The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins

+3
Degarmo
DolFan 316
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins  Empty Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins

Post by JMP Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:41 pm

What a game! The Dolphins got their 4th win if the season, defeating the Bengals 38-35 on a last-second overtime FG. The teams combined for over 900 yards, and it was the most entertaining Dolphins game I’ve seen in years.

The Dolphins dominated the first 3 quarters of the game, but the Bengals exploded for 23 4th-quarter points to send the game to OT. The teams traded punts, and then the Phins won on a 37-yard Jason Sanders FG as time expired. Isaiah Ford’s huge 28-yard catch-and-run set up the winning FG.

Ryan FitzMAGIC was simply outstanding today, throwing for 419 yards and 4 TDs. I can’t say enough about this guy – he is so fun to watch, and he is a true leader. Just awesome.

The wide receivers were fantastic, with DeVante Parker, Albert Wilson, Allen Hurns and Ford combining for 19 catches for 299 yards. Parker led the way for 5 catches for 111 yards and a TD. Wilson displayed his excellent run after the catch ability. TE Mike Gesicki had a couple of rough moments, but still managed to haul in 6 catches for 82 yards and 2 TDs. This group was almost unstoppable today, and really gave some hope for the future.

The running game was quiet much of the game, but rookie Myles Gaskin came alive in the 4th quarter. He ended up with 55 yards and his first NFL TD before exiting with what appeared to be an ugly ankle injury.

The OL was mostly awful, allowing Fitzpatrick to get pounded all day and doing very little in run blocking for much of the game.

The defense was absolutely dominant for the first 3 quarters, limiting the Bengals to just 12 points before their 4th quarter explosion. Andy Dalton really caught fire and shredded the no-name Miami secondary in that final quarter, but fortunately the D re-grouped and played great in OT. It’s amazing to watch guys that weren’t on the team just two weeks ago make key plays, like DBs Nate Brooks and Tae Harris. It’s a testament to this coaching staff that they can get all these newcomers up to speed so quickly.

Amazingly, the Dolphins actually got consistent pressure on Dalton throughout the game, ending with 4 sacks. Christian Wilkins had a big game, with a sack and a receiving TD out of the fullback position. Rookie Andrew van Ginkel was all over the place, with a tackle for loss, QB pressure and a recovered fumbled (forced by Trent Harris on a sack.) The run D was outstanding, limiting the Bengals to under 60 yards. RB Joe Mixon had been one of the league’s most productive backs in recent weeks, but the Phins held him to 50 yards at just 2.4 yards per carry. Excellent!

A quick note about all the roster churning we’ve seen. The Dolphins have used 81 players this season, a simply mind-boggling number. When you raid other teams’ practice squads and sign street free agents, you get a chance to evaluate players and hopefully find a gem or two. Well, the Dolphins have found a gem in DT Zach Sieler. He looked like a man among boys today, showing tremendous strength and collapsing the pocket multiple times. He even tackled Mixon with one arm from behind on a play. Sieler ended up with 7 tackles, a sack and 2 batted passes. Just amazing to see.

In the end, this team never gave up and they found a way to win. Yes, the 4th quarter collapse was ugly, and it would’ve been easy for a 3-win team to roll over and die in OT after that display. But the Miami Dolphins didn’t roll over. They gathered themselves together, and they fought as hard as they could – as a team. I don’t mean to sound dramatic, but this was really something special to see.

This was a really great win for the organization. Watching all these unwanted and unheralded players fight tooth and nail and never quit is truly inspiring. If nothing else this season, I am confident in saying that we have a coaching staff that knows how to develop players – and that is a HUGE positive going forward.

Hero of the Game: Ryan Fitzpatrick, all the WRs, and Mike Gesicki. Unbelievable performances from all of those guys.

Goat of the Game: The OL was, again, dreadful.

Beer of the Game: Montauk Wave Chaser IPA and Founders All Day IPA

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins  Empty Re: Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:45 pm

I was really worried about your health and hoping you were still with us, seriously. Glad you made it! cheers cheers cheers I can't even BEGIN to imagine what it must've felt like watching them try their best to replicate the damn Jets game from 19 years ago Shocked

Knowing what I do now, if they had actually lost this I would have legit walked away for good instead of talking JEGnj out of doing the same.

EDIT: Give me Fitz over Tannehill all day every day 25/8, baby!!! cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins  Empty Re: Game Thoughts: Week 16: Bengals at Dolphins

Post by Degarmo Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Those were entertaining highlights to watch.

I was amazed that they blew that lead with 6:12 to go in the game.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:38 pm

It's so hard to see positives when 2 of the worst 3 teams in the league slugged it out and the Bugles had #1 pick in the bag. Would much rather be playing for playoff seeding or first round bye. I hit my breaking point today.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm

JEGnj wrote:It's so hard to see positives when 2 of the worst 3 teams in the league slugged it out and the Bugles had #1 pick in the bag. Would much rather be playing for playoff seeding or first round bye. I hit my breaking point today.

You will be fine, this will pass. Just enjoy Christmas and take a break. I've got your back so just PM me if you really want to talk about stuff.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Let's not lose sight of the fact that this year, for the most part, was to find players that MAY be part of the core to a winning franchise. If you look at it from that perspective, we have identified many that look to be part of the future. Some, in bigger roles (Parker), than others, but, part of the future, nonetheless.

I was impressed with DT Zach Sieler, #92. He was all over the place today, making plays. Another who impressed me was LB Munson, #48. He too, was all over the field. VanGinkel made plays too. Some of the new DB's, made some nice plays as well. Biegle has potential.

I liked how Gaskin ran hard today. Hopefully, his injury is not too bad.

