The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals

+2
mercury22nathan
rightchea
6 posters

Go down

Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals Empty Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Patra wrote:The Miami Dolphins' fire sale could continue up until the Oct. 29 trade deadline.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that the Dolphins have had trade conversations with teams centered around running back Kenyan Drake, and the team has indicated it would trade him if the right offer presented itself, per sources informed of the situation.

Drake is playing out the final year of his rookie contract. Rapoport added that sides have had no extension talks since training camp, and the running back would welcome a new opportunity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066483/article/dolphins-engaged-in-talks-to-trade-rb-kenyan-drake

I not seeing Miami getting much for Drake. TBH he not worth trading, keep him and make his value go up for the off season

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals Empty Re: Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am

Whether Drake is traded this year or not, he is unlikely to return to the team next year. He’s a free agent and he wants to play for a team that will value his talents, including his 4.3 speed, to a greater degree. He wants to maximize his payday, which is understandable.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, haven’t highly valued Drake under two different coaching staffs. Last year, as the offense struggled to move the football, Drake was limited on run downs because he too often improvised and that led to losses on carries -- something the Dolphins could not overcome.

This year, the Brian Flores coaching staff moved second-year running back Kalen Ballage ahead of Drake as the starter in training camp. When that proved unsuccessful after three or four regular season games, the team moved Ballage out of the starting lineup.

And last Sunday Miami started former third-string running back Mark Walton.

Ahead of Drake.

Coaches also haven’t loved some of Drake’s practice habits, according to a source.

When the team and Drake’s agents had brief contract extension talks in early September, they were not on the same page. Indeed, a source said the Dolphins made an offer and got no response. Drake’s value for himself is apparently much higher than what the team is willing to invest.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article236392638.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals Empty Re: Kenyan Drake on Trade block - UPDATE: traded to Cardinals

Post by JMP Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:29 am

College or NFL...doesn't matter who the coaches are...no one feels comfortable making Drake a starter or a work-horse back. I think he's got almost zero value on the trade market, especially since he is set to become a free agent. He does have skills, but there are a million backs that can do what he does.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am

Yep. Hell I'd take a 7th for him and just move on.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:10 am

I've seen enough of Drake to know that he's not part of the long-range plans. I'm ready to see what the younger guys like Laird and Gaskin can do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Funny thing is Drake has a okay ranking from many ranking sites. Like Lamar Miller, Drake will be used some where else he will find a team like the Titans that needs a speed back

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 am

Drake not with the team tonight sounds like he might be gone after monday

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:28 am

Sounds like the trade is just about completed...but no one knows what team he's getting traded to! I wonder if that means other players are involved?? My guess is the Lions, maybe the Jags.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:19 am

Drake traded to Arizona for a 2020 conditional pick. No details yet...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:25 am

@AdamSchefter
Compensation update: Arizona is trading a 2020 6th-round pick that could become a 5th-round pick to Miami in exchange for RB Kenyan Drake, per source.

Good job by Grier, getting at least something for a guy we were going to let go in the offseason.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:05 pm

He definitely gets a high five for getting something for nothing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:40 pm

They sure seem to be dumping anybody who was too firmly a Gase-disciple it seems to me.

Or is it just anybody who has ANY trade value?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 pm

finfanatic wrote:They sure seem to be dumping anybody who was too firmly a Gase-disciple it seems to me.

Or is it just anybody who has ANY trade value?

I think each case is different. Tunsil was traded because the Texans offered a fortune. Fitzpatrick was traded because he didn't want to be a Dolphin and the Steelers offered a first rounder. Drake was traded because he didn't fit into the team's plans and wasn't going to be re-signed after the season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:23 pm

yeah once you in the situation where either get something or get nothing for someone makes sense to try and trade him away. Who knows Miami might get someone within the sixth round that will be a better player than who we have now

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Agree.

Plus, Drake still thinks he is a bell-cow starting running back when no coaching staff going all the way back to Nick Saban in Alabama has ever believed he can be that guy.

He's more of a poor man's Alvin Kamara and he definitely needs the Ingram counterpart to share the load.

O'Shea is probably looking for those Patriots-type backs that can all run and catch pretty well, and they use 3 running backs in various formations. It's also hard (at least for me) to predict what the Pats are doing when one of the 3 backs is on the field. It's not really "this guy means pass, that guy means run".

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:58 pm

rightchea wrote:yeah once you in the situation where either get something or get nothing for someone makes sense to try and trade him away. Who knows Miami might get someone within the sixth round that will be a better player than who we have now

Exactly. Better to get any pick than no pick at all. Especially since Drake is a running back...seems like teams are able to find good/great backs anywhere these days - no need to pay a lot at that position.

On this same subject, I think the Jets did a great job with their trade of Leonard Williams today. They got a 3rd in 2020 and a conditional 5th in 2021 (that will become a 4th as soon as the Giants sign him to a long-term deal). He's a FA after the season and the Jets weren't going to re-sign him, so they got a couple of decent picks from the Giants. Smart move.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:04 pm

white1 wrote:Agree.

Plus, Drake still thinks he is a bell-cow starting running back when no coaching staff going all the way back to Nick Saban in Alabama has ever believed he can be that guy.

He's more of a poor man's Alvin Kamara and he definitely needs the Ingram counterpart to share the load.

O'Shea is probably looking for those Patriots-type backs that can all run and catch pretty well, and they use 3 running backs in various formations.  It's also hard (at least for me) to predict what the Pats are doing when one of the 3 backs is on the field.  It's not really "this guy means pass, that guy means run".

Drake is really just a dime-a-dozen type back...he can do a lot of things well, but he's not great at any one thing.  And as you point out, no one thinks he is a #1 back.

I absolutely LOVE the way the Patriots use their RBs.  It's simply amazing...a three-and-a-half head monster (Michel, White and Burkhead as the three full heads, and Brandon Bolden as the half-head...STs demon that can run, block and catch when called upon.)  I'd be super excited if we could ever get to that level.  

And BTW, I think Patrick Laird will fit in really well as a Patriots-style back.  Hopefully the Phins add him to the regular roster now that Drake is gone.  He reminded me a bit of Rex Burkhead when I watched him in the preseason...a tough, do-whatever-it-takes type.

Last edited by JMP on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:48 pm

and with that trade Miami is at 11 pick for 2020:
1st
1st (via PIT)
1st (via HOU)
2nd
2nd (via NO)
3rd
5th (via PIT)
6th (via ARI, can become 5)
6th (via DAL)
6th
7th (via IND, can become 6)

Not to mention that Miami might get a pick for the James trade

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:28 pm

Glad they got something for a JAG scat back.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down