The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UPDATE: Rosen cut!!

+4
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
JMP
white1
8 posters

Go down

UPDATE: Rosen cut!! Empty UPDATE: Rosen cut!!

Post by white1 Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am

Twitter and PFT reporting:  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/03/report-dolphins-fielding-trade-inquiries-on-josh-rosen/

Really it's a shame, and no way we will get our value back no one is giving us a 2nd round pick for him.

At this point, I'd almost lean towards keeping him on the roster, he has more value to us as a 3rd string QB with some upside, than the 6th or 7th round pick we would get in return.  

Oh well.  I guess I don't really care all that much one way or the other.  Not a great move in hindsight, but again the worse thing to do is hold on to a player the front office just doesn't believe in...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Rosen cut!! Empty Re: UPDATE: Rosen cut!!

Post by JMP Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm

WOW! Shocked

This seems crazy on paper, given Tua's inexperience. I guess the coaches just don't think Rosen is good enough. Personally, I'd hang onto him for now.

Have to believe his value is at an all-time low.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:57 am

You know my opinion Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 am

Flores confirms.

Flores confirmed that the Dolphins have fielded calls from other teams about a potential trade for Josh Rosen, who looks increasingly like the odd man out in the team’s three-man quarterback competition.

“It’s the day before cutdown day,” Flores said. “There’s a lot of names floating around. Chris [Grier] is fielding calls left and right about Josh and a handful of other players. I think that’s the case around the league.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article245340460.html

it doesn't mean a trade in imminent and "fielding calls" is a little different than "shopping".

how does Rosen feel about all this...

[quote“I was drafted in the first round, and I think people around the league still think I can play to a certain extent,” Rosen said. “Whenever that opportunity comes, wherever it comes, I just want to be prepared for it. Because they’re few and far between. I didn’t do great with the two I already had. Not many people get third chances. I’m definitely going to seize the opportunity when it comes.”][/quote]

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article245000370.html

seize the third chance? hey bro, why didn't you do that with the first two? not exactly the attitude of a guy that seems ready to seize a starting, or a back-up even, opportunity. seems kind of ho-hum.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:55 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
how does Rosen feel about all this...

[quote“I was drafted in the first round, and I think people around the league still think I can play to a certain extent,” Rosen said. “Whenever that opportunity comes, wherever it comes, I just want to be prepared for it. Because they’re few and far between. I didn’t do great with the two I already had. Not many people get third chances. I’m definitely going to seize the opportunity when it comes.”]

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article245000370.html

seize the third chance?  hey bro, why didn't you do that with the first two?  not exactly the attitude of a guy that seems ready to seize a starting, or a back-up even, opportunity.  seems kind of ho-hum. [/quote]

Yep. Also seems odd that he says teams still think he can play "to a certain extent".

He seems like he lacks confidence, which isn't surprising, but the bottom line is that some guys have that "fire in the belly" and some guys don't. Sure seems like Rosen doesn't.

I wouldn't at all be opposed to dumping Rosen for whatever we can get, and re-signing Jake Rudock to be the #3 (or practice squad) QB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:11 am

It isn't a trade I will second guess. Any time you get a top 10 pick after one year on his rookie contract for a low second rounder, you take it as long as there's nothing physically wrong with him. It just didn't work out, but I thought it was a sound move at the time.

That said, wow. He's only 23. It may well be another Jake Locker situation. Hell, Locker lost his job to Ryan Fitzpatrick too.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-cut-former-first-round-pick-josh-rosen-after-failing-to-find-suitable-trade-per-report/

The Dolphins struck a dramatic trade on during Day 2 of the 2019 NFL Draft, landing former No. 10 overall pick Josh Rosen from the Cardinals in exchange for a second-round pick. A little over 16 months later, Miami has become the second team to move on from the former top prospect, as ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins are set to release the quarterback before Saturday's roster cuts deadline.

I guess it's the same deal as the Jags with Fournette: no team thought it was smart to trade even a 7th for Rosen. WOW! In a league starved for QBs, it's insane to think that this dude has no value at all.