I think Gisecki has really stepped up and become a pro this year. Other than that, need all new TE's. If I see Walford drop anther pass...........

I think we are in good shape at WR, with Devante, Hurns, Ford, Preston coming back, Wilson, if they resign him and Jakeem coming back from injury. I would like a young stud WR in the draft, maybe 3rd rd or so. Not a real high priority early.

Not sure what to make of the Taco situation, second time in three weeks inactive, not a good sign.

Obviously, both lines need lots of help. I think most of the starters on the OL are either backups, or not on the roster next year.

Definitely need a young stud RB in draft or FA.

Obviously, QB is the main need. Not necessarily as the starter for next year (I see Fitz starting), but as the QB of future. Not rosen. I'm fine with Tua at 4 or 5.

Yes. it would have been great to be  couple of picks higher in the draft, but we have so much flexibility and ammunition, we can still have a very strong draft. I see/want at least 4 to 6 starters out of this draft, probably 2 on each line.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 am

Great post, scot.

The WR group is getting better each week. Definitely no longer a priority, but a later-round pick would be a good idea. Ford is really coming on strong, and with Wilson being healthy I think he's a keeper...his speed and run after catch ability really fit this offense.

Van Ginkel is definitely a player to watch. Seems like he is always around the ball. Munson played very well for his first game too.

This coaching staff is really doing an amazing job developing players. And really, other than finding a QB, having a good coaching staff in place was the biggest Dolphin need by far - and it looks like we have finally found one. I love the way the offense is developing...but we need to fix the OL and find a running game, and of course get a QB. I really like the schemes on defense, but right now we just don't have the pass rush and the secondary is much too inexperienced. Things are definitely trending in the right direction from my view.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am

the truth is - this was a meaningless game. two horrible teams with more to gain by losing than winning. and yet, the Phins didn't allow that to creep into their psyche. and even though it meant a dropping draft status, i loved seeing the Phins manhandle Cincy and pummel them until they had a 23 point 4th quarter lead. and then... it was infuriating. it was, here we go again. the inevitable collapse. it was dumbfounded astonishment as Cincy scored, got a 2 point conversion, recovered an onside kick, scored on a (short) hail Mary and got another 2 point conversion. only to then have Gesicki wash away all the good he had done by dropping a last gasp of hope. the OT was about which team could be less incompetent. and then Fitzpatrick said to hell with this and willed his team down the field into position for the game winning kick.

i loved it. i hated it. but it revealed, the Miami Dolphins still pull at my soul just like they always have - and i fear, always will.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:28 am

mercury22nathan wrote:the truth is - this was a meaningless game.  two horrible teams with more to gain by losing than winning.  and yet, the Phins didn't allow that to creep into their psyche.  and even though it meant a dropping draft status, i loved seeing the Phins manhandle Cincy and pummel them until they had a 23 point 4th quarter lead.  and then...  it was infuriating.  it was, here we go again.  the inevitable collapse.  it was dumbfounded astonishment as Cincy scored, got a 2 point conversion, recovered an onside kick, scored on a (short) hail Mary and got another 2 point conversion.  only to then have Gesicki wash away all the good he had done by dropping a last gasp of hope.  the OT was about which team could be less incompetent.  and then Fitzpatrick said to hell with this and willed his team down the field into position for the game winning kick.

i loved it.  i hated it.  but it revealed, the Miami Dolphins still pull at my soul just like they always have - and i fear, always will.  

I think the difference in this game was, they actually found a way to win. I told 316 off-board that every Dolphins team of the past 30 or so years would have lost that game in OT yesterday. I truly believe that. A 4th quarter collapse like that would have absolutely devastated the teams coached by JJ, Wanny, Sparano, Philbin and Gase - no doubt. But not this team. They just went back to work, never panicked, and did what they had to do. Sure, it was ugly, and sure, the Bengals are a 1-win team, and sure, it didn't mean anything in terms of this season's record. But what it did do was show that Flores is a tough, no-nonsense coach that knows how to motivate his team and doesn't fold under pressure. In many ways, this game could be a defining moment for the Dolphins' organization. There's a new look and feel to this team. No more weak, undisciplined football in Miami. And we did it with a cast of nobodies...Sieler, Munson, Ford, Van Ginkel, Brooks - all of these no-name players played a big part in the win. Just think what Flores and staff can do if they have real players to work with.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:36 am

We have played a week schedule against bad teams. These no names have stepped up and played good in a failed season but really 3/4 of this team are backups and PS players and won't be here after 2 more drafts.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:04 pm

JEGnj wrote:We have played a week schedule against bad teams. These no names have stepped up and played good in a failed season but really 3/4 of this team are backups and PS players and won't be here after 2 more drafts.

The point is to establish a culture: a culture of tough, fundamentally-sound football played by high-character, team-first men. Once that culture has been established, you constantly add players that fit the mold...and if they don't fit, you dump them. This is the culture the Patriots (and Steelers, Packers and Ravens, for that matter) set all those years ago, and if you do it right it works.

If all we get out of this season is a strong coaching staff and the "right" culture, then the season has been a MASSIVE success. The steps we have taken this season will set the team up for future success. We appear to have the coaches and identity, now we need to get the players - and we have tons of draft picks and money to get that done. We are in a great position to turn this thing around quickly, even if it doesn't seem that way after struggling to beat a 1-win team. It's all about the big picture.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm

scotgif wrote:

Not sure what to make of the Taco situation

I have said this many times sitting on the throne before the situation became readily, and expeditiously, apparent.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:43 am

TMI, Degarmo.  TMI.    Very Happy

Every time I hear the word "taco" now, I think of this:

Never gets old...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks for sharing that video!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down