posting that, white. Hard to believe that's Ross! He's really done a complete 180. A lot of people in his position wouldn't have the balls to admit that they were wrong, and then completely change their vision. Great to see that he is willing to try.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 pm

If Rosen's decision-making time on out throws does not speed up, he will never be a starter.

As far as Ross, it's nice that he's figured this out after this long, but in fairness, most people had this figured out a long time before he did.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:02 am

JMP wrote:As a fan, I want to see Rosen starting...but I'm guessing he's not doing well in practice at this point.

that does indeed seem to be the problem.

When asked Monday what Rosen needs to do start, Flores said: ““Do a good job in meetings, walk-throughs and practice.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article235146687.html

meetings, walk-throughs and practice - that's kind of like saying he needs to get better at everything.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:44 am

Myself, I don't want to see Rosen thrown to the wolves. Wait until the O-line has some cohesion.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next