The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rosen Starter for the rest of the season

5 posters

Go down

Rosen Starter for the rest of the season Empty Rosen Starter for the rest of the season

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Adam Wells wrote:The Miami Dolphins will remain Josh Rosen's team for the remainder of the 2019 season.

Per Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Dolphins head coach Brian Flores announced Wednesday their quarterback situation this year is "settled" with Rosen leading them.

Miami started this season with Ryan Fitzpatrick under center. He went 25-of-50 with 274 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions in two starts.

Flores gave the reins to Rosen starting in Week 3 against the Dallas Cowboys. The former UCLA star hasn't fared much better, completing 58.5 percent of his passes for 380 yards, one touchdown and one interceptions in two games.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2857349-brian-flores-says-josh-rosen-will-remain-dolphins-starting-qb-for-rest-of-season

The true experiment begins. Lets see if Rosen and Miami OL can handle playing against a horrible team like the Redskins. IMO, Miami wins the players will get a breath of fresh air, Miami losses and Flores losses the locker room

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Rosen Starter for the rest of the season Empty Re: Rosen Starter for the rest of the season

Post by JMP Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't think Flores will lose the locker room. The majority of the players on this roster won't be here next year, and they know it. This is a chance for these players to get noticed by other teams, and they can't do that if they aren't following the coaching staff's plans. Hell, a lot of these players would never have gotten a chance to play in a regular season game if the Dolphins didn't sign them. This season could be their only opportunity ever to show that they belong.

From what I've seen the last two weeks, even with ugly losses, I see a group of players that are buying in and playing hard. Now, they just need to limit mistakes and make plays. That's what it's all about.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Rosen Starter for the rest of the season Empty Re: Rosen Starter for the rest of the season

Post by JMP Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm

As for Rosen - no surprise at all that he's the starter the rest of the way. There's no other option.

Rosen needs to step up soon, because right now he doesn't even look like a quality backup. Sure, the OL is to blame for a lot of that, and the WRs need to catch the damn ball, but Rosen simply cannot make boneheaded mistakes like that almost-safety against the Chargers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm

Flores really only needs to win over those he's keeping.  He needs to identify his future leaders, because the rest of them can go pound salt.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:34 pm

With no foundation, we are rolling the dice. Although I 1000% agree with the roster purge, I don't agree that we havent improved the OL. The defense could have taken a back seat in my personal opinion. The evaluation of the QB position should have been the first and foremost priority. Surround him with a decent to good OL. We need to see if he has what it takes. Right now all I see is Ryan Tannehill trying to make a play all over again.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 am

so now this could just be the memory of recently watching highlights of Marino's rookie season talking, but barring some sort of miracle transition, i just don't think Rosen has it. i'm not saying he can't be an average to decent game-manager QB. hey, some of those types of guys (Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, etc.) have won Super Bowls with savage defenses and a running game. and then there are the decent QBs who happen to catch playoff lightening in a bottle (Eli Manning [multiple times], Joe Flacco and Nick Foles). but damn it, i don't want that. i want a guy who everyone knows, HE'S THE MAN the minute he takes his first snap. i want a guy who he himself knows, HE'S THE MAN the minute he steps on the field. Marino, Elway, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson, Mahomes. Sometimes it may take a little time for their talent to sync up with the pro level (Favre), but the way they carry themselves and lead those around them, there is never any doubt that they have "it".

i know, i know, poor Rosen can't shine behind this pathetic o-line. but when you see Rosen in the pocket under pressure, you just don't see what those stars would've (and do) given you. a young (never nimble) Marino would avoid pressure and sacks with a slight step or lean always with eyes downfield and then rifle a ball through a tight window into a receivers gut. Wilson and Mahomes will roll and zip back and forth across the pocket dodging free rushers and then launch an improbable pass into the waiting hands of a "covered" WR.

at best, if he is sometimes good (maybe occasionally great) and sometimes not so good, Rosen is what he is - middle of the pack. so i guess to me, it really doesn't matter what Rosen does these next 12 games (again, barring a miracle), the Phins still need to find their QB star of the future.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:30 am

I agree, merc. Well said.

I was happy with the Rosen trade, and still believe it was worth the risk. But, I've seen nothing in Rosen that inspires confidence. He plays like a JAG, and I don't see any trace of leadership ability. He occasionally throws a nice ball, but clearly has trouble reading defenses both pre and post snap, and he's not comfortable making decisions. Sure, he's young and can still develop, but I see rookie QBs like Daniel Jones and Gardner Minshew that already look much better than Rosen. Even Kyle Allen, an undrafted rookie in his second season, looks a lot better than Rosen.

I never thought Rosen was the long-term answer, but he's been a huge disappointment to this point. The schedue gets easier so I'm not giving up on him, but I really have no expectations.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:38 am

true JMP. Minshew is a good example. he may not be the most technically talented QB (and he may even flame out long term), but when he is on the field, there is no doubt whose team it is. as opposed to Rosen...

“The way I am sort of approaching this year is I feel like I am really just trying out for the team,” Rosen said Wednesday. “I feel like I am auditioning and I am trying to put my best foot forward and prove to everyone upstairs and coach Flo and Mr. Grier that I am the man moving forward.

“It is not like what you would — I don’t know, it’s a different circumstance than a lot of other quarterbacks have been put in. But it is the one that I have been given, and I am taking it in full stride and I am excited to hopefully prove over these next 12 more weeks that I am their guy moving forward.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article235980657.html

someone want to remind Josh he's the f'ing starting QB of an NFL franchise - RIGHT NOW!! trying out? auditioning? hopefully prove? where is the "this is my team" right now attitude and go out and make some plays and provide some leadership? teammates do not have confidence in or are inspired by a guy who feels like he is "auditioning."

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:14 pm

We've all seen enough around here to know when a guy has "it". Rosen doesn't. He's another version of Ryan Tannehill, not in talent, but where he is in the pecking order of QBs.

That last quote you provided there, Merc, that's it in a nutshell. The extra umph isn't there for him. He'll never be great.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:47 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:true JMP.  Minshew is a good example.  he may not be the most technically talented QB (and he may even flame out long term), but when he is on the field, there is no doubt whose team it is.  as opposed to Rosen...

“The way I am sort of approaching this year is I feel like I am really just trying out for the team,” Rosen said Wednesday. “I feel like I am auditioning and I am trying to put my best foot forward and prove to everyone upstairs and coach Flo and Mr. Grier that I am the man moving forward.

“It is not like what you would — I don’t know, it’s a different circumstance than a lot of other quarterbacks have been put in. But it is the one that I have been given, and I am taking it in full stride and I am excited to hopefully prove over these next 12 more weeks that I am their guy moving forward.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article235980657.html

someone want to remind Josh he's the f'ing starting QB of an NFL franchise - RIGHT NOW!!  trying out?  auditioning?  hopefully prove?  where is the "this is my team" right now attitude and go out and make some plays and provide some leadership?  teammates do not have confidence in or are inspired by a guy who feels like he is "auditioning."

Amazing. If I were Rosen, I'd have the attitude of "You're going to have to pry the football out of my cold, dead hands before I let you take MY starting job. I'm going to carry this team on my back and make sure you forget all abot Tua, Herbert, and any other fucking QB you can think of." This wishy washy "I'm auditioning" attitude is for pussies.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down