Time for Tua to step up!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:57 am

This is another wonderful move. Well done. Things are on the right track.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:43 pm

I do like the fact that this new regime isn't keeping players that suck. Charles Harris - one and done. Josh Rosen - one and done. Unlike past regimes, who kept crappy players forever because...well... who knows why.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:28 pm

We do have to let go of this notion that the original trade for Rosen wasn't a terrible mistake of a move though.  If that pick had become nothing more than a special teamer, it would have had far more positive outcome than what we got in Rosen.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Degarmo wrote:We do have to let go of this notion that the original trade for Rosen wasn't a terrible mistake of a move though.  If that pick had become nothing more than a special teamer, it would have had far more positive outcome than what we got in Rosen.

I like the way you said we told you so...I mean, summed up the situation Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 pm

Grier stinks. This is just an over and over again issue with our drafts and trades.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Willing to give Grier a little leeway. The value we've been getting back in trades has improved considerably with Tannenbaum gone.

Outcome of the Rosen deal isn't good, but it was a gamble worth taking IMO.

Certainly we got good value back for Tunsil and Stills.

Fitzpatrick, under the circumstances getting the # 18 pick of the draft back was as good an outcome as we could expect.

Kenyan Drake deal doesn't look so bad when you consider we basically turned that pick into Matt Breida. Up to this point, they've essentially had the same value.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:01 pm

The Rosen trade was a good move, even if it ultimately failed. The Phins got a young top 10 QB for essentially nothing. Until you have a QB, you have to do whatever it takes to get one. This time it didn't work out, but it was a chance worth taking.

Grier has done a masterful job with trades since he took over. No complaints at all from me. Not every trade is going to work out, but so far all the Grier trades have been good values and we haven't gotten ripped off like we used to.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:55 pm

We shall disagree. I see it as a waste of a pick as I never felt Rosen was worth it. It would be like trading a 2nd for Tim Couch. If Jeff Ireland did something of that magnitude, Dolfandom would have come unhinged.

I am, in general, happy with most of the moves post-Tannenbaum, however.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Grier (IMO) should get a lot of positive credit for the players he traded away last season.

Minkah Fitzpatrick said enough publicly to really harm his value, but Grier was able to salvage a first round pick. Both teams got good value, you can say Pittsburgh "won" the trade but that first round pick was either Austin Jackson or the corner from Auburn, both of whom had great camps and won starting jobs.

The haul he got for Tunsil and Stills (the WR was a throwaway) was absolutely ridiculous, and is probably one of the reasons OBrien will ultimately be fired in Houston. That's a QB return for a LT - not a great move.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:24 pm

Degarmo wrote:It would be like trading a 2nd for Tim Couch.  If Jeff Ireland did something of that magnitude, Dolfandom would have come unhinged.

I don't think I could ever be pissed off at a GM that traded a 2nd and 5th (and then got the 2nd back) for a QB that was drafted in the top 10 the previous year. If you don't have a QB, that's a gamble worth taking every time. The pick compensation was minimal, the salary was minimal, and we got a chance to work with a top 10 talent at the most important position in football. It didn't work out this time - but that doesn't mean it wasn't a smart gamble.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:33 pm

white1 wrote:

The haul he got for Tunsil and Stills (the WR was a throwaway) was absolutely ridiculous, and is probably one of the reasons OBrien will ultimately be fired in Houston.  That's a QB return for a LT - not a great move.

That Texans team looked terrible last night, and I don't see them getting much better as the season progresses. On offense, they have a borderline-great QB in Watson and a phoenix-like David Johnson at RB...and really nothing else. Every one of their receivers is injury-prone, and none of them is more than a #2...with most best suited to being the #3 or 4 receiver on a legit offense. Their OL is atrocious - Tunsil is their only decent lineman, and in addition to being a penalty machine he also plays very lazy half the time. Hopkins was their entire offense - and now that he's gone, they have nothing. On D, they still have a strong DL, but their LBs are nothing special and their secondary is weak.

The biggest problem of all is O'Brien - and he's calling all the shots. And I don't think he's going to fire himself!

I hope they totally tank this season...we still have their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2021 draft! Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:19 am

That Texans team looked terrible last night, and I don't see them getting much better as the season progresses. On offense, they have a borderline-great QB in Watson and a phoenix-like David Johnson at RB...and really nothing else. Every one of their receivers is injury-prone, and none of them is more than a #2...with most best suited to being the #3 or 4 receiver on a legit offense. Their OL is atrocious - Tunsil is their only decent lineman, and in addition to being a penalty machine he also plays very lazy half the time. Hopkins was their entire offense - and now that he's gone, they have nothing. On D, they still have a strong DL, but their LBs are nothing special and their secondary is weak.

I will say it's hard to ever draw conclusions from week 1, but I agree with your thinking and here are a couple additional thoughts.

First off the situation, with no offseason and being week 1, it's not hard to envision an offense who just traded off their top dog at WR would look a bit rough. Granted. The contrast with KC was stark - I mean Reid had his guys looking like it was mid season they were hitting on all cylinders. One more comment, many teams will look bad against the Chiefs. Their offense is clearly other-world caliber, and their defense is actually under rated. They will embarrass many teams this season.

Now to the game itself. My work fantasy league (8th annual) draft had just occurred on Wednesday night. My opponent had Fuller on his squad. For at least the first 2 and a half quarters it seemed all Watson was doing was going to Fuller. Looking at their receivers... yes. It's a collection of 2nd and 3rd options with no physical, down field target for your big, mobile, strong-arm QB to take advantage of. I wondered if Stills was even on the field until he caught a pass when the game was already out of hand and approaching garbage-time territory. The score made it look closer than it was, the Chiefs were never really in any jeopardy of losing that game.

Could not agree more on Tunsil. I smiled to myself when he had that early false start. I don't wish him any ill will but I can guarantee those penalties were in Grier's mind when he was executing the trade. Clearly he has trouble focusing, and it's going to cost them points and games until the end of time. We saw it here in Miami, and it's not solved. I don't think it ever will be solved.

The biggest problem of all is O'Brien - and he's calling all the shots. And I don't think he's going to fire himself!

By the way, thinking about their receivers do you think we can get another 2 firsts and 2 seconds in return for DeVante Parker? Kidding of course but in all seriousness, he is the kind of guy they need for Watson to heave it down the field. If Preston Williams starts performing like a #1 receiver this season (and he showed signs last year), there is an opportunity to trade Parker to Houston. In fact, Williams is taller and might even be better in the long run.

O'Brien has been there long enough and had his chances with an elite, franchise caliber QB and tons of talent on defense. If anything, they have actually under-achieved. The quicker that owner can hire an actual GM and let him hire a head coach, the better. This really should be his last season and if Thursday night's performance is any indicator, it will be.

I hope they totally tank this season...we still have their 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2021 draft!

Amen! Going back to my hypothetical trade for Parker, the problem is we've already decimated the Texans 2021 draft picks. Maybe a 3rd in 2021, plus a 1st in 2022, and a player we like - perhaps a defensive lineman? LOL!

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:26 pm

Nothing would surprise me with O'Brien!

I've been down on the Texans all offseason, so week 1 is exactly what I expected. Can't see them winning much with no OL and that WR group. The scary thing is, what happens when (not if) Fuller gets hurt again?

As for Tunsil, every time I key on him I see him giving up on the play if it goes on too long...he doesn't sustain his blocks or keep his man engaged. That's a bad habit when you have a QB that constantly moves around and buys time.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm

I think taking a shot on Rosen was worth it. Kudos for not hanging on to him when it was obvious he was nothing special though.

You can't go too much on Week 1 games IMO. Especially in this pandemic year. Heck, you may not be able to tell until Week 4 or so.

But yeah....I think Bill O'Brien may have gotten himself fired with some of those personnel moves he made. Be nice if they stunk it up all season so the draft picks are super high!
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down